Full Name: Irfaan Ivan Harris
Nickname: Faanie
Home Town: Kimberley and Riyadh
Current 4x4: Patrol SGLE y61 tb45e
Home Language: English

Nissan Patrol Technical Bulletins?Reduce air intake temp/den

Post by irfaanharris »

All,
RE: Nissan Patrol Technical Bulletins? Reduce air intake temp/density Older TB45E

I have now found the 6 year problem with my 1998 Nissan Patrol SGLE (GU) TB45E in Y61

I am convinced that as result of a known overheating problem (read too hot intake air / low air density) Nissan has issued a Technical Bulletin.!!!! (they changed later model TB45E radiator size...)
the 1998 T45E / Y61 configuration has a large / long Radiator. I have now seen a newer TB45E (guess 2006) and everyting looks identical motor airfilter etc BUT, the Radiator is smaller (shorter)
Once the engine is warm, and standing in traffic or moving slowly, air is sucked thru the left side of the LONG radiator and blown straight onto the airintake (see link) - the pipe /object between wheel well to airfilter housing

The temperature at airfilter entry point is something above 70 degrees C (digital thermometer i have only shows up to 70degrees C)
(this temp goes up BEFORE engine temp goes up - which i can see here... on ECU..

So im working on insulating this object / pipe. - going to visit the Building AC contractors.....

Now - i have seen a later model Nissan Patrol TB45E Y61 (2006) and the Radiator is shortened so the Pipe is NOT in the (hot) airpath !!!!!

Where can i find the ****** Nissan Patrol Technical Bulletins? ********
in 2003 the dealer changed the Radiator as he said that what "solves the problem" now perhaps they did not read a technical bulletin properley - and the part number of the radiator changed!!!!!
Question - will the shortened Radiator fit into a 1998 Y61?

New TB45E

My older TB45E with long radiator...

I believe that if anyone is having heating issues when carling or in traffic - review the intake temperature...... and why its getting hot - a snorkel will not solve the problem in very hot countries - my guess only in Kuruman / Hottazhell northern cape will this exist....
Summer ambient temperature is 46 degrees C in the shade.
or i will move the airintake to the right hand side of the motor (right when sitting in vehicle)

Thx in advance - I knew years ago that they were jerking around - now to find a professional company here to check if the replaced cylinder head REALLy was Cracked - i think not......

I cannot understand why in this modern age - we take heat out of the engine and then blow that heat back over the engine!!!!!

Regards
I Harris
Irfaan Ivan William Harris
+966 505 414 576
or +27 21 300 9830 (but rings in Riyadh / global follow me)
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Nissan Patrol Technical Bulletins?Reduce air intake temp/den

Post by David »

Surely the 2006 is a 4.8 ? :think:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Hi Irfaan

I have a 1996 Y60 4.2. At one stage I had serious overheating problems, and I placed a thermometer under the bonnet. On a 25C day, I measured underbonnet temps of 45C at 60km/h and up to 76C while crawling in 1st Low at about 2k rpm.

I then placed the thermometer's probe inside the airbox (the 4.2 uses a pancake filter on top of the carb), and similar temperature trends were noticed there, but about 5C lower at the maximum.

The above was one of the major reasons I fitted a snorkel, and with the snorkel the highest temperature I ever measured in the airbox was about 60C, so in my opinion it did reduce the problem of hot air into the engine to some extent, but it did not solve my overheating problem

The problem in my case turned out to be the viscous coupling on the fan. Replacing this significantly reduced the underbonnet temperatures in my car as well, although I have not measured them extensively since replacing the viscous, i just don't burn my hands anymore when opening the bonnet.

So I agree that reducing the underbonnet temperature is a good idea, but I would be hesitant to do it by reducing the radiator's size. I would rather make sure the hot air can get out of the engine bay again. Try temporarily loosening the bonnet's rear fasteners and lifting the back edge of the bonnet a couple of cm, and see if that works perhaps?

You could also try applying heat-shielding tape on that air pipe/water trap gadget? The one with the aluminium on the outside?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

David wrote:Surely the 2006 is a 4.8 ? :think:
It seems Irfaan is based in the Middle East (or at least partially based there). They still get the TB45E in some Middle Eastern markets in the short wheelbase wagon and in the pickup if I am not mistaken.
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Gerrit Loubser

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

irfaanharris wrote:I am convinced that as result of a known overheating problem (read too hot intake air / low air density) Nissan has issued a Technical Bulletin.!!!! (they changed later model TB45E radiator size...)
the 1998 T45E / Y61 configuration has a large / long Radiator. I have now seen a newer TB45E (guess 2006) and everyting looks identical motor airfilter etc BUT, the Radiator is smaller (shorter)
Once the engine is warm, and standing in traffic or moving slowly, air is sucked thru the left side of the LONG radiator and blown straight onto the airintake (see link) - the pipe /object between wheel well to airfilter housing
I think you are onto a dead end here, Irfaan. I doubt whether the wider or narrower radiator would have much of an effect on the underbonnet temperatures, because the cooling pack has a cowling that helps to ensure air flows through the whole core and not just where the fan is. This means that the only opening where the air can exit is the fan opening and the size of that opening is not affected by the core width. The air will be sucked through the radiator and spread into the engine bay by the fan in much the same way regardless of the core width due to this.

By the way, the thing you refer to as a water trap is actually an intake resonator, which is intended to reduce intake noise or to tune intake air resonance in some particular way.
Gerrit Loubser

irfaanharris
Full Name: Irfaan Ivan Harris
Home Town: Kimberley and Riyadh
Current 4x4: Patrol SGLE y61 tb45e
Home Language: English

Post by irfaanharris »

Thx for all the replies.

Thanks for the comment on the resonator
Yes underbonnet temperature is wel - high in both vehicles both new TB45E and old - but without actually testing the other vehicle - i would be lying - a guess based on placing my arm on his wheel bay... was that my temp was higher.. i will check
What i did was ride with the bonnet catch open at low speed and it made a diff of 2 degrees. - bonnet open idling in the shade, it made a massive 5 degree diff.

But the question is..... where do i find the Technical Bulletins - it cant be that none are available.... -- or maybe Nissan does not want these floating around...

Ther following done

Saudi Arabia -
Dealer changed Radiator in 2003
did not do much....

Switzerland 2004
Patrol exported to switzerland - Overheated only once in 3 years going up very steep hill

Saudi arabia 2007
Patrol Exported back to Saudi Arabia
Overheating in Summer
Burst pipe behind Engine (heater hose?)
Delivered on flatbed to Dealer
Dealer replaces all pipe, radiator, cylinder head - (no water in oil - no evidence of blown gasket but they said cracks...) (ZAR36k)
On driving out of dealer - still overheats - they never fix it
I buy ECU and fit in console
I Replaced
MAF
Viscous coupling
Waterpump
(and distributor cap and checked condition of Plug leads)

At this stage i place thermometer in airpath... !!!!!

Last week removed airfilter houser and sanded down lightly - sprayed with heat resistance paint. Not sure it will make a diff..
....and now to wrap that pipe with AC silver tape and insulation.....

I have to get the heat under the bonnet reduced for when crawling i believe that the point where the recycled heat will make a big difference if i can just keep it as a a specific temp - as THIS PROBLEM GOES AWAY IN WINTER...
The engine startes to overheat only when the intake temp (before airfilter) exceeds 64 degrees c - thats when engine temp starts to rise....

would really like to know the reason Nissan changed the size of the radiator? Tech bulletins......
Thanks again for the input - it is appreciated.
Irfaan Ivan William Harris
+966 505 414 576
or +27 21 300 9830 (but rings in Riyadh / global follow me)
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

Gerrit Loubser wrote:They still get the TB45E in some Middle Eastern markets...
Thanks Gerrit - I was under the impression they all drive turbo charged 4.8's :lol:

Looks like they do the following: TB48DE, TB45E, TD42 :thumbup: - Also interesting that there is no handgrenades listed
http://www.nissan-me.com/en/web/models/ ... 478649.htm

Also interesting is that the 4.8 is quoted as 280 horsepower which eqeals 208kW - bit more than our 190kW :think:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Gerrit Loubser

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Although the TB45E is comprehensively eclipsed by the TB48DE in terms of performance, the TB45E is much cheaper to fix if things go badly pear shaped, by virtue of it being a much simpler motor.

Yip, the old TB45 soldiers on :oldtimer: . Someone has to build engines for forklifts :lol: .
Nissan F05.jpg
Nissan F05.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
Nissan F05 Engine.jpg
Nissan F05 Engine.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
Gerrit Loubser

irfaan.harris
Full Name: Irfaan Ivan Willaim Harris
Home Town: Riyadh Saudi Arabia / Kimberley
Current 4x4: 1999 Nissan Patrol SGL-E (Middle East version of the GU/GR) Y61 TD45E engine,
118000 kms
Home Language: English Afrikaans

Post by irfaan.harris »

on closer inspection i am surprised that the shroud does cover the complete left side of the radiator (right if looking at engine) - the open section is equal to the part of the radiator that is shortened in the newer TB45E radiator... interesting.....

and this is directly where the hose connects - trying to find direction of flow - my guess hot into top....

and still cant find tech bulletins - must be closely guarded....
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Irfaan the whole radiator should be shrouded, except for the area where the fan blades turn.

It almost sounds from what you are saying that you have the shroud for the short radiator instead of the one for the radiator you have in the car?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”