Nickname: Bre
Home Town: Bellville
Current 4x4: 1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
2000 Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TDi Sport
2003 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 SEL DC 4x4
Home Language: English

Brake upgrade options

Post by Bre »

I'm looking to get some serious power under the bonnet of my 1999 4.5 GRX but the brakes seem just about adequate with the current power output (which also means it's way inadequate with my heavy right foot). I need to get it to stop better, and if I'm going to give tit more power, it's going to have to stop even better.

So I'm going to need to upgrade the brakes. In know the later model GUs have slightly bigger disks and slightly bigger piston in the brake calipers but I'm not sure that's going to be enough of a difference for me.

So, has anyone upgraded their brakes or know what options are out there for better stopping power?
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Re: Brake upgrade options

Post by hugejp »

It depends on the power upgrades you are talking about...

You can do a Powerbrake disc & pad upgrade, the upgrade is good however the pads are only available from the agents.

I personally would look at a 4.8 brake upgrade, using the 4.8 booster, master, discs, calipers & pads.

Its an OEM solution that has been done in AUS for years & the pad sourcing will be the same as your current Nissan parts.

This is also only an upgrade for the front as the handbrake systems differ, but that should be more than sufficient.

The other consideration is the rim caliper clearance, the 4.5 can run 15" rims due to the smaller caliper, the 4.8 caliper will fowl on 15" rims so you will have to run at least 16".
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

This upgrade may not be sufficient for what you are wanting, but.... I bought new discs (rotors) and matching pads from Marinus ( Terrain Tamer Parts), and there was a definite improvement in braking. My discs were not very bad to start with but I didn't want to skim them. I didn't even clean the calipers up or do a seal change and they have 300 000Km on them... oh and I replaced the brake fluid too.... just because I can...haha.

The new rotors and matching pads were VERY reasonably priced compared to any locally sourced kits, and was delivered to my door
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

My 23 year old y60's brakes are good enough to lock up any tires i've ever had on it at any speed.

If yours aren't, I suspect there may be something wrong, and if they are, a brake upgrade surely isn't actually going to make any real difference?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by XenoBlitz »

Bre wrote: 07 Jul 2019 14:56 I'm looking to get some serious power under the bonnet of my 1999 4.5 GRX
Awesome! What do you plan on doing?

I'm currently running a 4.5 with aftermarket turbo (also a 1999 GRX) and even though I'm not the fastest Patrol out there, I'm getting decent enough numbers. I've driven more than 10 000 km since the upgrade and I've not felt any need to upgrade the brakes just yet. The Patrol stops well enough under "normal" driving conditions. Are you planning on track racing that you need some serious stopping power or do you have problems with your existing brakes? If it is the latter, then just replacing with Terrain tamer parts should be enough.
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
Bre
Full Name: Brent Harris
Nickname: Bre
Home Town: Bellville
Current 4x4: 1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
2000 Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TDi Sport
2003 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 SEL DC 4x4

Post by Bre »

Peter Connan wrote: 07 Jul 2019 17:13 My 23 year old y60's brakes are good enough to lock up any tires I've ever had on it at any speed.

If yours aren't, I suspect there may be something wrong, and if they are, a brake upgrade surely isn't actually going to make any real difference?
The brakes are adequate as they are, but on the highway I tend to brake and accelerate hard; and a tank doesn't do either of that very well :sad:

Hence my need to upgrade both :wink:
hugejp wrote: 07 Jul 2019 15:18 You can do a Powerbrake disc & pad upgrade, the upgrade is good however the pads are only available from the agents.
I'm a bit hesitant with powerbrake. I'm not sure that they will support a vehicle that didn't sell in great numbers for very much longer.
hugejp wrote: 07 Jul 2019 15:18 I personally would look at a 4.8 brake upgrade, using the 4.8 booster, master, discs, calipers & pads.

Its an OEM solution that has been done in AUS for years & the pad sourcing will be the same as your current Nissan parts.

This is also only an upgrade for the front as the handbrake systems differ, but that should be more than sufficient.

The other consideration is the rim caliper clearance, the 4.5 can run 15" rims due to the smaller caliper, the 4.8 caliper will fowl on 15" rims so you will have to run at least 16".
It looks like this will be my best option in the long term, or the Terrain Tamers that Ricster mentioned.

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”