Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Water Crossings

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Ross wrote:With a Petrol vehicle I would use a degree of caution with deep water, as some of the electrical components are very expensive to replace if damaged. I know a guy who got some water on the MAF during a deep crossing....the result was a more or less dead vehicle (wouldn`t rev over 2000rpm) and over R4k for a replacement part.....eina!!! No such worries with my old school diesel 4.2
Actually, it is probable that the same amount of water that caused the petrol motor's MAF sensor to go could have caused hydraulic lock and bent conrods on the diesel...
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"
Home Language: English

Post by Ross »

Gerrit Loubser wrote:
Ross wrote:With a Petrol vehicle I would use a degree of caution with deep water, as some of the electrical components are very expensive to replace if damaged. I know a guy who got some water on the MAF during a deep crossing....the result was a more or less dead vehicle (wouldn`t rev over 2000rpm) and over R4k for a replacement part.....eina!!! No such worries with my old school diesel 4.2
Actually, it is probable that the same amount of water that caused the petrol motor's MAF sensor to go could have caused hydraulic lock and bent conrods on the diesel...
Ja...obviously in the absence of a snorkel, this would be an issue, but as long as one has a properly installed (and watertight) snorkel, a diesel should be able to out-wade a petrol.
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

I assume the petrol vehicle where water killed the MAF sensor did not have a snorkel, otherwise the water would never have been able to get to the MAF sensor.

With snorkels on both, an old tech diesel might wade better than a petrol or electronically controlled diesel.
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Tjaart
Full Name: Tjaart Janse van Rensburg
Nickname: TJ
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Patrol 4500 GRX

Post by Tjaart »

What can be done to prevent the spark plugs getting wet? Is it sufficient to spray with Q20? Will that keep the water out.

I must say, I've been through serious deep crossings, and only pick up trouble once with Air Mass Meter. Replaced that, and now with the Snorkel fitted, no problems. Obviously the winch is something else. The fitment center is sending it back to Ironman today, so I hope for an answer by the end of the week.

Water entering the cabin is only a problem when I stop in the water, otherwise, no problem. I must say, I do have more peace of mind now that I have a snorkel on. It also appears to help with fuel consumption. I've used much less petrol than on previous trips. So I'll try and do a test soon. But there is definitely more power and better throttle response. The snorkel and Free flow exhaust really works well together.

Somehow I always end up in the river... :think:
THE BRAVE
says
Aut PATROL aut nihil

Aut vincere aut mori

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”