Full Name: Danie Gerryts
Nickname: Danie
Home Town: Stilbaai
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab
Home Language: Afrikaans

Auto lock on doors

Post by DanieG »

Is there a way the locking mechanism on the doors of my Patrol can be set to lock automatically on pull away?
Danie Gerryts
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Auto lock on doors

Post by ricster »

Hmmmm.... that would be an interesting mod.... but electrickery is not my strong point. Hopefully the electrical guys will chime in
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

My 2008 3.0 Di came with central locking but no alarm. I only found this out when my vehicle's left front door lock was forced and my GPS stolen. I was until then, under the impression that it came factory fitted with an integrated alarm/central locking system. Also, I never got the second key for my vehicle. Neither the dealer nor the previous owner had the second key, or bothered getting one made.

So about 3 weeks before the vehicle was broken into, I had a second key made (after-market lookalike key) by Action Locksmiths in Eloff Street Extension (Next to Mikem Suspensions) Tel 011 493-7179. They sold me a key for a couple of hundred Rand and then also sold and coded a transponder for the key for me. All this came to about R2500.

After the break-in, I then took the vehicle to my radio/security system fitment guys and had an alarm fitted. For this to be a level 4 system, they fitted an alarm system that came with its own transponders, linking the alarm and the vehicle's central locking system, making the transponders on the key unnecessary. I cursed for having spent the extra money on the now redundant, newly fitted, transponder on the new key.

This alarm system came with the function (it is programmable) of self and unlocking doors and the anti high-jack feature. I drove around with this for a week and found the anti hi-jack a huge pain. I only use the Patrol for Safaris into neighbouring countries, so I think it is redundant. I had it de-activated. The auto locking and unlocking I tried for a while but also had it deactivated (it requires you to unlock the doors with the transponder when the engine is running (like dropping a passenger at work/school) but did not automatically re lock afterwards. Instead, I now just use the transponder to lock the doors manually myself while driving.

On removing the door-lock to have it replaced I saw what a poorly designed and made lock it was. The key is used purely to have a lever to turn the lock. If something is thin and narrow enough to go into the lock, it WILL turn in the keyhole and unlock the door!!!!! That is why they managed to stick something into and unlock the lock/car. The keyhole is slightly bent and the lock still works perfectly, but such a weak system is useless. I used a thin piece of spring steel about 5mm wide to test and it, and managed to open all my locks without damaging any one of them.

That prompted me to unclip the short little linkage between the keyhole/door lock and the locking mechanism in the door and only having the door able to be locked and unlocked by remote/transponder. Yes, some people say that one takes a chance relying on only a remote to unlock your vehicle (what happens if the remote fails?), but how often do you hear about a remote going wrong? Never or hardly ever!!! People loose or lock their keys in the cars much more often then what remotes give problems.

And now the guys can come with the "devices" and try and jimmy my Patrol's locks. They will achieve nothing (it just turns without doing anything) and rather that waste time and maybe get caught, will most likely just try the next vehicle.....
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

mvcoller wrote: 10 May 2019 09:30 Yes, some people say that one takes a chance relying on only a remote to unlock your vehicle (what happens if the remote fails?), but how often do you hear about a remote going wrong? Never or hardly ever!!! People loose or lock their keys in the cars much more often then what remotes give problems.
Just don't fall into the water with the key in your pocket...

Had one fail on me after slipping while launching a boat and falling into the drink. Managed to dry it out and get it working again, but it took a couple of days...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

You see now.... "and falling into the drink"..... don't drink and drive..... :rolling:

But you make a valid point
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
pgreeff
Full Name: Paul Greeff
Nickname: Paul
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4

Post by pgreeff »

1) The first and most important is not the remote battery, but the vehicle battery. I've had a few occasions where the vehicle battery (mind you. not on my Patrol, surely they do not fail...) had died and necessitated the key to open the car. So removing the linkages would not have been a great idea.

2) When my Hardbody was broken into and my laptop stolen by doing exactly what you said to the left passenger door lock I removed the damaged lock and closed the hole and repainted the door to repair the damage. But that leaves the driver side door vulnerable. Perhaps something clever can be implemented, in the form of a hidden key or lock to open the door in the event the central locking fails if the car battery is dead but for now the driver side door is the failsafe.

For the moment, in my opinion, there must be at least one mechanical lock capable of opening the car so I can get inside. Without this I know at some point there will be trouble.
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Mabe the rear barn door ?
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

Yep, exactly what I did, left a working lock on the barn door, but it leaves that vulnerable now. There must be a way to fit a hidden switch somewherel that will be your failsafe option. It will preferably also work off the dual battery system.

Another option is a place where one can jumper the main battery to the dual battery system, preferably under the vehicle somewhere.

One of my old Alfas had a nylon line linked to the bonnet catch. It was hidden under the dash and had a similar link to the boot catch hidden under the back seat as backup to be used in an emergency. I am sure one could rig up something similar into one of the doors of the Patrol, doing away with leaving the key activated link in the rear barn door......

I must look into the above options.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

I don't know about the GU's, but the GQ doesn't have a light switch on the barn door. As a result, the barn door is not alarm-protected, and is thus already a weak point...

I am thinking that is the one lock I SHOULD disconnect...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

Peter, maybe fit a microswitch to you GQ's barn door and link it to the doirs' system. You will not only have it alarm able but will be able to set up a ceiling light for when you open the barn door.

I did exactly that on my Safari that had a window that lifted up before you could open the lower door. I fitted the micro switch on the window portion and fitted a ceiling light at the same time.

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”