NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Re: No reverse gear A/T

Post by NMAD »

Its interesting as when I ordered the auto dipstick for the 5 speed box they sent me the older Patrol 4 speed auto dip stick and it has a locking mechanism on it so it can't accidentally come out of the filler pipe.
Attachments
IMG_8464 (1).JPG
IMG_8464 (1).JPG (101.65 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
IR_Eddie
Full Name: Eduard groenewald
Nickname: IR_Eddie
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX ('07)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by IR_Eddie »

Got some feedback from the workshop on the oil issue. Apparently he accidentally selected the wrong oil type on the quote. The correct one he will be using is Ravenol matic type D?
Any views on this?

RAVENOL ATF Matic Fluid Type D is fully synthetic ATF based on PAO with special additives and inhibition, which ensure the proper function of automatic transmission.

RAVENOL ATF Matic Fluid Type D is ATF (Automatic-Transmission-Fluid) for the latest generation of Nissan automatic transmissions. It guarantees a high wear protection in all operating conditions. RAVENOL ATF Matic Fluid Type D has red colour.
Application Notes

RAVENOL ATF Matic Fluid Type D is suitable for use in 4- and 5- step automatic transmissions from Nissan.
Quality Classifications

RAVENOL ATF Matic Fluid Type D can replace following Automatic Transmission Fluids of Nissan:
Practice and tested in aggregates with filling

Nissan KLE2200002, Nissan KLE2000004, Nissan 999MP-MTS00P, Nissan KE90899931R
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Use the nissan one .... :mytwocents:
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Clem »

Eddie,

By all accounts the Nissan product is a rebranded Castrol product that meets or exceeds a specific standard referred to as JASO 1A (used by Japanese manufacturers), so in theory, any oil that meets or exceeds that specification should be okay. However, I am with Tinus on this one – I would go buy the original oil from Nissan; whatever it costs, it is going to be a lot cheaper than replacing your transmission if in the end it turns out that for any reason the "other oil" that you use is in any way incompatible with any of the transmission components (some seals are very sensitive to oil types, for example). For example, the Volkswagen Toureg etc guys are starting to discover the importance of using the OEM engine oil.

I find it strange that on this particular item only on the Patrol, Nissan prescribe a "Nissan only" product while for the other lubricants they only give a specification. That in itself should tell one something.

Your call but I do not think it is worth trying to save a few dollars on this item.
IR_Eddie

Post by IR_Eddie »

Price isnt the problem . the Problem is to get the stuff. Nissan wants me to bring the patrol in and they will fill it. Apparently they supplied the wrong oil previously to someone else and it caused groot kak. Also obviously the reason for no dipstick :rolling:

They eventually phoned back now to say that they will supply it to me - but they need to confirm and get back to me again that the Matic J is the correct one - Really??? getting a bit interesting now.

Anyway cost does not defer to much- in actual fact matic j is cheaper. Ravenol = R221/l & Matic J = R214/l. They can supply me with a 16l can or i need take my own container and tap of the 12l i need. now im just waiting for them to confirm that i am going to buy the correct oil
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

IR_Eddie wrote:Price isnt the problem . the Problem is to get the stuff. Nissan wants me to bring the patrol in and they will fill it. Apparently they supplied the wrong oil previously to someone else and it caused groot kak. Also obviously the reason for no dipstick :rolling:

They eventually phoned back now to say that they will supply it to me - but they need to confirm and get back to me again that the Matic J is the correct one - Really??? getting a bit interesting now.

Anyway cost does not defer to much- in actual fact matic j is cheaper. Ravenol = R221/l & Matic J = R214/l. They can supply me with a 16l can or i need take my own container and tap of the 12l i need. now im just waiting for them to confirm that i am going to buy the correct oil
Rather get Matic J as its what the box was engineered to run on and it's the only oil that you are told by Nissan Japan to use. I unfortunately don't hold much faith in Nissan SA technical knowledge of the patrol.

Which Nissan branch are you going through if you mind me asking? I got the Matic J from Sean at DTM 021 854 5147 as they were the only Nissan dealer to have stock of it in CapeTown.

Out of intrest I was told by the Parts department at Nissan Milnerton that there was a new technical bulletin on changing the transmission oil and that they had to use a full 20l drum to replace the oil? They said they needed to drain all the old oil then refill it with new oil and then drain it again and refill again with new oil :think: think this is overkill if it's really true?

I know that Graham says that they normally only get get about 6 litres of oil out of the transmission as the rest sits in the torque converter.
IR_Eddie

Post by IR_Eddie »

Yup also bought it from Sean at DTM and he confirmed that they don't normally sell this oil to the public.

Definitely agreeing on the poor technical knowledge for the Patrol part. i had them running around a bit on the topic but they did eventually confirm its the correct oil.

Don't know about using the full 20l as they didn't mention anything. i bought 16l that was left over from a 20l drum. they couldn't confirm the exact quantity needed though. Triangle transmissions did say they will need about 12l and it will be interesting to see how much gets used as they most probably will fill the torque converter as well because they are reconditioning that as well.
IR_Eddie

Post by IR_Eddie »

Oh yes - forgot to mention that i lost a bit of trust in Triangle transmissions with this whole oil thing. Spoke to nissan and they apparently used them about 10 years back as a service provider but stopped the contract with them when they took Renault on board as they don't work on reno.

Mayfair is now officially their national preferred service provider for gearboxes. would be interesting to know what oil they would have proposed to use if they did the box.

Thanks again Noel (NMAD) for spotting this - who knows what could have happened if this slipped by and they used the wrong oil. :clap:
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

What ever you do , just dont ever ever ever take any vehicle of yours to Mayfair gearbox's.... and dont be fooled either, Nissan CT outsource all work to Mayfair....well at least they did previously... so double check who's who and keep track of where its going... i write this from personal experience from hell.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Well lets see what happens .....waiting for you to give us some feedback. ... :salute:

Return to “10. Drivetrain”