Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Where to enter cabin with cables?

Post by Saltman »

Hi Everyone

I have started the modification process to get my 4.8GL to become overland ready! Yeeha!

I had the good fortune to purchase and fit a 2nd hand ARB bumper. I now wish to couple up my VHF radio antenna (mounted on a bullbar tab), the wiring for the foglights and the spotlights.
1. Does anyone have a specific easy cable route where to enter the firewall and into the cabin? If there is one, could those who have done this please post a photo.
2. In addition I would like to lay solid cables (welding type) to the rear of the car for the 2nd battery set-up. Is there a preferred entry point from underneath the vehicle to the load area?
3. Does anyone know where the pushbutton switches that look like the existing Nissan type ones already fitted in the car can be obtained? I am looking for a double action switch to be able to first select fog lights and then the spotlights. However I am not sure that I want to pay the exorbitant dealer prices ...
4. The GL has a dummy in the spot where the GRX foglight switch is located. The wiring loom for the foglights is located behind the bumper, but I am not sure where to pick it up in the cabin (close to the switch location maybe?).

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
Lunar

Re: Where to enter cabin with cables?

Post by Lunar »

Saltman,

On my GRX I used the blank plate where the cluth pedal supposed to be.
I removed the plate, drilled 2 x 20mm holes with a wholesaw and inserted 2 x PVC cable compression glands.
Now the weldingcables can acces the cab, and are well protected.
Attachments
Patrol 003.jpg
Patrol 003.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Patrol 001.jpg
Patrol 001.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
88 Safari Pick-up
Wheels

Re: Where to enter cabin with cables?

Post by Wheels »

Bring your VHF cable in through your existing arial cable grommet. The battery cables can be inserted in the main grommets at the back of the car. This will bring the cables in at the back where you want them.

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”