Full Name: Neil Crause
Nickname: Forest
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i (sold)
Home Language: English

Re: The well known

Post by Forest »

graham1 wrote:Both of mine have 2inch lifts and they both go completely straight, no sign of any pulling at all.

Has it done this ever since you bought it? Maybe something not right with the lift kit in it? Isn’t there something like the left hand side springs are supposed to be longer than the rights or something like that, maybe they were installed wrong way round. I dunno.

Btw, where were you that you broke the exhaust off!?
Hi Graham

Its done it since I bought it.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the suspension set up, but I'll be changing the coils sometime soon. As I've built in a fridge and drawer in the rear with bzt rear bumper so the rear is sagging abit.

We did Piesangkloof and Hennops them headed home and have a few obstacles on the property, on a steep obstacle and the rear exhaust tip caught when rolling back and folded in under the car.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Forest

Post by Forest »

Peter Connan wrote:I am concerned that it is actually wearing the outer edge of the tire noticably! This sounds like more of a problem than normal.

I don't think a drag link will help. The directional stabiliser tht Marinus advertised a few weeks ago wouldstop the pulling but i don't know if itwill fix the wear.

Ay chance you can post the actual wheel alignment values?

Also, nust a trick I found: running the right-hand tire slightly softer fixes it on my car...
Hi Peter.

I'll have a look for the wheel alignment papers and post once I find them

Forest

Re: The well known "Pull left" topic again.

Post by Forest »

Good evening Gents

I've attached the latest wheel alignment figures

What I have noticed is the year model on the printout is 88 to 00, my patrol is a 2010 model. So not sure how much the specs would change and if this might be a contributing factor

CheersImage

Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

They state all is within spec but their printout quite clearly shows a significant issue with castor...

However, there don't appear to be any significant other problems that would indicate a bent chassis or axle tube.

When you get tge car back, try finding a road where you can drive on the wrong side of the camber (in other words a straight road leaning to the right) and see if the car still pulls left. If it does, i am pretty sure the problem is tire related. In ither words, a quiet road where you can drive on the wrong side for a few hundred meters.

Remember that we discuss this in more detail when you collect your bash plate.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
jonathan
Full Name: Jonathan Venter
Nickname: jonathan
Home Town: Jacobsbaai
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by jonathan »

I have castor correction bushes in my control arms, but I also have a strong left pull although all alignment measurements are within spec. But, I was trying to sort out an issue with nylon bushes on my panhard rod on the weekend and that got me wondering - if you don't install an adjustable panhard rod, does the fact that the track of the front axle shifts to the left (or is that right :doh:) when you install a lift kit not have anything to do with the pulling left issue? Especially when they do 4 wheel alignment, but the front axle is now not anymore in it's original position? It may not have anything to do with it and I certainly don't have the technical savvy to work it out!

Wat dink jy Peter?

edit - good thing I don't try and solve other peoples issues for a living. Forgot that the rear panhard will obviously shift the rear axle by the same value if the amount of lift is the same :doh:

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”