Langman
Full Name: Jacques Landman
Nickname: Jakes
Home Town: Uitenhage
Current 4x4: Patrol
Home Language: English / Afrikaans

KC Spots

Post by Langman »

Anyone got KC Spots or can comment on them? I can get a set installed on special for R3K and these things have a huge warranty in excess of 20 years! (Need to check the details of the warranty though but sounds good.)
Langman
2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Re: KC Spots

Post by Grant »

Hi Langman

Have had a set on my troll for the last three uear with out as problem.
The harness is probably the best and the swoth is very neat.I would recommend them as paryds are available and cheaper than most of the others.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Hi Langman,

Sent the previous post fro my blackberry but typing was a bum. As stated I have had the KC's for three years and they have been trouble free. Parts are available and are inexpensive. The wiring harness is top notch, and the switch is very good. For the price they are probably the best on the mark :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: et.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Yes Langman,

I concur with what Grant said - I have also had my KC's for the past three years and no trouble at all. Even had them converted to HID's and now I can see into the future at night!! :lol:

Well worth the money you will spend - three years ago I paid over R2000 - so I think it sonds like a decent price. :thumbup:
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Post by Saltman »

OK, a little late, but here is my experience:

I have had the same set now for 5 years. I have had some drama with the rubbers and am on my third set.
I have had problems with the sealing rings and the lights collected condensation on the inside of the lenses.
The assembly is quite sensitive to the pressure you apply to the clamp that fits around the rubber.

The service I have had from the Cape Town agent is really good and he is very accommodating.

The lights themselves are stunning - they really work well in Africa at night time. I try not to travel after 16:30 or 17:30 latest, but sometimes the best plans of mice and men ... jawell no fine!!!

Mine are the driving lights (not the spots) and I angle the left hand one slightly to the left to light up the road verge a couple of hundred metres ahead, while the right hand one shines straigjt ahead in the middle of the lane. This way I combine the Patrol's hi-beam lights with the 6" KC Daylighters for good night time driving!

Hope this helps.
Herbie
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
Steve R
Full Name: Rogers
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Claremont, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2006 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Steve R »

For what it is worth, i had two sets of Kc spots ...... Not impressed with either of them ! ..... One was a set of fog lights for the west coast and they did not work that well. The other set, (normal spots) the one spot broke off at the base of the light after about 18 months. At the end of a days driving in Nambia all that was left was one mounting bolt and the wires on the bull bar!

I now have a set of Lightforce spots from Australia. They are incredible (but pricy but in my view good value), they are made of poly carbonate, so they will not suffer metal fatigue, they have been on my Patrol for 4 years with no trouble at all. Check them out on the web. They are pretty reasonable in Oz if you have a mate there who can being them over for you. The other great thing is these spots can be purchased with diffrent filters for different applications, so that you can convert your spots to fog lights or special game viewing lights with diffrent covers on the same spot that take less than a minute to change!
Langman
Full Name: Jacques Landman
Nickname: Jakes
Home Town: Uitenhage
Current 4x4: Patrol
Home Language: English / Afrikaans

Post by Langman »

Thanks guys for the input I however have had them fitted in the meantime so now only time will tell if this was a mistake or not. :pray:
Saltman wrote:I have had problems with the sealing rings and the lights collected condensation on the inside of the lenses.
This I noted on the very first wash! The lights work well at night so no complaints that side just was not impressed with the condensation showing up so soon! :thumbdown: I have yet to take them in to the supplier, LA SPORT, to check out so let's hope I don't come back with complaints of them as a supplier in PE Area when I do eventually do so. Fortunately (not that it is agood thing) we don't get a lot of rain these days in PE so that has been some sort of a blessing in disguise.
Langman
2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Zantus
Full Name: Barto de Koning
Nickname: Zantus
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: '01 4.5 GU & '91 4.2D GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Zantus »

Steve R wrote:the one spot broke off at the base of the light after about 18 months.
A friend of mine was an agent here in PE a few years ago and he gave it up, because he had too many comebacks of lights broken off at the base. That said, I have friends who have KC's on their cars for the last 10 years without any issues.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

- die kiekies doen mar die praatwerk hier - gellukkig het ek die "afgevalle" lig weer opspoor. (hy het afgeval op die "Namaqua 4x4 Roete" op die 2-spoor paadjie tussen 'Road to Hell' en Vioolsdrift'] SAFARI Centre se ouens het ingestaan vir die afval en ek het HELLA opgesit [hulle sit nog]
KC op Agarob.jpg
KC op Agarob.jpg (209.34 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
KC op Agarob_2.jpg
KC op Agarob_2.jpg (186.43 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”