davejones
Full Name: David Jones
Nickname: David
Home Town: Lagos, Nigeria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.2D GL
Home Language: English

Which TROLL?

Post by davejones »

This post goes out to all forum members!

I have spent the last 4 months agnonizing over what overland vehicle to acquire.

I have been through everythingfrom hilux bakkies to range rover HSE's, from defender 90's to landcruiser 100's, you name it, if its been built ive considered it.

The other consideration I have agonised over has been; is it going to be my daily commuter (I average 10,000km/year) or just my weekend adventurer ? (I currently drive a 2004 BMW e46 330i, white, sportpack, i keep it in immaculate condtion and really love the car, plus its only done 102clicks)

At the end of the day, ive come to realise that the choice comes down to one thing alone, and that is passion. And when I see a Nissan Patrol driving on the road, I am filled with passion! If my girlfriend is sitting next to me she gets an elbow in her side, and while she's rubbing her bruised ribs I say with delight - "check! there's my patrol!" I've had the advice, if you want to travel into africa, get a toyota because of spares and parts, reliability, blah blah. Ive read on this site about the difficulties finding good service and that Nissan SA is a pain in the a$$! But quite frankly i dont care! In fact, a Troll is the only beast on the road that could entice me to sell the beemer, and given that I really dont see it being practical or financially sensible at my age to own 2 cars, the conviction to lead an outdoor lifestyle leaves me no choice but to go Patrol hunting :woo:

As an aside, I am just so damn relieved that i have FINALLY made up my mind on this one!

But here is now where I need your advice.

I know for sure that I want a Patrol pre-2001 patrol (so from 2000 and earlier). Reasons - affordability, reliability & character.
But, do I go for petrol or diesel? I am really stuck on this one. Driving around town, fuel consumption is not an issue for me - I am a bit concerned if I do long trips north of the SA borders from a fuel availability perspective (which would favour diesel if I'm not mistaken) - are these concerns justified.

What about from a maintenance perspective when it comes to petrol or diesel?

To be really honest, I have always found myself more charmed by the petrol versions (but truth be told I have never driven a Trol ) :surprised:

From a spec perspective, I havent found a good explanation in terms of the difference between grx, gl etc. Is there a thread/forum I can read on this?

And finally (for now), when I do happen to find a Trol worth visiting, is there anyone on the Johannesburg area with some good technical savvy who would be able to check out the vehicle with me?

I look forward to hearing from you!

David
1998 Nissan Patrol GL (GU / Y61 - TD42, with turbo)
An ox, but with balls !!!
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Re: Which TROLL?

Post by Jules »

David welcome to the site, you will get some excellent feedback here I think most of the guys are already in the bush driving their Patrols, all I can say stay clear from the 3.0 Dieselturbo pre 2003 seems to be a handgrenate. I have a 1995 SGL 4.2 Petrol and luv it to bits. My consumption on daily use is 6km/l and driving rather light footed but recently giving some "gas"

The guys with the 4.5 petrol will also rave about their vehicles, GRX is the luxury one with leather seats etc,etc. If you look around you will find one that has most goodies for overlanding.

Happy hunting
Jules
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
davejones

Post by davejones »

Thanks Jules

I am definitely staying away from the "hand grenade" models.

Without doubt the trol I get will be 2000 or earlier, and it will be either 4.5 petrol ('98-'00), 4.2 petrol ('95 and '96) or 4.2 diesel (not sure what years?) I havent ever seen a '97 model - is there a reason for this?

I probably need to drive both the diesel and petrol models to find my preference. I'm not too concerned with finding a patrol with all the overlanding goodies, for now I just need to decide on petrol vs diesel !

"I think most of the guys are already in the bush driving their Patrols" .... lucky buggers!
Freakazoid
Full Name: Pierre Becker
Nickname: Pierre
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Freakazoid »

DAve, if you currently drive a 330i you are a petrolhead by heart dude. it takes one to know one. Your only option is the 4.8 with its 190kW. You do few enough k's per year so that fuel is not a worry. Go with the 4.8, you will not regret it. Stretch your bucks to a 4.8.
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

:thumbup: 4.8 all the way! :twisted:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
davejones

Post by davejones »

Freakazoid and G-Man - haha! I know - who am I trying to kid?! :wink:

Drove a '95 4.2 SGL petrol today - my first patrol experience :woo: Am VERY impressed, plus at the price I get to keep the BM! Although I know exactly what you are saying... with a 4.8 who needs a BM??! And the insurance I am paying on the BM could just go into the petrol kitty :idea:

Seeing a 2000 4.2 diesel tomorrow... although it would be a replacement.

Either way, I know the Troll I end up with is going to provide me with endless km's of joy!!

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”