Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 4.8 fuel consumption

Post by Peter Connan »

Rhet, you are welcome to borrow my GPS.

Oh, also, please quote me on a piece of nylon, 150mm die, 40mm long.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
bruce_k
Full Name: Bruce Killerby
Nickname: Killa
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 3.0 Di to TD42T swapped GL
Home Language: English

Post by bruce_k »

So it has been a while since I updated this thread. I have averaged 24.06l/100km or 4.15km/l over the last 5,274km, which is worse than those being quoted above. The 5,274km is mostly town driving, with a few long distance trips an a couple of off-road trips. I still think that it is a little too heavy, but I do drive it like I stole it every other day and I am running 285/70R17 BFG K01s, which are 1.6" or 5.1% larger in diameter than standard.

So, besides averging 4.15km/l, I downloaded the Nissan Data Scan II app on Play Store and connected it to my OBDII bluetooth adapter. I have one fault code that keeps on returning after being cleared :helpsign: It is P0340, CMP SEN/CIRC-B1 which translates to Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1. That could (according to Dr. Google) be part of my heavier than average fuel consumption :think:

Have any of you guys successfully diagnosed fault code P0340, replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor (from who and at what price) and experienced improved fuel consumption?
Screenshot_2016-11-07-20-24-24.png
Screenshot_2016-11-07-20-24-24.png (177.44 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
Every dog has his day!
2006 Patrol 3.0 Di to TD42T swapped GL

NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

Hi Bruce

Glad you sorted with Nissan data scan :thumbup:

I have not replaced my CPS but I have rotated it when setting the ignition timing to factory spec of 5 BTDC with the timing light.
Dont put anything magnetic close to the CPS as it can be damaged.

Do you have the Nissan workshop manuals? The information you need is on page 377-383 of the EC (engine control system) for the TB48DE AT.

Here is the link for a CPS for sale in Aus http://patrolapart.com.au/product/genui ... ensor-tb48

Not sure what Nissan SA would charge but maybe its just a bad connection etc.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Bruce, if you drive it like you stole it then 4.5 is pretty reasonable.

I feel these cars can be pretty sensitive to a leaden foot.

As an example, my previous place of employment was along a fairly nice route with few stops and little traffic, and i used to average about 4.8.

Now i drive past a big station, thus practically through a big taxi rank. Under these conditions,i have quite an offensive driving style, trying to protect my position. On my last tank, i got somewhere between 4 and 3.5...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Peter Connan wrote:
Now i drive past a big station, thus practically through a big taxi rank. Under these conditions,i have quite an offensive driving style, trying to protect my position. On my last tank, i got somewhere between 4 and 3.5...
Nou voel ek nie meer so sleg oor my 4.5-4.8km/l nie...
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Post by Picasso »

Hi Bruce

Considering your driving stile and driving environment (short drives around town) you consumption figures are not fare of the mark. I have managed similar (i.e 22-23 l/100 km) figures for "in town driving / spiritedly".

I have just done a round-trip in an 4.5 auto over 1600 km over the weekend (mostly Highway)
(driven at moderate speed 110-120 km/h) ; returning a consumption of around 15 l/100km
The same trip in a 4.8 would have given me a consumption of ~ 14 l/100km.

The consumption in these cars can vary significantly depending on driving environment, driving style and vehicle modifications.
:salute:
bruce_k

Post by bruce_k »

NMAD wrote:Hi Bruce

Glad you sorted with Nissan data scan :thumbup:

I have not replaced my CPS but I have rotated it when setting the ignition timing to factory spec of 5 BTDC with the timing light.
Dont put anything magnetic close to the CPS as it can be damaged.

Do you have the Nissan workshop manuals? The information you need is on page 377-383 of the EC (engine control system) for the TB48DE AT.

Here is the link for a CPS for sale in Aus http://patrolapart.com.au/product/genui ... ensor-tb48

Not sure what Nissan SA would charge but maybe its just a bad connection etc.
Hi NMAD

I'm hoping that it's just a connection cleaning type of issue cause that Aussie website has a scary price on a new sensor and I'm sure that Nissan SA will be even worse. I have two workshop manuals. The one is a hardcopy Max Ellery Repair Manual for 1998 -2009 Patrols and the other is a softcopy Nissan Motor Company Service Manual from 2004. The EC section of the softcopy only goes to page 60 so that's not the version that you are referencing and pages 377 to 383 of the Max Ellery relate to Rear Suspension and Steering so clearly I don't have the same manual as you. Would you mind PM'ing or emailing the section to me?

Thanks for the info :salute:
Every dog has his day!

bruce_k

Post by bruce_k »

Peter Connan wrote:Bruce, if you drive it like you stole it then 4.5 is pretty reasonable.

I feel these cars can be pretty sensitive to a leaden foot.

As an example, my previous place of employment was along a fairly nice route with few stops and little traffic, and i used to average about 4.8.

Hi Peter

I have achieved 6km/l on a +-250km trip to Cape St Francis and back at speeds of 100km/h to 110km/h. I think that is the sweet spot for long distance cruising in my 4.8, but the ECU is directing me to the camshaft position sensor so I'll check it out and hopefully in the process gain improve the consumption a little.

Thanks
Every dog has his day!

bruce_k

Post by bruce_k »

Picasso wrote:Hi Bruce

Considering your driving stile and driving environment (short drives around town) you consumption figures are not fare of the mark. I have managed similar (i.e 22-23 l/100 km) figures for "in town driving / spiritedly".

I have just done a round-trip in an 4.5 auto over 1600 km over the weekend (mostly Highway)
(driven at moderate speed 110-120 km/h) ; returning a consumption of around 15 l/100km
The same trip in a 4.8 would have given me a consumption of ~ 14 l/100km.

The consumption in these cars can vary significantly depending on driving environment, driving style and vehicle modifications.
:salute:
Hi Henning

I do agree that my Patrol's fuel consumption is not far from accepted real life norms and my 9km to work in the morning and 9km back in the evening are never going to result in decent consumption figures. The Patrol is in need of a long distance holiday road trip and so am I!

Regards
Every dog has his day!

offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

9km to work and back - get a Scooter :oldtimer: