TD42t EGR+PCV line.

Engines and Engine Systems
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

TD42t EGR+PCV line.

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Hizit guys,

TD42T .

I want to get a consensus on what most chaps are doing regarding the above two points.

- EGR Blank ?
- PCV line Catch Can?
- Clean intercooler ?
- Clean inlet Manifold ?
- Clean all piping post PCV return ?
-Etc

Can we please all post in this thread, concerns, fixes / remedies , cleaning routines / secrets, and anything else associated.

I am a very risk averse person (A-Type Deeeelux),.. so please no "cowboy" hear-say comments, only real-world discussion, and any associated pictures and or improvements would be greatly appreciated.

I'll start by saying that i am aware of how blocked up the intercooler can become (is already no doubt) from oil vapour, how choked up the intake manifold can become (is already no doubt), and how that can affect things like spool up, as well as the EGR even affecting fuel consumption.

What is the next step to determining what is problematic long term, and what is a long term fix.

Cheers
Russ.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: TD42t EGR+PCV line.

Post by Tinus lotz »

Russ dude put pictures fist :oldtimer:
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

I did 300000km with my old turbo motor no catch can and never had problems but i dont think it can hurt to put one . The egr on your srasion wagon is blocked off ( what station wagon havent seen any pics here ) and the solenoid on inlet is not connected....so order a catch can from terrain taimer and you will be styling :mytwocents:
I dont think its necessary but made it makes a difference lets see . :salute:
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Russ, as Tinus said, your EGR system is not working so there is no danger of any exhaust gas getting back into your intake.

Im not stressed at all about the oil vapour going through your intercooler and into the engine. It cant do any damage or brock your intercooler.
I had a TD42ti once with over 500,000km on the clock with a functional EGR and compression was still 30bar on all 6.

Having sait that, there is also nothing wrong with a catch can, if you want it sparkling clean then thats what you need to install :thumbup:
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Re catch cans: My understanding is that one has to be pretty careful with which catch-can and how it is fitted for it to make any difference. A normal catch can will only really catch up oil in the event of a blown engine (which is why they are fitted to racing cars, the intention being just to reduce the amount of oil on the track), or in the event your engine is really very badly worn.

I had a catch can in my petrol engine. Never caught a single drop of oil.

However, a correctly-installed Provent catch can can apparently reduce contamination of the oil. The important thing is that it needs to be fitted in such a way that it creates a vacuum in the cranckase (by tapping vacuum pre-turbo). There is quite a lot of info about this on the Aussie forum, but I haven't seen one locally.
I was thinking of installing one at some point, and then comparing oil analysis at service intervals, but it will be a while before I get around to it (if ever).
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Screenshot_20191025-164055_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20191025-164055_Google.jpg (737.68 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Michael

Post by Michael »

Look, if you have a egr system that is not blanked off and you dont want to remove it, I will recommend a catch can as your intake will look like above pic. Soot + oil vapour = tar

Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Hizit chaps,

Sorry for the belated appreciation post. :lol: Thanks for the comments and info, i've digested it all and will no doubt have some more curve balls for you chaps soon.

For now though, yes, provent have always seemed to be the go-to for a catch-can, as i believe many knock=offs out there are ineffective in their (poor) designs.
Other concerns for me would be how much oil is sitting inside the intercooler, and the inefficiencies that might be creating. Not saying it is, i'm merely pondering its possibilities, because in my mind it would surely have a heavily built residue than accumulates/pools at temperature. Anyway.

My TD42t runs well with no smoking , and about 500ml oil every hard long drive (ie: 1000km) or during normal driving, about 500ml per 2000km. More than my NA TD42 (which basically uses no oil at all, ever) but thats to be expected of course due to the nature of each motor, surely.

Regards
Russ.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Pretty sure washing the intercooler out with thinners should take care of most anything in there, but if the EGR was never connected then there really shouldn't be much in there in tge first place.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Michael

Post by Michael »

One thing to remember, the more boost you run on, the more blow-by you will have (its just physics). So I have seen TD42 engines with 0,4 bar boost with almost zero blow-by and then looking at my engine running 1,4 bar boost with a reasonable blow-by.
My intercooler and boost system will have oil in without a doubt, but its really of no concern to me at all. To just add some color to the picture, I do measure the air temp re intercooler and also on the intake manifold to see how effective the intercooler is. Long story short, pre intercooler at 1,4 bar I see around 180 deg Celcius and post intercooler not more than 55 deg Celcius on the same amount of boost....... This is with oil in my intercooler and boost system.
I have never taken it out or cleaned it in almost 100,000km.

Return to “09. Engines”