Tjaart
Full Name: Tjaart Janse van Rensburg
Nickname: TJ
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Patrol 4500 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Repacked front wheel bearings

Post by Tjaart »

I repacked the front wheel bearings yesterday.

Not too difficult, as I had a few mechanics to help. Problem is, yes you guessed it, PARTS!! :think: . Where to get what. Luckily my bearings look great are in tip top shape. However, in order to get the bearings out, we had to remove the dust seal that keeps the grease inside the bearing housing, which got a wee bit damaged while removing it.

We noted that the brake pads were shot and so off to look for new ones, but no parts dealer in Pietersburg / Limpopo stocks the generic pad. :fire: . So off to the dealership, and R1150.00 for new Nissan pads. :banghead: . Luckily they had stock...The seals, however, are on order. Those will be R230.00 for the two. So I assembled the whole lot, greased the bearings, replaced the breaks, bled the breaks, and now will have to do the whole thing again once I get the new seals :steamingears: . Should've ordered those before I started, but had no Idea.

So, if you are planning on doing anything on your Patrol, make sure that you have the spares, otherwise it can nasty and a long time that you have to walk in the mountains, while your car is on the trestles, waiting for spares. :oldtimer: .

I must admit, I'll rather wait for small things like break pads and seals, before I have to replace my diffs every 40K or engine every 6 months.. I've learned that if I take care of the Patrol, it will last a long time.

O, and I serviced it same time. Plugs and filter was R290 at Autozone. And I had them drain and refill both diffs, and grease the universals. :woo: .

So all in all, that cost me R1150+290+230+130 for the bearing grease = R1740. The rest was on the house!! It pays to have connections!! :thumbup:

What would I've paid at Nissan for all of this? Any ideas?
THE BRAVE
says
Aut PATROL aut nihil

Aut vincere aut mori
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Re: Repacked front wheel bearings

Post by KOOS BEST »

Tjaart, I expect the bill will be around the R8000.00.at Nissan.
But thats my only gripe owing a Patrol, daar nooit d@nnerse onderdele nie!!!!!!!!!As n Troll breek, of jy het iets nodig , se bv op Vakansie oor Kerstyd , sit jy hoog en droog. Dit is n groot worry.
Enjoy the vehicle, I always say, if you buy a vehicle in good nick, than its easy to keep it there with good maintenance. What you are doing is the right thing to prevent any premature failures.
Koos
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
Tjaart
Full Name: Tjaart Janse van Rensburg
Nickname: TJ
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Patrol 4500 GRX

Post by Tjaart »

Koos

Ja. Ek is bevrees met Nissan SA se houding en housekeeping, is ons redelik op ons eie. Ons moet 'n familie lid in Australie opsaal om ons benodighede oor te stuur!!

Ek wil volgende my viscous fan vervang, en dan die caliper seals doen :confused: . Hoop dit werk uit! ek is mal oor my Patrol!! sal hom vir niks ruil nie. Dalk 'n 4.8, maar 'n handrat. En ek wil al my ekstras hou!! :thumbup:
THE BRAVE
says
Aut PATROL aut nihil

Aut vincere aut mori
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Tjaard said.ek is mal oor my Patrol!! sal hom vir niks ruil nie. Dalk 'n 4.8, maar 'n handrat. En ek wil al my ekstras hou!!

Tjaard,my vrou het vir my gese dit is tyd vir n ander kar vir my,ek moet my patrol verkoop,toe se ek ;"dis reg my vrou"net om weer n patrol te koop!
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Patrol4.8
Full Name: Cornelius Kotze
Nickname: Cor
Home Town: Wellington (Western Cape)
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8

Post by Patrol4.8 »

tour de frans wrote:Tjaard said.ek is mal oor my Patrol!! sal hom vir niks ruil nie. Dalk 'n 4.8, maar 'n handrat. En ek wil al my ekstras hou!!

Tjaard,my vrou het vir my gese dit is tyd vir n ander kar vir my,ek moet my patrol verkoop,toe se ek ;"dis reg my vrou"net om weer n patrol te koop!
Frans
Ja Frans jy is reg, die dag as ek my Patrol verkoop sal ek net weer een koop. :clap:
Cornelius Kotzé
'03 Patrol GRX 4.8 AT
OME 2" lift
33" BFG A/T

Return to “10. Drivetrain”