Full Name: Jacques Wilkinson
Nickname: jwilkinson
Home Town: Kraaifontein
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4500 GL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Unichip A-Type Bypass

Post by jwilkinson »

Hi All

Just some info sharing on bypassing the Unichip. Apologies if I am sharing already common knowledge on this forum.

Basically I recently replaced fuel pump and filter as well as air filter on my 4.5 Patrol which made a noticeable difference in power delivery except for a tiny but noticable slump between 2k and 2.5k RPM, and fuel consumption was still 4.5 and worse. With all the changes I decided to send the car in for a remap. The remap gave me not as much as a single kw in extra power but it did resolve the little slump. I have been a little doubtful of the chip's influence on the car's general performance from a performance and fuel consumption point of view. I asked KSD if they can provide me with a bridge plug as I would like to just compare the with and without. Unfortunately they did not have and advised me that it would be very hard to still find bridge connectors for these old chips. They did however give me the wiring diagram and indicated the wires which were to be bridged. I have attached the diagram for your perusal. Bridge points 13-14 and 7-15. I just tested it with 2 paperclips which worked. I now made my own little bridge connector as the paperclips did not leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
From a driving point of view I have to admit it is very hard to feel any differance in power delivery with or without. I will do a fuel consumption comparison this weekend and revert back.
HomeMade_Bridge.jpg
HomeMade_Bridge.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Attached.jpg
Attached.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
PiggyBack_Diagram.pdf
(45.83 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: Unichip A-Type Bypass

Post by Tinus lotz »

i briged the chip on first 4.8 also nissan spends lots of money getting the motor to perform correct from the desert to ice I dont believe in them :mytwocents:
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.

Re: Unichip A-Type Bypass

Post by bogeyman »

I have a 4.5 motor running with the cpu from a 4.2 motor.( Old car with new engine).
Maus used a unichip to get it running as sweet as anybody could want. Power and 7km/l.
After changing the tps sensor to an autobox compatible one , Graham changed all settings back to the "Nissan rule book".
Now it runs at 4km/l and struggles to get to 120km/h.
It will go back to Maus in January and I will post the results.

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”