Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: What are they for?

Post by Stefan »

Snatch Strap has a limited lifespan, Snatch Rope seems to be able to go much longer. Engel on this forum sells a 'Pofadder' recovery rope which is a great piece of kit.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Get yourselves a real 4x4 and you will not get stuck, GQ the way to go stuckless :blonde: :rolling: QQQ :woo:

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

ha ha ha @ Jules.... The GU also never gets stuck :lol: :lol:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Roy, I would strongly discourage this unless you always follow the correct safety procedures for a full snatch recovery.

The thing is that a snatch rope works by storing energy during a recovery. But firstly there is no way of knowing what the energy level in the rope is, and secondly because it acts as an elastic, when something breaks that energy is unleashed.

When using a normal rope or strap, if something breaks very little energy is unleashed, and things generally just fall to the ground with minimum flailing around. This does not happen with a snatch rope. When something breaks and a snatch rope is involved, the chances are that a missile is unleashed. You only need 10 minutes on Youtube to see how bad it can get.

So never use a snatch rope without also employing all the correct safety measures, IE weights on the rope, lanyards and dismissing bystanders.

On the other hand, using momentum with a normal strap can severely damage your vehicle. So don't.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by dieselfan »

Thanks, Tinus the way I have used mine is more like a forgiving tow strap. I reckon it's less stress on car. During all actual recoveries I use the appropriate dampeners however have only once needed to snatch at speed.

If you think about it though there's only 2 places one generally gets stuck - MUD and SAND in both instances the towing vehicle generally has traction issues. So a snatch shouldn't cause harm as the towing vehicle barely moves :think: .

Jules if you don't get stuck you aren't trying hard enough QQQ I had to recover the literal official recovery vehicle (land cruiser fully kitted out by la sport) in Moremi, ironically we drove through the obstacle he got stuck in with no drama. So far I believe independent suspension vehicles to have an advantage in mud ruts due to their profile. Wheels in rut high center.

Truth be told with time you get to know where you will get stuck and back in Moremi I got stuck within 1m of a crossing, the front just dropped, but I suspected I'd get stuck so took it very slow. It was a casual recovery with snatch but we used it as tow rope. Due to limited traction the recovery vehicle just idled in 1st low, strap was taught and it stretched eventually my car came free and moved ever so slowly backwards - no sudden jerks etc. With a normal tow rope I have no doubt the towing vehicle would have ripped up the earth. So provided you have an appropriately rated strap and dampeners is a snatch used in this manner not better for the environment and it 's low recovery loads. Looking at the video footage it was an easy recovery but due to traction you need the elasticity it's less drama.

I've seen the prunes on YouTube :think: I'm not from the Gee dit voet mentality. I subscribe to the as slow as possible as fast as necessary club.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg

Post by Clem »

ricster wrote:ha ha ha @ Jules.... The GU also never gets stuck :lol: :lol:

Everything gets stuck. Especially in black cotton soil .
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg

Post by Clem »

Anyone ever watch/do a snatch recovery with a Wit Hings in the SADF? Quite entertaining watching a Ratel become temporarily airborne.

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”