Full Name: Francois de Waal
Nickname: Baberninja
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.5 GL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Wheel wobble gone!

Post by Baberninja »

Hi Guys

I recently got a 2000 Patrol 4.5 GL (GU)

I got it for a very good price but with a horrible and dangerous steering wheel shake. It would career of the road at times. I think this is why I got it for such a good price.

What I did to fix this:

Change front brake discs - Dealer payed for this
Changed non-functioning steering damper - R 1300 TJM
Changed panhard rod bushes - About R 550 from dealer - Same as GQ - GU patrol only the whole panhard rod for R 2700
Injected all tie-end rods with teflon - This made the biggest difference - R 50 each!
Balance and alignment.

Trollie feels like a car now - perfect, shake was worst at 95 km/h - Most trucks speed which you will get stuck behind.
The shake even at this speed is completely gone - no more worries from the wife or passengers.

To check for wear get under the car and shake the tie-rod and drag-link by hand, there should be no sound or movement in the tie-ends. Also gets someone to turn the wheel, you will see if there is play - none is allowed. Check panhard rod as well.

The tie-end rods for the tie-rod is not separately available - must get the whole tie-rod for about R3700 from Nissan + waiting time.
Drag link tie-ends can be replaced, but about R 500 if you go to Midas.
I opted to inject the tie end rods with teflon. This is self lubricating and tough enough to withstand knocks. Works very well, we'll see how long it lasts but the more experienced guys tells me it lasts forever. Check the yellow pages or phone around a bit. You will just need to remove the rods, the shop will drill a hole in it, inject it with teflon and fill the hole with teflon as well. Re-install and bob's your uncle.

Hope this helps with the wobble.

Cheers
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Re: Wheel wobble gone!

Post by KOOS BEST »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Good , there are plenty post on this site re. the DEATH WOBBLE .Nice to see you got it sorted out. A common problem with SFA vehicles.Very annoying.
If I am not mistaken, Ross has also posted quite a nice post re, this a few months ago.
Groetnis
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
Freakazoid
Full Name: Pierre Becker
Nickname: Pierre
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: GQ

Post by Freakazoid »

Guys, don't exclude the tyres from the Death Wobble list. I just had a set of brand new MTZ's on my Patrol and it shake like hell, drifts all over the place and when you brake hard the car veers side to side. I replaced my rims with 16" and put Copper STT's on. Car drives like a dream now.Both sets of tyres and rims were well balanced and in good condition on the same car. Teh only real difference was tread pattern. Boy do the MTZ make a noise, STT is dead quiet compared.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Sheez, then the MTZ's must be noisy as heck!
Freakazoid
Full Name: Pierre Becker
Nickname: Pierre
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: GQ

Post by Freakazoid »

Stefan, if you want noizy mud terrains you can make any of the quiet ones go noizy by rotating regularly. Le the thing wear in and don't rotate. Align regularly.

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”