Full Name: Michael van Eeden
Nickname: Michael
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Suspension options

Post by mve100 »

Hi

I see the topic have been discussed but I need to upgrade my suspension and wnat to make sure I make the right option.

I currently have the iron man kit on. I bought it with them but they are nearing the end of life and I currently get a death wobble every now and again.....

I am currently considering (shocks + coil springs + steering damper + fitment):

1. OME kit R26 595 (Nitro shocks)
2. Tough dog R18 460 (Foam cell adjustable shock) The non-adjustable shock is R1 000 less
3. Iron man R18 120 excl fitment

Question is, is the OME R8 000 better than the other two options?
Any negatives regarding an adjustable shock?

Which one would you pick? Leaning towards tough dog at this stage....

Thanks
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Suspension options

Post by Kagiso II »

If I could afford to .. I would throw out the EFS suspension in the Prado NOW and fit a set of RANCHO RS 9000 adjustable shocks . Punt. point. fullstop. Klaar
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Post by Picasso »

Hi Michael,

I am busy with the same subject for the last couple of weeks and I will replace my suspension within the next 4 weeks.

The first question I would have is... why do you want to replace the complete kit ? If the car does not show any signs of sagging why not only replace the shocks ? I understand that a kit would be the best solution but it is not always necessary and cost nearly twice compared to just replacing the shocks.
And if you have been happy with the iron man setup so far why not just replace it with new iron man shocks ?

I have two vehicles which are fitted with OME suspension kit and it is OK..... to me nothing overly special.

The Patrol which still runs on standard shocks and springs is due for an upgrade as indicated above. I will however stay with the standard ride height. I will replace the standard 4.5 coils with 4.8 coils
(Thanks to Rob M. :thumbup: ) and I will fit new shocks..

I had a look at Tough Dog as well. There are some very favorable test reports out there but also mixed response in other forums. My main reason for looking at them was the adjustability option.
Opposite Lock / head office will provide excellent advice and is also quite approachable :thumbup: . However their dealers / fitters (Pretoria) seam to lack interest in their customer :thumbdown: . One other option I am looking into are the Rancho shocks which are equally adjustable (same principle and they are 1/2 the price of the Tough Dog).
The reviews on the Ranchos is equally mixed. Good reviews in America and mixed - bad reviews in Australia.
I have not finally decided yet but my tendency points towards the Ranchos, considering the price and warranty. :mytwocents:
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

I had the opportunity and extrem good luck to have had a set of RANCHO's fitted to my TERRANO [for free, by the factory]
I have long since sold the Terrano, Ywo owners later, close on to 150,000 Km later they still function. Albeit not as in the beginning [but then, NO shock will after those KM .. ]

MIKEM suspensions fit the Bilstein adjustable and serviceable shocks .. Also an option.

Best advice ?? DUNE OPFFRAOD .. They are the CALMINI suppliers AND they develop their own suspension kits PER vehicle and owner usage requirements.
Speak to ROBERT HALE
and go have a look see on their Web pgae [please tell Robert Oompie said he must give you NISSAN FORUM Discount] http://www.duneoffroad.co.za/
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
mve100

Post by mve100 »

Hi

Thanks spoke to Robert. Will take the patrol to him to evaluate if coil and shocks needs to be replaced.

He also spoke about Rancho shocks and iron man.

Picasso the price of Rancho and tough dog seems to be more or less the same? Around R2k to R2.2k?
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Post by Picasso »

Hi Michael

You seam to have a good Price for the TD.

The quotes which I have for the 4 shocks only (incl VAT excl fitment)

Tough Dog 10.380,00
Rancho 4.385,96 - 5.300,00 (different suppliers)

Thanks to Oom Mac I am also discussion with Dune Off Road and might just have them fitted there ... if we can agree on certain points. :wink:
Last edited by Picasso on 04 Nov 2015 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Boskoets
Full Name: Pieter Smit
Nickname: Boskoets
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Pimped Jimny

Post by Boskoets »

Graham just fitted a full OME suspension to my Patrol, have not had the chance to take it offroad yet but the ride quality is really nice and the car is very firm on the road.

I have Tough Dog in my Jimny and are happy with it but you cannot compare the two.

Had a chat to a mate of mine that works at LA Sport and they recon OME for the Patrols and Cruisers.

Pieter
mve100

Post by mve100 »

Picasso sorry my mistake the tough price I gave was not for the adjustable shock. The price is then more or less the same as yours.

Pieter the question is, is the OME worth the price difference of R8 000? Is it 40% better in other words.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Firstly, I want to point out that replacing springs and shocks will NOT cure a death wobble. For that, you need to look at suspension bushes, steering ball joints and wheel and king-pin bearings.

Secondly, my car has "ordinary" OME shocks (not the Nitro ones as far as I know). It had them on when I bought it at 190k km, and they are still going strong at 328k km. I have no experience with other shocks on my car, but my ride is noticeably smoother than any other Patrol I have sat passenger in. Of course this is also affected by springs, and I can't tell you what spec of springs I have...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

Hi

I just got ( 1 month ago) a full set of OME coils springs, rear sway bar extension bracket and nitro charger (not the Nitro charger sport ones as they are too stiff for my liking)shocks and it cost me about R14500 from 4x4 Mega world capetown. I did not need the castor bushes but they are R2500 for the four and the steering damper I don't want as I prefer the Nissan one. the price you got sounds very steep.
Call them and ask for Thembile, they give discount :thumbup:

OME is good, if the other suspension companies don't sell you a sway bar extension bracket with a lift kit then I would walk away.

As Peter said suspension don't normally cause a death wobble.

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”