ws49
Full Name: Warren
Nickname: Warren
Home Town: Durban
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
Home Language: English

PATROL RIDE QUALITY

Post by ws49 »

I have purchased a 2011 Patrol factory standard fittings. The ride is firmer that I expected on all terrain. Is this normal or can anything be done to the suspension to soften it up to be a bit more comfortable. Not doing serious off roading but using more as overlanding tourer. Cheers, thanks for any help.
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: PATROL RIDE QUALITY

Post by David »

Cheapest way to improve ride quality is to lower tyre pressures. Try around 2.1 bar.
If this doesn't work you will have to look aftermarket suspension (OME or TJM) but choose their comfort shocks :salute:

btw - Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I assume that your 2011 Patrol still has solid front and rear axles...... this is what makes the Patrol..... and ALL SFA ( solid front axle ) vehicles a bit more bumpy than IFS ( Independence front suspension ).
reason.... what ever happens on the one side of the axle will be felt on the other side too, where as IFS..... each wheel doesn't influence the other.

Tyre pressure does help to curb this, as well as tyre size. For example, yours might have 31" (OD) tyres on as std. You could fit 33" tyres. This will give you a higher side wall ( more flex) and make your speedo accurate...ha ha. more flex in the side wall will give you a more comfy ride.

:mytwocents: :mytwocents:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Cedrick, don't want to get all technical here, but the main reason SFA vehicles are more bumpy than IFA vehicles, is not because the bump is transferred side to side by the axle (this simply isn't true, if it were the other front wheel would have to lift off the ground), but because it has a much higher unsprung weight. The effect of the unsprung weight is that as a percentage of total weight, the sprung weight is less, and this means the body effectively has less momentum keeping it steady.

However, you are correct with what you are saying about tires. Furthermore, this vehicle may well be on 17" rims, which also doesn't help. WS, when your tires are due for replacement, I would suggest examining the possibility of replacing the rims with 16". You could well find that a set of 16" aftermarket rims and tires may be cheaper or fairly equavalent in price to a set of 17" tires. This will also give you more sidewall height, and better flotation on low-pressure tires, but the downside is a slight reduction in high-speed stability.

Also, tire brand will influence ride quality. BF's for example are bumpier than many others, because of their three-ply sidewalls. It's all a matter of priorities.

You will also find conversely that when the road becomes really bad, the Patrol will feel "softer" than most other vehicles. This is because of the exceptional articulation (vertical wheel travel) afforded by the SFA layout, and therefore less use is made of the bump-stops.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

WS,

Tyres play a large part in the ride quality. Also the suspension. All of the aftermarket suspensions that raise the, either 35 mm or 50 mm will give you a firmer ride rather than a bumpier ride.

Between OME and TJM , you can select different coils from [wave=blue]soft[/wave] to a very high load coil.
If you are contemplating changing the wheels be very carefull of the aftermarket oprions. The partol hasa unique hub that has a radius on it that heps with the standard wheel fitment. You will have to either fit a 5 mm spacer to create a flush fit or machine the reverse radius into the rim.

Suggestion is you visit your local tyre dealer and ask for options on tyres and also have the suspension, or rather shocks tested.Going to 33'S with standard suspension could have problems, but would also effect the crawl speed and road holding.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Grootseun
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Driko Henningse
Nickname: Grootseun
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2001 3.0 TDI Patrol
2006 3.3v6 Kingcab ( 4x2 ) on 33" ( sold )
2012 Navara Kingcab 4x2 2.5 tdi

Post by Grootseun »

WS49 , please dont take this the wrong way but when i was young and ignorant i bought a SFA hilux , the first time i told the hilux crowd the ride i bumpy i was told to grow a pair :blonde:

Trust me the patrol now feels like a limo , but yes tyre pressures , and diameters will make a huge difference and of course th eoption of aftermarket suspension is available
2001 9.4 Patrol DI GRX
Bigger Intercooler
Oil Catch Can
PC Bash Plates
More Mods to follow
Tony
Full Name: Antonio Barone
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Greyton - W/Cape
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Tony »

While we're on about tyres & tyre pressures, is there a "correct / standard" pressure we should be using?? My Patrol has the sticker in the front door still with recommended front at 2.0 bar and rear at 2.6 bar which I have been pumping my tyres to since I bought it - with standard 265 70 16 wheels. I recently replaced with Cooper 265 75 16 's and the guys at the suppliers that did the fitment were horrified that I should want to have the front so low and pointed out wear on the tyres associated with a "too low" tyre pressure. They suggested 2.5 bar all round no question!! This does make her a little more bumpy on certain tar surfaces. Also the harder pressures bring out some unwanted squeaks and rattles!

Dirt roads - no problem, except corrigations especially in Kruger and such places where one cannot exceed 40km/h then you feel every jaw rattling bump.
Tony
Full Name: Antonio Barone
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Greyton - W/Cape
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Tony »

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that I am riding on Ironman suspension with softer springs and gas shocks as opposed to foam cell's. Any comments on performance difference between Ironman and TJM / OME - are they better or only more expensive???
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Tony, 2 Bar seems very low. I don't know.

However, in places like the kruger, you can probably drop your pressures to 1.8 or so for your whole trip, as the mileages you do are so little it will probably have a negligable effect on your overall tire wear?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ws49
Full Name: Warren
Nickname: Warren
Home Town: Durban
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by ws49 »

Any feedback on an EFS suspension upgrade to this vehicle. What benefits will there be and how will it affect the ride and handling?

Thanks WS

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”