WP_Patrol
Full Name: W
Nickname: D
Home Town: Somerset West
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Ipad as Instrument Cluster on TD42

Post by WP_Patrol »

Does anyone know if there is aftermarket tech available to route the various sensors from a TD42 to a unit that can then be read with a IPAD.

By doing this you kinda replace the instrument cluster with the IPAD or similar tablet.
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Re: Ipad as Instrument Cluster on TD42

Post by davidvdm »

Oh this is a great question, and I can't wait to see a tech savvy member's reply. I have started scratching a bit to do the same thing to my "Safani". Also looking to find out if you can replace the old Safari TC speedo pickup with an electronic unit, as I would prefer to pick that data up further down the drivetrain instead of off the Hardbody gearbox.

Some guys have said to look at the Ardenio systems, but I have no idea where to even start looking. I believe they use their own displays, but someone told me you could look at some usb or bluetooth transmission to an android or other device. I like the idea of an Android device, which may even work better for me with a GPS based speedo, which solves one of my big problems with calibration been so far off going from 245 tyres to 33", and wanting to push to 35" as soon as budget allows.

My first prize would be something that you could program with various dashboard layouts so as to display relevant information to certain circumstances. For instance, you have a dash for daily driving that includes rev counter, speed, and some critical temps, but you don't need all that info when crawling down a riverbed, or negotiating some rock climb.

Anyhoo, lets see if we have anybody here that has a solution.
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
WP_Patrol
Full Name: W
Nickname: D
Home Town: Somerset West
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Ipad as Instrument Cluster on TD42

Post by WP_Patrol »

Its not a tablet connected system but these seem to be complete cluster replacements.

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”