Zantus
Full Name: Barto de Koning
Nickname: Zantus
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: '01 4.5 GU & '91 4.2D GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Removing CV from the inner shaft

Post by Zantus »

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the CV from a front inner shaft?

Need to get the CV off to have the shaft ground due to damage on the oil seal area, which has damage a second seal in about 2000km.

I found the video below on youtube, but that method did not work.

Also found the post below on Patrol4x4 of someone saying you should hit the "star" with a 3/8" extension as a drift to pop the snap ring, but even when I rigged it up so I can use a sledge have, it did not budge.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/687745-post3.html
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: Removing CV from the inner shaft

Post by Peter Connan »

Barto, I have never done it on a Patrol, but have done it many times with a Golf.

This can be a bastard.My only advice is to keep turning it, so that you don't keep bashing on the same knuckle. Also, I used to use a 25mm brass punch to avoid damaging the knuckle, but that will absorb some of the energy, so use the shortest, stubbiest punch you can safely get away with.

Good luck.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Zantus
Full Name: Barto de Koning
Nickname: Zantus
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: '01 4.5 GU & '91 4.2D GQ

Re: Removing CV from the inner shaft

Post by Zantus »

Last week I investigated the two damaged seals a bit more closely and found than the hole was "worn" offset, which means the shaft was not sitting in the correct position. My plan was to check the king pin bearing shims and make sure the preload was as prescribed by the workshop manual, and also check the needle roller bearing in the hub....but I was in for a surprise!

When I jacked up the front corner I saw a slight movement as the load was removed from the wheel, but it wasn't actually loose and the knuckle didn't have any play you could feel by hand.

Later, while cleaning the grease off the swivel housing on the axle, the bottom king pin bearing outer race fell out, and I realised it was cracked.

This cracked outer race seems to be the cause of my problem as it allowed movement of the bearing, which put the wheel at a slight angle and that pushed the shaft off-centre at the oil seal, which then allowed the oil to flow past.

Hope new king pin bearings and the correct preload solves my problem.

Return to “10. Drivetrain”