Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: 99 td42 head cracked

Post by ricster »

If you skimmed the block, you will need to adjust head gasket size according to what you removed. I used a 1.20 mm Head gasket i think not the 1.15mm. But if you use a 1.65mm gasket, then something sounds odd.... is the piston protrusion that high?

I am genuinely concerned about the thickness of that head gasket. I would double check that thickness.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Andre Steyn
Full Name: Steyn
Nickname: Andre
Home Town: Rustenburg
Current 4x4: 99 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.2 Turbo intercooled Station wagon or Nissan patrol 4.2tdi pick up and now wifey's 2007 4.8 grx added to the family
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Andre Steyn »

Cedric your reaction is worrying Jo! Well according to the engineer who's helping me with the job a protrusion of 0.025 -0.03 is fine in his books? So now I'm not sure? He says the thicker head gasket is also better due to the turbo being added. Must admit I've had alot of work done at his shop and he has many years of experience so I hope he knows What he's doing! But after your reaction I'm goods honestly worried! Unless I got a measurement wrong somewhere!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Andre I'm sending you a PM with Frans's number. Give him a call and get his opinion. Like I have said before. He know the TD42 motor backwards, and I recall having the same issues with my sleeves being flush, and a fraction lower even after I opened the motor the second time to replace the crappy non Nissan head. That is why I "piano wired" the block.

I am not knocking the chap that's sorting out your motor, as I don't know if he has worked on the TD42 before. But I trust Frans 110%, and if he said "maak so" .... I did just that... :lol:

I'll send Frans a message to let him know you will call him too. You might battle to get him .... but keep trying.
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn
Current 4x4: 99 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.2 Turbo intercooled Station wagon or Nissan patrol 4.2tdi pick up and now wifey's 2007 4.8 grx added to the family

Post by Andre Steyn »

Thanks cedric I'll give him a ring and hear What he says. Ja thats the whole thing I know the guy who's helping had done alot of td27's But I'm not sure about the 42's!
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

Ok had a long chat with frans, Hell he knows his td42's its amazing! He comfortable with all my specs even the head gasket, the sleeve protrusion should have been there But says he's still comfortable even though it isn't. So new head to be picked up on Thursday in Jhb. So my motor should be turbo'd and running by end next week!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Awesome Andre... Sorry for stressing you out.... but you don't want to open the motor again in a hurry....but now even my mind is at rest!!
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

Its fine I certainly do appreciate your concern and understand why! I honestly don't want to open that motor again soon! Should stay closed for at least another 200k km! Depending of course What effect the turbo will have on the motor life! The motor really is going to be like new when I'm done! Only concern I have now is the proper running in procedure! And overheating! Hopefully frans will get round to that new thermo housing he Spoke of. But I think my massive radiator should keep things cool under normal driving. Staying away from towing anything for at least 15000km!
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

Before I forget I now have a full set of original pistons with gudgeon pins spare if anyone is interested. They're still good all the measurement are in spec and No overheating or fueling damage. Just need new rings.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Good stuff .... The bigger radiator will definitely help, my water temps sit just below half on the dash water temp gauge, even when working the motor it sit on one place. Remember about the radiator antifreeze..... use either Nissan Genuine ( expensive), or Silverton Radiators supply a good one. They should know what they are doing with regards to the chemicals that are in there..... you don't want excessive acid eating up your block and head.

Running in..... hmmm tricky one that....I only did this after about 200 - 300 km, I would and still do let mine warm up with a little idle ( no choke) and if I have to drive, I do it gently till operating tempo is achieved. Then due to the Alfin rings I would drive it "hard" ... but not hard, but not like driving miss Daisy. Give it a little gas when pulling off. but for the first 200-300 Km I did everything gentle.

I must just remind you to do this cause I forgot to and used all 11 official languages, and a bit of sign language too..... when you assemble the oil pump, oil the 2 gears so that when you start the motor the first time it will create a vacuum and suck the oil from your sump. I spent about 3 hours and many calls to Frans to firstly find the problem and then rectify it. Its easier to do it with the motor out than in the Patrol with everything connected.
Regards
Cedric
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

In fact, don't oil the oil pump, grease it. It works much better, because it stays in there for longer and doesn't drain out.

Also use "assembly lube" (I use a Wynns one) on all the bearings and cam/valve bits to protect your engine during that critical first start.

On a petrol engine, I even remove the plugs and crank it untill oil pressure registers on the gauge, but that's not workable on a diesel.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “09. Engines”