Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Central Locking Malfunction

Post by Kagiso II »

Andries -- die meganisme wat die arm beheer wat die "bolt" ooptrek is MEGANIES .. dis die meganisme self wat elektries met n solenoiid oop of toe maak .. as jy die staaf na die "skakelaar' kan beweeg sluit die deur meganies oop [asof jy die knip buitekant oplig .. ]

hier is itzi daaroor: http://www.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock2.htm

en iets om jou hare te laat regopstaan : http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/ ... r-Lock.htm

BUT - getting back to what I said in the beginning -- a locksmith with a "slim jim" can open the door [as die skroewedraaier NIE werk nie] en dan, as die paneel oop is .. dan "fix" jy hom maklik :-)
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl664f.htm
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
gerriev
Full Name: Gerrie van Vuuren
Nickname: Gerrie
Home Town: Mogwase
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 3.0TDi GR
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by gerriev »

Andries, if I use the silver button to unlock the system, all doors but the driver's unlock. Upon release of the button it immediately moves back to the "lock" position and lock all doors. The buttons on all the other doors work perfectly. It is only the lock on the drivers door that is malfunctioning. It seems to be an electronic problem and it is driving me nuts.
Gerrie van Vuuren
'05 Patrol 3.0TDi GR
'06 Hardbody Kingcab 3.0TD
'11 Conquerer Companion
gerriev

Post by gerriev »

Dankie vir die "links" Oom Mac. Dit is interesante leesstof. Kon nie gister 'n lank genoeg skroewedraaier plaaslik kry nie en sal Rustenburg dalk Rustenburg toe moet ry om die deur te laat oopmaak. Dit beteken ek sal weer met my 6' 2" liggaam, wat lank nie meer so skraal en soepel is soos 40 jaar gelede nie, oor die middle konsole moet stoei. :rolleyes:
Gerrie van Vuuren
'05 Patrol 3.0TDi GR
'11 Conquerer Companion
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I might be wrong on this theory, but I think the locking mechanism on the drivers door is stuck somewhere between locked and unlocked. When the remote or unlock button is pressed the doors try unlock, but due to the drivers door not moving to either locked or unlocked position the whole system returns to the locked position.

There is a good possibility that one of the wire (bloudraad) arms having unclipped itself from the little bracket holding it. Oom Mac's Slim Jim idea may just work to get the wire to move sufficiently to the unlock position while constantly locking and unlocking the doors. I know they are quite sensitive and a small adjustment or movement on that wire can make the system fail.

Just my 2 cents worth :mytwocents: :mytwocents:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
gerriev

Post by gerriev »

ricster wrote:I might be wrong on this theory, but I think the locking mechanism on the drivers door is stuck somewhere between locked and unlocked. When the remote or unlock button is pressed the doors try unlock, but due to the drivers door not moving to either locked or unlocked position the whole system returns to the locked position.

There is a good possibility that one of the wire (bloudraad) arms having unclipped itself from the little bracket holding it. Oom Mac's Slim Jim idea may just work to get the wire to move sufficiently to the unlock position while constantly locking and unlocking the doors. I know they are quite sensitive and a small adjustment or movement on that wire can make the system fail.
Hi Cedric

The "bloudraad" linkages from the door handle & key lock are both in perfect working order. The problem has been narrowed down to the electronic locking mechanism on the door lock that does not want to budge.
Gerrie van Vuuren
'05 Patrol 3.0TDi GR
'11 Conquerer Companion
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

My initial understanding of the problem was that the driver's door could not be opened at all and therefore there was no access to remove the panel to get to the lock, therefor slim jim etc was suggested. I just suggested ways to open the door. I do have a very good comprehension of the typical car door mechanism but have seen doors that could not be unlocked and you had to butcher teh panel to remove it.

Getting back to the problem, I would suggest you disconnect the electrics or if you have a tech savvy electrician he might be able to fit an aftermarket solenoid unit, the main difference between the typical driver door mechanism and other doors are microswitches showing open and closed .

I would actually suggest you fit a complete after market system, the alarm system in my patrol is very basic and is mainly a immobilizer thus an extra remote fob will not be an issue and is a lot cheaper to replace if broken water damaged etc.
gerriev

Post by gerriev »

AndriesS wrote:My initial understanding of the problem was that the driver's door could not be opened at all and therefore there was no access to remove the panel to get to the lock, therefor slim jim etc was suggested. I just suggested ways to open the door. I do have a very good comprehension of the typical car door mechanism but have seen doors that could not be unlocked and you had to butcher teh panel to remove it.
You are correct in your understanding Andries.

I have decided to take the vehicle to a Locksmith tomorrow to see if he can get it open, failing which, I'll have to "butcher" the door panel. If it comes to that, I'll be in the market for a replacement door panel.
Gerrie van Vuuren
'05 Patrol 3.0TDi GR
'11 Conquerer Companion
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Gerrie - NEEEEEE man, munni boetsher 'ie :confused: :idea:

Kan die AGTERDEUR oopmaak? regs agter ek meen ? -- gaan kyk na presies jou model Patrol. Maak agterdeur oop en meet presies waar die voordeur se knip is .. boor deur die kosyn van agter af - tot BY die knip (nie in nie ) - nou weer daai lang dun skroewedraaier -- kyk of jy die knip kan oop druk

KOBUS [HERRIE] -- daai 'manual' wat jy het vanni Patrol .. wys hy nie die deurslot skematix nie??
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by AndriesS »

Suggestion before you take it to a mechanic that will destroy something in the process. disconnect battery, then try the silver button unlock method, also try locking unlocking with the silver button while you keep the lever opened. You should be able to remove some of the door trim with the door closed but you will need to remove the driver seat though.
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by AndriesS »

There is a Patrol (last checked in June) at Mazford spares in Pretoria West. I recall that the the driver side panel was still in tack and it might have a lock mechanism.

I hope jiggling both locking lever and opening lever with battery disconnected might help. As a matter of interest you can maybe give us an idea of the feel in resistance between the driver and passenger door when unlocking and or moving the opening lever. they should be the same, if the one move a lot more freely it could be as suggested that one of the "blou draad" wires disconneted.

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”