Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: 3.0 Diesel Patrol

Post by ricster »

As everyone has said above, the 3.0 post 2005 is definitively the way to go if you want a good economical Patrol ( if there is such a thing....haha )

I drive a Y61 (1999 model) 4.2 turbo diesel, and after a bit of engine problems from lack of certain maintenance ( old worn injectors ) from previous owner, I now have the most fantastic machine that has NO electronics so can be repaired with a piece of wire and pliers and possibly a 4 pound hammer anywhere in Africa.

But yes I service religiously every 5000Km with Caltex Delo 400 ( 10 odd Litres ) and 2 oil filters (the motor comes out standard with this configuration ). I work 7 Km from home and most of my driving is stop-start switch off-switch on driving as its my daily drive. Here I get about 17L/100Km, but I also pull away from a robot with gusto, and not like " driving miss Daisy ". I also have 33" muddies and a roof rack ( this steals fuel from your tank ). I love the sound of the turbo whistling and waste gate opening on gear changes through the 3" exhaust.... makes me feel like a kid again.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But when I head out to Ponta do Ouro, or Lesotho, or anywhere for that matter on a long trip, I get down to 14.5L/100Km, driving nicely at an average 115 - 120Km/h. This is fully loaded. When empty or lighter load, I can get down to 14L/100Km. This is working it out on the oddometer, so might be a bit better if I work it out on the GPS.

There is no real difference between all the Patrols, I like the diesel, I like the sound, and I like the fact that there is no electronics to complicate anything if you go long and far overlanding. Peter Connan has the same attitude I think with his petrol 4.2, which now has a carburetted Patrol 4.5 petrol motor in, without the ECU and injectors. He too now has piece of mind that no electrical fault can go wrong ( can be repaired with a piece of wire and pliers and possibly a 4 pound hammer anywhere in Africa.)

But don't underestimate the ECU in the other Patrols, I have yet to hear of anyones ECU konking out ( other than Ollie when he deeply drowned his Patrol..... hmmmm... did the ECU even need replacing or did he salvage it.... can't recall), but anyway.... what ever Patrol you choose, just choose what you want.

I was never a fan of the 3.0 Patrol, but after seeing what these can do in many different scenarios, I would not hesitate to buy one. I would even buy a running pre 2004 ( at a good price ) open up the motor, check the pistons and rings, put new bearings and ensure all the bits and pieces a re working well ( re-map the ECU )and Bob's ya Aunty
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
miner
Full Name: PJC
Nickname: miner
Home Town: Farm Umeiss (Southern Namibia) and Rivonia
Current 4x4: Patrol3.0 CRD
Home Language: English

Post by miner »

I am now on my third Patrol 3.0

The first one was a 2001 and the motor blew up
Second was a 2008 never missed a beat traded it at end of service plan.
Current one - I got at the end of last year and apart from a small panhard rod issue, it goes beautifully, quieter, more fuel efficient and feels more drivable than the 2008 model, if that makes sense
The new ones fuel consumption is just under 13l/100km when not loaded and just over when fully loaded worst has been 13.5l/100kms, that's over landing of course.

My opinion you can't go wrong with a post 2005 model
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by JoshJ »

Mine went for its first 15K service yesterday. Blanked of the egr. I dont experience the increase in boost as described in the reference doc. There is a power difference. Over taking is a breeze now. Dono if its deu to the service or the egr. In the process of blocking of the egr it was clear that the pic in the reference doc does not compare to my engine. And it seems as if the cooler for the exhaust gas is much bigger than on the previous models. So if you take all this inconsideration it seems like nissan has made even more changes to the motor. All thow smal. So long as its for the better.

While the trol was being serviced I went through to joburg to get some goodies for the trol. Bought the egt gauge from madman. A ladder for the back door to reach the roof rack along with a few other things. Now i just need some time to get it fitted :blonde:

For interest sake the service was just overR2300. This was oil, oil filter, diesel filter and sump washer. O yes and a good wash. The egr wat done for mahala, service plan covered the rest :lol:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Johann 1984
Full Name: Johann van der Spuy
Nickname: Johann 1984
Home Town: Kimberley
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Tdi

Post by Johann 1984 »

Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Lyk nie sleg nie ....as graham terug is vat hom soontoe dat hy hom gou uit check lyk netjies :thumbup:
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Looks great :thumbup:

The cruise control and climate control is extra's. They dont come standard with those.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Dungbeetle
Full Name: Rudolf
Nickname: Dungbeetle
Home Town: Ellisras
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.2GL Wagon old and wise at 880 000 km
2014 Patrol 3.0GL CRD reaching puberty at 150 000 km
Home Language: Afr

Post by Dungbeetle »

Peter Connan wrote: 21 Sep 2014 07:52 Johann, mine is a petrol, not a diesel.

There is a guy on this forum (Dungbeetle) who is now very close to or over 600k km with a Y60 (the box shape's name) 4.2 diesel, and another (Raka) with 500k ok. They are definately capable of giving massive mileage.
Grant is the mileage king for the 4.2 TDI,with over 400k km.

The 4.2 gets normally between 1 and 3 km more out of a litre of fuel, given the same mods and driving style. Services are every 5000km, and with a 10l oil capacity and dual filters...

Yes, old cars do require more love more of the time, but the 4.2 was also available in the Y60 up to around 2001, and is an easy retrofit into later cars...
HAHA stumbled across this oldish thread today
No my Patrollie is not a Y60 box, it is the 2000 Y61 GL
Yes my Patrollie has a lot of km's = 843 500 today
2000 Patrol GL 4.2D - Still strong just short of 900 THOUSAND KILOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEETERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS - Daily Tractor
2014 CRD at 170k km - Sunday Tractor
2012 NP300 DC - platkar
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Sorry, I have no idea why I thought yours was a Y60.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”