Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

GU Dashboard - Bubbles

Post by JohnBoyZA »

The bubbles started out of the blue and escalated into a full blown disease in a few weeks. I have just fetched my Patrol with a new dash which Nissan replaced under warranty. :thumbup:

A few points:
  • Patrols (GU) 2005-2007 are often affected.
    Nissan have not provided a reason, besides saying they think there was a poor batch of dashes produced.
    So what do I do when it happens again and the vehicle is out of warranty (those 3 years fly by)?
    Is it a warranty item or not. Surely a factory (manufacturing) fault should be replaced regardless of the warranty, within reason of course.
Extract below from the GU reference document compiled by Aussies and can be found here:

http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=149

BUBBLING DASH
Yes on the 2005 model and some 2006 model Patrols it has been known that the dash’s start
bubbling if they are subjected to a lot of “in the sun” time.
On my dash I had a series of small bubbles in a line where the sun visor did not quite reach and
the sun was getting past.
On a friends DX he had bubbles the length of your middle finger and as thick as a thumb.
In both cases we treated the dash’s differently. I only ever use a damp sponge to clean mine and
he used Armorall. I always use a sun visor, and he did not. My vehicle was purchased in August
2005 his October 2005.
I do know of another person with a 2005 model GU that did not have dash bubbling problem
until he stopped using his sun visor for about a month, his visor covered the whole windscreen
unlike my slightly shorter one.
So as you can see there is no real trigger to get the dash bubbling except the sun.
Needless to say apparently Nissan have a whole heap of dash mats on back order, and no one
can confirm whether the problem is fixed or not.
Just as a side note, Nissan is not the only manufacturer that has had an issue with bubbling
dash’s, there is a well know Australian car manufacturer that does as well.
I probably should have taken some pictures of both dash’s before replacement but never got
around to it, so if yours is bubbling please send me a pic or two so I can put in this document for
all to see.

Lunar’s Pic

http://patrol4x4.co.za/download/file.php?id=160
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”