Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Who rides on Kumho tyres ?

Post by ricster »

I must say that they stop my heavyweight Iron Maiden brilliantly on the wet tar, and aggressive cornering when I'm giving a "people carrier" a bit of a hard time, cause they are doing there usual stupid driving behavior, is spectacular, not sure if they they would differ between the pickup and the station wagon.

I just think that it is a VERY underrated tyre in SA. And for the price..... definitely worth it!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

Cedric, you know how I cry every time we go offroad about the KL71's that I have no more. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. At that very fun day (Northwest Nissan) if we are talking about the same one. I "convinced" sold three sets of tyres for Lombards tyres in Roodepoort. They gave me a T-shirt and Cap for my effort ( A set of KL71's would have been welcome, but you can't be greedy now :pray: )...

I came upon the KL71's by accident when my old wrangler and ATX combination was frustrating me. I thought I would save them for the SJ410 we were building up. I went searching for tyres and Theuhan referred me to Koos at Lombards and the KL71 came in at the cheapest tyre on the market at R1020 fitted each. The BF245's MT were already at 2600 each and the ATX AT's were 1700 each.

These 31" MT's were not actually my first choice as they were directional and that had me slightly scared.

These tyres also stopped my plans for the diffloc I was wanting. While I had them on, I can recall only two instances that I managed to get stuck, and believe me, we tried. I even took a trip to Kallies and drove the whole fay in 2wd to try and get stuck. In the mud hole I did manage to grind the alternator to shreds with all the mud.

Wet tar roads are no problem with these tyres. The 31" tyres did eat up my Tierods, but that is a IFS problem on the Hardbodies. I managed 86K km on the KL's and dumped them with 6mm of tread in some places, but the edges were smooth from bad wheel alignment. In 86K km I had one puncture that came from one of my own tek screws on a site.

I did put a 2" long gash in the side wall of one of them just a week or two after fitting and was advised on the community forum that the tyre is FUBAR and dangerous and that I should replace it immediately and may keep it as a spare. I never did and never had a problem with it.

These tyres just took all the guess work out of "where should I drive, what line should I take, hope nothing will cut or puncture my tyre" and just point and squirt (if that is even possible with a mere 2.7 donkey :lol: ). I drove on sites and fields where we would regularly find metal bits and glass laying around. Maybe I was just very lucky, but these tyres just did everything and more I ever needed them to do.

I even ran the front tyres in reverse for 20K km to try and get a few kilos extra out of them and they still performed well.

They were my biggest tyres I ever had on the Sani, and I did expect some balancing issues, but this turned out to be no problem compared to just about any other make I have had on Hillbilly.

Will I use them again, HELL YES :thumbup: .

I can't compare them to other MT's as I have never had other MT's on Hillbilly. The road noise on tar was there, but nothing a good Sony could not drown out.

One of the most memorable times on these tyres was a trip to Cape Town along close on 500km of gravel. When I hit the Gravel just other side of Kinberley, I dropped the pressure to 1,3Bar. The Sani drove like a dream on that gravel. Felt better and and even quieter than when we are on tar. Grip was amazing and I had to caution my wife, who is usually a very conservative driver, to slow down to 100km/h.

I can't fault these tyres even if I tried. I really pulled them through my proverbial and they came out smelling like roses.
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

They sound like good tyres at a bargain price... thinking of getting a set for the boat trailer, 31/10.5/15 - anyone know where there may be a special on these tyres, and what prices are like nowadays???
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

By the sounds of what Cedric has up his sleeve, maybe we can get something on "special" soon.
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Chris Skinner wrote:They sound like good tyres at a bargain price... thinking of getting a set for the boat trailer, 31/10.5/15 - anyone know where there may be a special on these tyres, and what prices are like nowadays???

Hi Chris

Try Auto wiel centurion? Speak to Patric . He is a very helpful manager who goes all out to assist?
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Hey hey David... good to hear from you again!!

Yip I do have a plan. I had a meeting with Lomabrd Tyres, and due my role as events organizer within the Nissan Club, I am trying to get a little sponsorship from them.

David was one of the guys that convinced me to try Kumho's, and I haven't looked back since. So I am in negotiations with them to get special deals. We are still setting up everything as I only met with them late Thursday afternoon.

If you are interested in getting a set, PM me and let me forward it to them for a quote....

I'm also in need of a set of tyres, but I've been putting and need to put some more money in the piggy bank for a few months first, so I'll can only do mine in about October. And the price is faaaaaaar better then ANY other tyre I have priced so far. I can't wait !!!
Regards
Cedric
andredurand
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: andre durand
Nickname: leeuloop
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: PATHFINDER
Home Language: afr

Post by andredurand »

Cedric my Kumos se groote is 265 70 16 kl
Groete
Andre Durand
Nissan Hardbody 3.3 sold
Nissan patrol 4.5 sold
Nissan parthfinder 2,5 sold
Nissan navara 4l v6 4x4
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

Cedric, did anything materialise? :pray:
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Howzit David.... Long time no speak

Yeah I few guys have asked for pricing, I still need to get mine, but just had a bit of a cashflow problem raise its ugly head. I think in Jan I'll get my new KL 71's. The club guys still get these VERY good prices.

I often get asked how many Km I get on a set of tyres..... It is Very difficult to give an accurate Km reading as 80% of my tyre wear is on big rocks, sandpaper sand, soggy mud, loose gravel and sharp tyre cutting rocks..... well hey they are muddies meant for rough terrain. Oh and still no side wall damage even though everyone says that these tyres have softer sidewalls than other tyres..... Maybe I'm just too gentle with the Iron Maiden.......Not ...... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Regards
Cedric
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by davidvdm »

I was also warned about the side walls, and yet no damage. If I see what my ATX's are doing in a time when I drive way more conservative because the car is lower than on the KL71's, I know I don't have the money to fix things, out a lot less than ever before, and the ATX"s are coming apart. If it could perform and even give me half the confidence I was getting from the KL's, I could maybe still justify it.

But those KL's are really are (TOS prevents the real word I wanna use here) idiot and abuse proof tyres. I drove over and through thorn trees and wrecked tie rods by just shoving the sidewalls into embankments and the tyres lasted. That on top of the fact that I could go places I never could before or can now with these darn ATX's.

I have a spare set of steel rims and would love to start populating them with a KL71 every month or two, but I don't think the ATX's are going to give me the chance. I already have two slow punctures they can't find and the tread is coming off in pieces now as well.
David - Bfreesani
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
5" Lift
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”