Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Intercooler

Post by Kagiso II »

On Boezman I had the front mounted I/C .. and never a moment's regret for having it front mounted.
ONLY real bitch that bothered was when going through MUDDY slush water -- it clogged the vents and getting them clean was a mother of a FUP --
But then, I just never did the muddy slush again .. In overlanding the rivers we cross the water is clean and one does not have this problem.

If again i get to choose [like on the Hard Body 3.0 Di .. I would again choose front mounted
Last edited by Kagiso II on 17 Oct 2013 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

Dankie Oom Mac,

I picked up my troll from Gerhard and was looking at moving intercooler to give more space in front. His comments and I tend to agree is that the engine bay of a 4.2 turbo diesel get very hot and heat soak is a problem. With the top mounted cooler the chances of getting an efficient cooling is less likely than a front mounted cooler as there is no heat soak on front mount.

After our trip from Bots and the long road home, I opened the trolls bonnet and could not touch the bonnet holder (piece of steel that keeps the bonnet up when open) If that piece of steel get that hot, I cannot see the top mounted intercooler doing much. My opinion so please reply if you have something to add.
:mytwocents: :mytwocents: :mytwocents: :mytwocents:
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

I have long been concerned about the reduction in cooling experienced as more and more things are placed in front of the radiator, making the air that reaches the radiator much hotter, and also to some extent reducing the amount of air that actually reaches the radiator (the more obstructions, the more air will flow either over the bonnet or under the car, but this will be a slight amount).

On the other hand, I agree that heat soak is already a large problem, and particularly in slow hard-working 4x4 situations.

Personally I have been very tempted to find a new location for the A/C condensor, somewhat like Pieter did with his (under the car), which would reduce the heat load on the radiator significantly.

However, you can't do this with an intercooler, as the piping would be far too long. But now are are also adding the additional heat load of a oil cooler in there somewhere...

I would be very inclined to go top-mount over the exhaust manifold, putting additional heat shields between and adding a large fan which can be manually switched on at low speeds, or even going very radical and mounting the whole intercooler effectively above and outside the bonnet vertically (IE in the same orientation as a front-mounted IC), with a scoop forcing air through it, such that the outlet air exits above the bonnet, toward the windscreen :mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Mounting a fan on top of a top-mounted intercooler helps with the cooling at low speeds
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

On mine the fan is mounted underneath the IC, which is top mounted. The previous owner also had the whole IC ceramic coated.... looks like crap but I'm sure it assists in keeping the heat soak down. I do however need to add heat shields as mine has exhaust branches and a shield is going to be a tricky thing to make fit as my turbo sits quite high up in the engine bay.

This is an old photo of the engine bay the day I brought the Iron Maiden home. That horrible red piping has since been changed to a shorter and more curvy air inlet pipe to get rid of those sharp 90 deg + bends.
18072010632.jpg
18072010632.jpg (338.72 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Tony
Full Name: Antonio Barone
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Greyton - W/Cape
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Tony »

I've just taken my 'Troll back to RGM to bleed the clutch as there has been some slight juddering feedback on the pedal since they replaced the clutch and they are also putting better connections on the alternator after a wire dropped off the connector.... and guess what ?? They now picked up a leak on my intercooler! I always noticed a little oil dribble off the underside of the one corner, and this always caused the starter motor underneath to be permanently coated in an oily film. The question now is - can we repair, or do I replace with OEM, or should I remanufacture a new one. I am also getting concerned, as I am doing a trip down to the Cape in 12 days time and I don't want to go immediately after fitting new parts - remember last year my drama with the alternator over the Easter weekend!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Hey Tony ....imho its a pice of aluminium. ....weld the hole shut or take it to a radiator place that does it every day....speak to Driko after your trip and do the upgrade. ...or hear who still has their oem cooler after the upgrade .....fit that in the mean time
Tony
Full Name: Antonio Barone
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Greyton - W/Cape
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Tony »

Thanks Tinus, will do.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Tony - if it is a FIELD REPAIR up in Africa -- the Q-Bond should do the trick but this is "at home" -
Too many variables on the I C - me thinks, give SAC Centurion a tinkle - speak to GERHARD and get hands-on advice.

Truth be told - the 3.0 wil LOVE luvvvvvvvvvv a bigger I C [Grootseun Driko style]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

The OEM inter-cooler was about 2.5 times the price that I paid for Driko's complete kit. My inter-cooler was declared U/S (Serviceable) by the radiator repair guys I sent it to

Return to “09. Engines”