Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Blade Fuse Calculation for 12v Auxiliary System

Post by Tinus lotz »

Melcom is a free country use it dont use it have alook after 30min when your crank battery is full your voltage drop down sometimes as low as 13.8 .
Goolgle ideal charge voltage of a lead cristal 14.8 or more .
Crank batteries break after 14.4 v but voltage regular drops down as amps is put back .
Ave smart battery can take 20% of amp hours at ideal charge voltage .
Anyway if it works for you keep the solenoid system . We do big solar systems ect and have been testing it for years to see what works and what doesn't.
When piet got married at Kubu had to con 4 systems to charge by forcing them to stay in .
The batteries has evolve a lot .there is a reason why NL made a dc to dc system ....its the way forward.
With your system of 2 batteries you might want to look at a smart pass to get more amps when needed .
You are welcome to bring your car around i will gladly help you measure ect .
NoPressure
Full Name: Ruan
Nickname: Ruan
Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 D/C 4x4 Auto
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX M/T

Post by NoPressure »

Thanks gentlemen, I seem to have the correct layout with regards to where the fuses are installed. And thanks to you guys I am a little bit more calm regarding the fuses I have in-line. I just want to mention that what Tinus said regarding the LED light wires that melt but the fuse doesn't pop was similar to what happened to my friend - the fuse never popped.

I will try and source a glass tube fuse tray - I always just assumed they were to fragile for corrugated roads.

With regards to the types of charging from the crank battery - that is a whole different kettle of fish. I will reserve my 2c when that thread pops up.

It's information like this (fuse setup) that keeps families safe and camping gear used :clap: :thumbup:
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Look on 4x4 direct website they do very nice inline stuff . The biggest problems come in when people put in charging systems ...the other day a guy nearly burnt his car down becouse he had a NL duel battery monitor installed the wires 1mm wires was on a 80a fuse from each battery ....it rubbed though just were it comes via the fire wall ....lots of fire ect ....be carefull everytime wire size change put the correct fuse 😎😎

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”