Nickname: Ruan
Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 D/C 4x4 Auto
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX M/T
Home Language: Afrikaans

Coil not "seating" properly after full flex

Post by NoPressure »

Good day all

I don't know if there is a limit on the amount of topics a person may start in a month - I might be close to it.

Anyway, so as the thread title suggests I have "re-seat" issue specifically the rear left coil after some flexercise.
I do realise it is due to the panhard rod being too short for the lift.

Thus, I have obviously thought about buying adjustable panhard rods. Although I think I should just replace the shocks and coils at some point with a 2" lift - as mine seems to be for heavy loading which I don't do with the Patrol at all.

The other cheaper option is to get these drop-out cones. They seem to guide the coil into the right place. Some kits get bolted on directly to the coil tower and others welded on. I would prefer the bolt-on variety.

So my question is - were do I get them? I cannot seem to find anything on the Terrain tamer website. Or can an engineering shop make me a set?

Secondly, where would the "cheap" cone option cause headaches? I'm thinking of bumpstops etc.

Could a third cheap option be to lengthen the coil towers "seat" in some form or manner?
Attachments
20190630_160511.jpg
20190630_160511.jpg (5.07 MiB) Viewed 2978 times
20190630_093849.jpg
20190630_093849.jpg (5.03 MiB) Viewed 2978 times
20190630_093947.jpg
20190630_093947.jpg (5.06 MiB) Viewed 2978 times
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: Coil not "seating" properly after full flex

Post by Peter Connan »

The drop-out cones I have seen are just schedule piping reducers. They can, as you say, just be welded in, or one could weld in some stuff to the reducer so they can bolt on.

Just not sure what size, but it should be quite easy to make up a set.

Considering how difficult it is for you to import stuff, do you want to try having something made up over there? Or do you want me to see if I can come up with something?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
NoPressure
Full Name: Ruan

Post by NoPressure »

Thanks Peter for always being willing to help.

Let me ask around for some assistance at an engineering shop before I let you go through all the effort.
Just to confirm - you don't see any issues arising from it?

Weirdly enough, I saw on BritPart online that they have - might go have a look today. Might be easier if they have some type of example.

But the pipe reducer I will be able to weld myself probably - thats a fantastic idea (not the me welding part)

Great stuff
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Just looking at this from a different angle. On my Patrol (without the rear stabilizer connected) when under full flex, I still cannot move the coils. My coils are for a 2" lift. Could it be that those rear coils have either sagged over time, or possibly even be standard coils. Those axles can flex massively and especially if there are 2" ( or longer ) shocks in. I think the cones would ensure the coils slide back into "position", but I don't think that is fixing the problem, but more masking the cause.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm looking at this all wrong
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
NoPressure
Full Name: Ruan

Post by NoPressure »

ricster wrote: 01 Jul 2019 11:09 Just looking at this from a different angle. On my Patrol (without the rear stabilizer connected) when under full flex, I still cannot move the coils. My coils are for a 2" lift. Could it be that those rear coils have either sagged over time, or possibly even be standard coils. Those axles can flex massively and especially if there are 2" ( or longer ) shocks in. I think the cones would ensure the coils slide back into "position", but I don't think that is fixing the problem, but more masking the cause.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm looking at this all wrong
No doubt Ricster - it is only a symptomatic solution. I think my short panhard rod "pulls" the Patrol to the side, that with most possibly sagging coils is the cause.

Thus, I need new suspension - but I 1st need to wait till the taxman comes in August to see whats left.

The service of Marinus is so good I'm almost already sold on Terrain tamer. Will going down to a 2" lift make me suffer a lot in the flex department? Front flex isn't bad but not too great...but I'm reading through Peters thread in it to understand why.

The big issue is transportation of such bulky things to Nam. And Marinus is 2100km away...
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

With a lot of flex, coil springs may un-seat, and providing you can get them back i their place this causes no issues.

I do think you should do something at the bottom end of the spring as well as the top though. A cone at one end, and some sort of clamp.at the other, else the spring might fall out completely. A bent piece of flat bar inserted through the coil sideways and just clamping the first coil shoul probably do the trick.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”