Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Steering Shock?????

Post by AndriesS »

Aj, did you get the TJM damper and did it have a dust cover for the rod part?
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by AndriesS »

Next question.

I checked the extension of the standard damper when wheels full lock to right and the TJM is very close to max. However when I took the damper out The standard damper is about 3cm's longer on full extension and the TJM is about 1cm shorter on compression. Now this is with the suspension level at normal stance. With 1 wheel droppping it might just change and I'm not sure that I want the steering damper playing my end stops for the right hand side. Now most of the times the damper manufacturer will tell you to check that you don;t reach the ends

So I'm getting closer to requesting my money back:
No dust cover
Too short

What do the experienced guys say?
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Haijj daa - ek konnie 'n s/damper vir Lobo kry nie [wsou moes wag -] en ek was oppad Botsw toe - toe sit Supa Quick 'n gewone [regte lengte darem] "two eye" MONROE shock op Lobo - en hy werk beauuuuuuuuuutiful [net juis gister weer Rhino gaan ry - geen probleme [ongeveer 5 000 Km nou al wat hy daar sy werk doen ... O-ja, hy was R380. gewees.]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by AndriesS »

Well, guess what no feedback yet from the place I bought it from, nor from TJM Australia - makes you think.

Funny enough TJM sells a:
TJM STONE GUARDS : Manufactured from powder coated steel, they are designed to protect your shock absorber from the damages of rocks thrown up from the tyres.

Uhm but the steering damper does not need a cover for the rod?

Oh yes and read this on the OME product :
Steering Stabilisers

Designed to reduce the effect of wheel vibration and improve the feel, handling and control of the vehicle, OME’s steering stabilisers will also reduce the aggressive rotation of the steering wheel over rough roads without affecting steering wheel return.

* 9 stage coil spring valving: for optimum performance
* 15mm piston rod: stronger than the original
* Steel stone guard: protects the piston rod against stone damage
* 35mm piston and bore: increased oil volume
* Twin tube design: protects the internal components against stone damage
* Multi lip seal: prevents oil loss
* Original mounts: for ease of installation original stabiliser mounts are used where appropriate

Stone guards is not actually new, the bog standard component has it, why does the improved better , thicker, yellower one not have it?

It's a pitty the Airtech Snorkel looks better, else I would have said I will not buy a TJM product again....
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Imho, it would be foolish to write off an entire product line due to one offending component. Perhaps they invested most of their money on more important units such as Springs, leaf packs, and more importantly, suspension shocks (gas or otherwise). Understandably, one would be upset about this if there is no solution presented from their side, ... but how could the unit be smaller, that seems really really odd!

I've had similar experience before with another component (different manufacturer and all, however) , are you sure they supplied you with the correct part (ie: not one for the cruiser or Defender ) . just check it out, you never know...

Please keep us informed if you could, i for one am really interested.

Best
Russ
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by AndriesS »

Hi Russ,

I acknowledge your statement , however I have a concern on the technical knowledge and arrogance of some of these so called experts in the field. Statement like some of the steering dampers don't have covers as it doesn't really matter is trying to feed me BS

I checked and double checked with the local and the Oz supplier.

The local guys confirmed the part number - only after I called their head office and complained about a) the part not looking right and b) the agent who sold me the damper did not get back to me. The HO said I should take the vehicle to the local agent to get the shock measured which clearly indicated that they were going to match it for size and not for damping.
I never got a reply from the email I sent of which address I got from their website.

I finally decided to fit the part and was disappointed as the shakes were worse than with the original damper which confirmed my suspicion of damping, I used it for a day driving the same roads so the condition were the same. I'm still contemplating whether I should take it back or use as a paper weights.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Everything you've said i have also had to go through before, its complete nightmare, and unacceptable. The problem with many "4x4 shops" is that people in South africa all jumped on the band wagon with dollar bills in their eyes but shit between their ears, just look at how many of these places spring up,and,often i find that i know more about the product,new models,size,specs etc etc, then the sales person does, ...how ridiculous is that. (although maybe its because they merely enjoyed 4x4's and found that it could be tool of commerce, but were not essentially skilled in business and all the associated after sales service that goes with it) (please guys, before you go red and explode, i'm clearly not talking about ALL outlets for gear and fitment, just voicing MY opinion thats all) as there are certainly those that contradict this generalisation.

My opinion re your issue. As hard as it is and as busy as you probably are with more important daily living, DO NOT GIVE UP. the reason these fly by night industries continue to yield profits is because no one fights these to the bitter end. Get your money back and go somewhere else, as clearly you've used all the right channels to rectify the issue but still it as left you worse off than your original "worn" item.

Its tough out there, thats why when i find a chap/business that really will offer me personalised service (and if theyt dont know, simply tell you :i dont know" - which i respect more) , i stick with them. And we not just talking 4x4 stuff here guys are we, its everywhere.

Dont use it as a paperweight, as they would have succesfully sold you a shit unit for good money , and that doesnt make sense.

Let me know what happens, and i hope you get sorted out.

Regards
Russ
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Wynvat
Full Name: Gerhard van Rhyn
Nickname: Wynvat
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX Y61 GU(4)

Post by Wynvat »

Die Patrol stuurwiel voel maar 'n bietjie "brokkelrig" selfs sonder 'n m%*rtoe damper. Maar 'n ou raak gou gewoond daaraan en voel dit later nie meer nie.

Ek het 'n TJM damper en is baie gelukkig daarmee.
2007 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
Africa does not break a Patrol. A Patrol breaks Africa.

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”