Full Name: Sidney Moorcroft
Nickname: Penhoek Patrol
Home Town: Penhoek Farm, Sterkstroom, Eastern Cape
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol, 4.2D Pickup
Home Language: English

TD42 Engine Question

Post by penhoekpatrol »

Morning Chaps.

I have been up a lot about the td42. I run 3 non turbo 4.2's & a 4.2tdi on our farm. Absolutely love them. The one non turbo I personally drive has just short of 300000km & have no intension of handing it down to my staff. I bought it in 2011 with 50000 on the clock. I think it spent a bit of time in Mozambique as it came from Mpumalanga. I think it may have been badly overheated at some point. It has always used a touch of water, over the years but nothing of great concern. It has never ever overheated with me. I tow big loads, 2.5 tons on a regular basis. Has never boiled with me. It will on steep climbs go above 80 degrees, but as the road flattens it quickly comes back to 80, fitted a 2nd aftermarket gauge as the factory one always gets to operating temp & doesn't go any higher. Even if the aftermarket gauge goes over 90 the factory gauge doesn't move. I watch the heat like a hawk & can assure it has never boiled. However the water usage has increased a lot over the last year. Up to 3 litres over 1000kms. The water is definitely getting into the oil. Nissan were scratching their heads & said it had to be the head. Had the head redone & tested by Nissan, no difference. Still eating water. The motor runs beautifully smooth. Even at its mileage it still pulls like a dream. Starts at minus temp mornings just touching the key. Can it be a cracked block? I can get an jap import non turbo for R44000. Thinking of getting one, putting it in then rebuilding this one % putting it the store as I have 4 of these bakkies. Has anybody fitted a td42 cabstar motor to these vehicles. As far as I can see it is the identical motor, turbocharged with no intercooler. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sid.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: TD42 Engine Question

Post by Michael »

Hi Sidney

Sounds like you have a nice fleet of TD42's!

The TD42 in the pickup, UD42, Cabstar or station wagon are all the same with only the internals that differ (turbo vs non turbo), flywheel size (ud40 is larger and wont fit inside your bell housing, not sure about cabstar). The rest is small differences and you can fit them all in your pickup.

Usually if there is oil in the water (but no water in the oil) its the heat exchange unit ( where the oil filters screw on). In some cases it can mix both ways, but usually it pushes oil into the water.
Another area is behind the timing cover. Over many years of no anti freeze the timing cover corrodes where the water needs to run in and out the block behind the water pump and befins to leak water into the oil. I have had one engine with this problem before.

Send me a pm if you are interested in buying a engine, I have a couple of options for you
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
penhoekpatrol
Full Name: Sidney Moorcroft
Nickname: Penhoek Patrol
Home Town: Penhoek Farm, Sterkstroom, Eastern Cape
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol, 4.2D Pickup
Home Language: English

Post by penhoekpatrol »

Hi Michael,

I'll check the timing cover 👍. That is one place I haven't looked. Can I possibly give you a call? Could you send me your number via SMS or WhatsApp, my number is 0724758411. Or penhoek@gmail.com.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Regards.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

No prob

You cqn call me on 082 five 6 double 7 15 six