My car walks like a duck

Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

My car walks like a duck

Post by Alex Roux »

I went to the wheel alignment people this week.
My truck was leaning slightly to the left (Ooh sorry, my car has spark plugs. Better not call it a truck then?)

Once fixed, the steering guy says that the car still toes a bit out.
And he cannot adjust it, since my steering rod (in picture) cannot be shortened.
Hence my car drive with the front wheels pointing slightly outwards - like a duck (or a ballerina, for that matter, a slightly overweight ballerina)
This means that the tyres will also wear off slightly quicker on the inside (I think?).

Anyhow, it may be worth investing in an adjustable steering rod.
Does anyone know if this is available. Or better, can it be made from the existing rod?
If I am not mistaken, some models do have this. Christo Slang I think has one.
SteeringRod.jpg
SteeringRod.jpg (508.98 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: My car walks like a duck

Post by Peter Connan »

Alex, take your car to somebody who actually knows what he is doing...

The steering rod in the picture (also known as the drag link) connects the left-hand front wheel with the steering box on the chassis, and has absolutely nothing to do with the way the two wheels point in relation to one another. The only thing it has any control over is the direction the steering wheel points in.

Toe (either in or out) is controlled by the tie rod, which is the thick arm behind the axle. This connects the right-hand wheel with the left-hand wheel, thus controlling toe.

And it IS adjustable. In ALL Patrols.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Dr Chris
Full Name: Chris van Selm
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Malkerns. Swaziland
Current 4x4: PATROL 4800 GRX 2004
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Dr Chris »

Good morning Gentlemen,
I am so glad about the comments initiated by Alex and answered by Peter, as the issue surrounding wheel alignment has always been a bone of contention at most, if not all tire centers. This has also been something I was personally unclear about, partially because I am not mechanically competent, and also because I could never get clarity from local chats.
Many thanks, I will sleep better tonight!
Regards, Chris
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.

Post by bogeyman »

Gents,

I can confidently confirm Peters reply.

Toe in / out must be set perfectly as it will affect tyre wear and to some extent handling. If it is at zero it can even trigger death wobble.

What can not easily be corrected on a Patrol , is castor/camber angle. The solid front axle makes this difficult to correct.
There are ways of correcting it like when a lift alters castor angle . different control arm bushes will do the trick.

Chris.
mve100
Full Name: Michael van Eeden
Nickname: Michael
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX

Post by mve100 »

Hi

I am also finding that my patrol is leaning left. Where is a good place to take it in the Pretoria/Centurion area?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

I can only speak for auto wiel centorion west
Speak to barend there he has done plenty patrols 012 656 0033 give him a call they are next to R55 and high way just behind sasol garage look out for tire mart sign :thumbup:
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

I can second Tinus's choice. They were the first to solve my wheel balancing / wobble issues by turning the tyres on the rims and using the finger adapter and not the cone - 3 different places were clueless.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Clem »

Peter Connan wrote:Alex, take your car to somebody who actually knows what he is doing...

The steering rod in the picture (also known as the drag link) connects the left-hand front wheel with the steering box on the chassis, and has absolutely nothing to do with the way the two wheels point in relation to one another. The only thing it has any control over is the direction the steering wheel points in.

Toe (either in or out) is controlled by the tie rod, which is the thick arm behind the axle. This connects the right-hand wheel with the left-hand wheel, thus controlling toe.

And it IS adjustable. In ALL Patrols.
That and you can set the thing yourself at home with a simple tape measure if you know what the specs are/should be. I've done it often enough on a Land Rover. It's really not a big deal. Usually a little bit of toe in is specced.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

mve100 wrote:Hi

I am also finding that my patrol is leaning left. Where is a good place to take it in the Pretoria/Centurion area?
Michael, leaning is not something that can be adjusted during wheel alignment. In fact, the toe (as described above) is in fact the only "adjustment" on a Patrol's wheel alignment (by adjustment, I mean any operation that does not involve adding or replacing parts).

Leaning is a sign of sagging or incorrectly fitted springs (the driver's side spring is a little longer than the passenger side and if they are swopped around the car will lean to the driver's side).

It can be "corrected" by adding spacers to the springs on the lower side, but this is not ideal on a vehicle that is used as Patrols should be used (as the spacer effectively makes the spring longer, resulting in it possibly going coil-bound under heavy compression and by-passing the bump stops, resulting in massive forces being transferred through parts not designed for them). I would strongly recommend either living with it or replacing the springs...

:mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by dieselfan »

I was also at a Suspension Expert so some idiot welded th adjustment shut and it was very common on 2nd hand vehicles...a quick call to PeterC and my car was out of there... :oldtimer:

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”