Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

klonk noise on a 4.2 pickup

Post by ricster »

Ok.... here's a brain teaser that's confusing me cause it doesn't make sense !!

A mate is doing some repair work on a Patrol Pick Up. Its a 4.2 diesel, so one of the earlier ones. Originally there was an Old Man Emu suspension ( 50mm lift ) fitted. The problem is that when he brakes hard, there is a "klonking" noise. Almost like a bottoming out, but I battle to see this, I mean how can you bottom out under braking???.... anyway, moving on....

The coils and shocks were then replaced with a brand new EFS set up. But it still does the same noise. I am told that the coils are the right length as per the specs in the various suspension manufactures books. ( some manufacturers have longer , by a few mm, coils but with thinner gauge steel and others shorter with thicker steel, but all specific to the GU Pick Up ). The weird thing is that the coils seem loose in their housing, and we are assuming that the noise is the coil moving around in the housing.... but .... How can this be, as there is weight on the front end. We also know that the TD42 motor is not the lightest of motors either. So how can the coils not sit tight? Where can this klonk noise come from? The shocks are matching the springs ( 50mm lift ).

Next line of thought is that there are some seriously worn out bushes..... but which ones. The Pick Up is a farm vehicle so probably been punished a bit, but the Patrol suspension is not exactly prone to failing from a little rough offroad work.

So please tell me what you think?
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: klonk noise on a 4.2 pickup

Post by Stefan »

I think if you can hear the klonk noise the radio must be broken or the amp is too small.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Cedric, it might be worth checking out the radius arm bushes. maybe they are worn and the diff moves back just a bit under braking?
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

ricster wrote:Ok.... here's a brain teaser that's confusing me cause it doesn't make sense !!

A mate is doing some repair work on a Patrol Pick Up. Its a 4.2 diesel, so one of the earlier ones. Originally there was an Old Man Emu suspension ( 50mm lift ) fitted. The problem is that when he brakes hard, there is a "klonking" noise. Almost like a bottoming out, but I battle to see this, I mean how can you bottom out under braking???.... anyway, moving on....

The coils and shocks were then replaced with a brand new EFS set up. But it still does the same noise. I am told that the coils are the right length as per the specs in the various suspension manufactures books. ( some manufacturers have longer , by a few mm, coils but with thinner gauge steel and others shorter with thicker steel, but all specific to the GU Pick Up ). The weird thing is that the coils seem loose in their housing, and we are assuming that the noise is the coil moving around in the housing.... but .... How can this be, as there is weight on the front end. We also know that the TD42 motor is not the lightest of motors either. So how can the coils not sit tight? Where can this klonk noise come from? The shocks are matching the springs ( 50mm lift ).

Next line of thought is that there are some seriously worn out bushes..... but which ones. The Pick Up is a farm vehicle so probably been punished a bit, but the Patrol suspension is not exactly prone to failing from a little rough offroad work.

So please tell me what you think?

I sometimes get exactly the same noise with mine. It comes and goes though. (At the moment its quite again). Does he also hear it when going over a speedbump?
I was also wondering if it is the coils or the shocks. I only get it on the left side though and noticed that if I wet /pressure spray the coils/shocks the sound goes away.

P.S. can a steering damper cause any noise? I noticed oil leaking out of mine...
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

@SJC..... I doubt the steering arm damper will make that noise unless it is bent and the inner and outer casing is touching. I didn't ask about speedbumps..... I'll find out...

@ Michael.... Hmmm ... will check those
Regards
Cedric
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

These bushes gave me various klonks just like you describe:
Bushes3.jpg
Bushes3.jpg (423.25 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
The klonk comes from the arm bashing into the axle tube.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Yip this could very well be the problem......

Will keep you posted on the outcome.....
Regards
Cedric
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Sorry: I've edited my post twice now.

I suspect worn Radius arm bushes...... however,... be sure to check that when the coils are installed the wire-end at the bottom coil seat is oriented in the same position on BOTH left and right sides,as unlike Land Cruisers,Nissan patrols have no factory fitted spring locator, so there is room for human error here. Any differences can possibly mean that the coil seating is unmatched and hence movement on either coil could result under rebound and/or compression.

The most alarming thing of all though, is that the company who installed the new EFS 2" lift kit didnt even alert the owner to whatever issue this is, .... shameful. I find this kind of thing happening all the time. Absolutely clueless . I simply dont trust any after market fitters in this country...all the gear no idea.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Russ they put the EFS coils in to see it there is a difference or issue between the Old Man Emu and EFS, as this was happening with the OME coils too.

Yeah there are a few dodgy companies out there, but there are a few that know what they are doing and are also at least willing to find the solution to a problem. We can't paint all the fitment centres with the same brush.....
Regards
Cedric
Danie du Preez
Full Name: Danie du Preez
Nickname: Danie du Preez
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: Toyota Hilux

Post by Danie du Preez »

I am the mate ricster is referring to. Just to clear the air the owner is fully aware of what is happening on his vehicle and very happy as up to now the problem could not be solved. The reason for the post is that ricster kindly offered to help after I described the problem to him. Once in a while you come across a problem that needs help from passionate owners as the answer might not be as straight forward. It is unclear if all the suspension components is standard as the vehicle was bought second hand. By the looks of it everything appears standard and aged in similar fashion. During the next visit the vehicle will be stripped completely to inspect every bush by itself and to measure the other parts for discrepancies. The owner travels between SA and ZIM making it difficult to have the vehicle available for longer periods to inspect. Without stripping all the parts it makes it difficult to give a full assessment of the state of the bushes. They do however (without stripping look "ok"). Apart from the klonking sound the coils can be move slightly from left to right with enough force (pull hard by hand) when the vehicle is stationary. This is the first time we experienced coils that can move in this way with full weight on it. We are not ashamed to admit we are puzzled. The solution will be found with enough time available on the vehicle but the passionate patrol owners might just know best. This is not a suspension brand issue but a car issue as this happens with 3 different makes available (all reputable). At this stage we have contacted 2 of them for technical assistance and one was on site. They are also puzzled. The next time the vehicle is available we will have the others there also. That is only in about 2 weeks from now. Will keep you posted on the outcome as I am sure it will be interesting. Thanks for the input so far. Greatly appreciated.

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”