Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

My 4.8 FaceLift

Post by Chris Skinner »

On a previous thread I mentioned the ‘mods’ I was busy with on my new Trol, and I said I would report on the end result – well here goes:

Besides a 2” lift (EFS), I have also added a good new set of takkies to the wagon. The cherry on top for me though is the look we achieved with the new front bumper, and of course, the ‘spots’.

I must say at this point that I kept my last Patrol, a 4.5 GRX, stock standard except for a Nudge’M front bumper and Warn winch. When I recently purchased the 4.8, though, I knew from the start that this car needed something to bring its magnificence to the fore!

Let me start with the suspension kit. JT, at Mackano4x4 in Centurion did the job, plus a few other goodies for me. The result, well, what can I say, the wife’s Jeep next to the Trol looks like a midget! It really looks great without being too overstated – what I have now is a very confident ‘body build’ to go with the awesome 4.8 stature. JT fitted the EFS ‘heavy duty’ 50cm lift kit. Don’t be fooled by the ‘heavy duty’ designation – this is a good improvement on the standard suspension that was resident when I bought the car. EFS also have a ‘medium’ and an ‘extra heavy duty’ set, but I can say that after testing the set-up, the medium would have been a little light (in my opinion, if you go high – you need to put a bit of beef into it).
The jammie looks great and I am really happy with the result – in fact, right now, while writing this post, sitting on my stoep overlooking Ponta do Ouro bay with a cold beer – I can say that getting here was really fun – it was an ideal time to test the suspension performance and the new tyres. Today, for a change, we came through Swaziland and into Moz at the border called Mhlumeni/Goba. Of course up to the Moz border the road was great. It was a welcome relief from the hassles on the Ermelo-Pongola stretch. On the Moz side, on the way down to Ponta, we had a bit of everything (as could be expected) ie soft sand, rocky parts, pot-holes etc. Ultimately it was just perfect for a quick test of the recent modifications. Suspension wise, I give EFS full marks, and I have absolutely no complaints in this department. What I need though is a new steering damper, which I foolishly did not change when we did the lift. The slight tell-tale wobble I had before, when braking, is still there!
The new 285/70/17 BFG Muddies impressed me no end. I generally run my pressures slightly low (2-2.2 bar max, even on tar) and this gives a good comfortable ride – but when we got to some hard, pitted, rocky surface patches I decided to let a little more air out – the improvement was tangible. The best part was the soft sand, and I can say that compared to the tyres I ran on my 4.5, this was impressive. I made a point of taking on the more difficult patches and at no time did I even consider using 4WD, even though I still had a non-optimal 1.6-1.8 bar. It was awesome – the low smooth growl of the 4.8, just gliding through the obstacles (only a 4.8 tiptronic driver will know what I am talking about here!).
Now, as I said before, for me the bumper is the cherry on top! The looks have changed dramatically, and the ARB ‘look’ I like so much is very evident. But it’s not an ARB! It’s a Summit4x4 bumper that sells for a fraction of the price of the ARB. A word of caution though, in this world you get what you pay for, and the compromise here is definitely on the quality side. If well managed though, you will end up with a very good and acceptable bumper, plus a few spare grand in your pocket for other ‘niceties’ for the Trol. I had a few ‘mods’ made to the bumper (and not finished yet!), which included a change to the less than impressive and slightly misaligned mounting brackets that come with the item, plus a heavy duty winch plate installed (ski-boat!!). Of course, a good metal worker can do wonders as you all know, and here Coenraad at Rasper4x4 did the necessary tweaking to make it work (until 02h00 in the morning before I collected the car for the trip to Moz – thanks Coenraad). What rounds it off nicely, in my view, is the colour coding on the powder-coat and the Hella 3003 (blue glass) spot lights I had a friend bring in from Sweden (were not available in SA). Oh yes, and thanks to JT for the red winch hook holder!
I will try to attach some pictures with this post.
Attachments
At the Swazi/Moz Border
At the Swazi/Moz Border
Photo6.jpg (234.27 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Photo5.jpg
Photo5.jpg (138.71 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Photo4.jpg
Photo4.jpg (175.61 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Photo3.jpg
Photo3.jpg (202.68 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
During the Mods
During the Mods
Photo2.jpg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
The Old Look!
The Old Look!
Photo1.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Izak
Full Name: Izak
Nickname: Sakkie
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: 2003 Patrol 3.0 D SRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: My 4.8 FaceLift

Post by Izak »

Verrrrryyyy Blerrrrrrryyyyy Beautifullllllllllllll :woo: :woo: :woo:
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

Flippin nice! :thumbup: I like your spots and agree 100% on the performance of those KM2's :clap:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Very cool Chris!
Me and Wilfet had a long talk about your takkies and I am happy that you went for the KM2!!!!
Peter Vee
Full Name: Peter Viljoen
Nickname: Peter Vee
Home Town: Roodekrans
Current 4x4: 2010 Patrol 4800 GRX
KLR 650 ;)

Post by Peter Vee »

Very very nice!! Another "luverlee" GRX .. HELL I thought that was same ARB bar that I have on my 4.8 GRX .. must concur on the performance of the BFG M/Ts ... noted that we belong to same ski boat club Chris .... (I'm Nomads 091 C "Fawny Cat")
Attachments
IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg (351.26 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
Peter Vee
2010 4.8 GRX fully rigged for overlanding
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Looks awesome Chris! Enjoy
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Chris Skinner »

Compliments much :thumbup: appreciated - Actually PeterV, one of my next moves will be the chrome centre bar!!
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Beautiful Chris, I am now looking forward even more to my 4.8 that is in the wings, have you sold that awesome other Patrol of yours. That is a very very good buy

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Chris Skinner »

Yes Jules - For me it was a fantastic vehicle, I sold it a few weeks back, the new owner has also now joined the forum.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Baie mooi!!! :thumbup: