Full Name: Philip Erasmus
Nickname: Philip
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D
Nissan Patrol 4.2D
Home Language: Afrikaans

1996 Patrol SGL 4.2 D, opinion needed

Post by Philip »

Guys, I am new to this forum. I have bought an old Patrol very recently, have little technical knowlege and would appreciate your advice.
It is a '96 SGL, originally a 4.2 petrol and received a transplant 5 years ago with a 4.2 diesel (TD42, non-turbo). The vehicle is overall in a very good condition, not really used previously as a 4x4 in my opinion, still feels very solid,clutch and gearbox quite smooth and everything still works.......even the electric mirriors. I have some doubt about the diff lock though and still need to test it. It does not use oil thus far, starts very easily.....first swing on a cold,wet morning having stood outside all night, almost no smoking. I really like the feel of this vehicle.
Two issues I would like your opinion on : Firstly, I am surprised on the lack of power uphill. I do not have experience of driving the old generation non-turbo diesels and perhaps I am spoiled by the modern high performance diesels. Example for those who perhaps know Botrivier/Houwhoek pass (reasonably steep) in the Western Cape coming up from Hermanus side, I had to drop to 3rd gear. Do you think this is normal ? I would like to tow my boat with this vehicle. Secondly, she is blowing some oil (not a lot) into the air cleaner via the breather pipe connected from the tappet cover. Is this an indication of the control valve on the tappet cover not working or is there perhaps some hidden damage inside the engine that causes bits of oil to come through this breather pipe in stead of air going the other way ?
Kind regards.
Philip
Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Re: 1996 Patrol SGL 4.2 D, opinion needed

Post by Philip »

Sorry, I forgot to add that she is giving excellent fuel consumption thus far, in the vicinity of 9 km/l, combination open road at 110/115 km/hr with city circuit about 30% of this initial test run.
Stefaansie
Full Name: Andre Vorster
Nickname: André
Home Town: Benoni
Current 4x4: 1996 SGL-D 4.2 Patrol

Post by Stefaansie »

Hi Philip,

First and foremost, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, I think you are a bit rude by telling us here about that Troll of yours. I mean blatantly bragging about that diesel that has not even seen the rough stuff, with your first post. I mean come on!?!? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Seriously, it sounds like you have managed to get one of the more scarce models. A real beauty. Some people here will be absolutly green with envey. You should take some time to just ponder about the truck, a real beast!

I have the same one. It came out without the turbo and is a real donkey. It developes something like 85kw and 260 nm of torque. Realy not something to write home about. But it will outlast many other a vehicle. Good fuel consumption as you mentioned ( the petrol guys get 5km/L it they drive nice). 3rd gear up a hill sounds about right. Also not an ideal towing vehicle, or dune racer.

Mine had a turbo fitted in '98 which will set you back around R45K nowadays, but will transform that beast into a real monster! I get similar though slightly higher fuel consumption, but the power is substantialy more. The dyno indicated 161kw with 469nm of torque.

The longevity and mantenance cost of the diesels might be debateable(?), but in my opinion, that wagon of yours have got the drivetrain of a truck, and is capable of doing extremely high mileage. Some Aussy guys do 800K km between engine overhauls.

The oil onto the aircleaner I can't realy comment on as I don't know too much about the mechanics myself. Hopefully Cedrick or some other diesel fundi can comment.

There is not much else I can say other than congratulations!!!

Keep us posted and please post some pics!!
'96 SGL-D PATROL (GQ)
ECHO 3
'07 SUZUKI BOULEVARD 1800
'06 YAMAHA 700 RAPTOR
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Welcome Phillip

Dungbeetle on this forum has one of those, which has done I think about 470k km and is still on the original clutch. As Andre said, that is probably the most reliable 4x4 in the world, but it's no racecar.

However, they do actually tow fairly well, as long as you are not in too much of a hurry.

Oil in the air cleaner is a result of some blow-by past the rings or valve stem seals. I would just put in a catch can, but not worry about it further at this stage.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

:woo: :woo: .... another 4.2 Diesel !!!! .... welcome fellow diesel fumer... :rolling: :rolling:

That beast is the best investment you could ever have made. Yes, without the "low boost" turbo fitted I can imagine it being a bit of a donkey, but you could drive anywhere without any electronic fears.... cause there isn't any !!! To give you an idea of the robustness of that motor, a few weeks after I bought mine, I did a trip to Botswana and unfortunately burnt a hole through the piston. The cause/reason for this is a whole different story, but I drove my Patrol back from Botswana, 550Km to my home in Alberton...... with a blown engine !!

If you want to, and you will be amazed at the difference, get a turbo fitted. BUT.... get it done at a reputable place. Get a "Madman" monitoring system fitted at the same time. You might still need a little 3rd gear on some steep uphills, as these motors are not meant for speed..... just loads of power. The turbo also gives you the boost you need when overtaking. These old school motors perform completely different to the modern diesel motors.

The oil residue in the inlet is not a major issue, could just be a simple thing like a little wear on the rings. You didn't mention the mileage, so just guestemating.

There is a fellow Patrol guru on here every now and again by the name of Frans ( tour de frans ). He assisted me on the rebuild of my motor via telephone !!! Let me know if you want his contact details and you can always chat to him for ANY technical info. He is in Belville. Not sure how close or far that is from you.

Congrats on owning a beast that MANY people would love to own !!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Philip wrote:Guys, I am new to this forum. I have bought an old Patrol very recently, have little technical knowlege and would appreciate your advice.
It is a '96 SGL, originally a 4.2 petrol and received a transplant 5 years ago with a 4.2 diesel (TD42, non-turbo).
I thought one could not go from Petrol to diesel as the wiring etc is to much to change :helpsign:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

:lol: :lol: .... on the diesel you take out all the wiring, and just put a battery and a piece of wire to the diesel pump..... :rolling: :rolling:
Regards
Cedric
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Phillip,

You have entered into the holy grail of Patrols, the Y60 GQ. I have a 95 model with 393k km on it and still running very well. The driving characteristics you explained is correct. These old diesel where made to last and go anywhere and regularly get to 800 k km with regular maintenance.

To get the diesel a little more responsive and real get a driving difference, look at a turbo and intercooler. In addition a larger diameter exhausts. This can set you back a few g’s but well worth it.. Fuel consumption drops but increase in power is fantastic. One option exists today and that is a system through SAC. They regularly do these and can be done in stages. The other option was the Safari system, but not available for Nissan any more. Baileys have the agency and only do Toyota’s. This system comprised of Garret hybrid water cooled turbo, intercooler and exhaust. Power went from 85 Kw to 145Kw and torque from 285 Nm to 430 Nm. Typically I make around 90 Kw on the wheels with 320 Nm also on the wheels. In addition you will have to fit a Mad Man egt Gauge, and could later opt for a larger radiator.
Feel free to MP me with your number and I will give you a call.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Philip
Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Post by Philip »

Eish, I am glad to have found this site. Exactly what I need. Thank you for the advice and encouragement. Please do not stop, let it come.......the good and the bad !!
I have down graded with the size of the boat a while ago and would give it a try as she is now........and report back. I do not have a serious need for power, just need to get used to it I think. She is not really going to work hard for me. Just a different mindset needed when I board her.................. Must admit those upgrade figures sounds very enticing, but I must also start acting my age now !!??
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Ha ha ha... act your age.... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: ..... not a blarry chance !!!!

If you do keep it standard, or if you fit a turbo, I would still seriously consider fitting a Madman or similar monitoring system. I say this, because you will be towing. When you hit that uphill, that diesel burns hot, you will now with the monitor, see how hot and adjust your driving style to benefit that motor, and believe me when I tell you that that 4.2 is BULLETPROOF !!!, but it feels good to work the motor and know you aren't abusing it. .... just my 2 cents worth. ( its the right step towards acting your age and getting that damn turbo that you know you want..... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: )
Regards
Cedric

Return to “09. Engines”