dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Looking at the 4.5 maths for fuel vs Tdi

Post by dieselfan »

SRX how do the 4.2's handle dunes or what are their weaknesses?
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Stefan »

For dunes you need power and speed, but not a lot of torque, a NA Diesel has the latter, but not the first two.
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

@Stefan: To me it's acceleration and power that are needed for the dunes, you need to get to a high speed to build up enough momentum to carry you over in a short distance. If you have a long enough run up you can get enough speed in pretty much any vehicle. I agree with your point in general though, but it depends entirely on the N/A diesel you are comparing. My N/A 4.2 has the same power as the current turbo diesel Defender and feels like it has more pull when you compare the two back to back. That's simply due to the larger engine capacity though...so it's not really a fair comparison (although it's what the original poster was asking about initially). oh...btw...Did you ever build that roof rack?

@Dieselfan: If you want a toy to jump dunes then get a petrol engine. I've never have any issues in the Atlantis dunes...except in the most extreme cases where only a tricked out V8 Disco got up, but driving a diesel in the dunes (whether it's a turbo or N/A) just feels like engine abuse to me. Diesels are not designed for out of the box acceleration. A series 1 Disco with a V8 is a great dune toy!!! Man that thing is fun to hammer around the dunes. My personal tastes are for touring or the more technical rock climbing routes....this is where the diesel shines (and where having the hand throttle is awesome!!!). If OB-1 had asked for a vehicle to jump dunes with then I would suggest a petrol engine, but he was more concerned with long term running costs...that's why I suggested the TD42. All this being said...Ross's turboed TD42 has no issues with dunes or anything for that matter. It hauls ass....even though it's moderately turboed (120kw and 400NM).
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
OB1
Full Name: Obus Venter
Nickname: OB1
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top

Post by OB1 »

Thanks for input all.

I think I am sticking with Diesel for now. Grew up with them know them well. And my applicationw will be the odd dune or so, but mostly holiday overlanding.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

ob1 there are not a lot of patrol repair experts around because in general they do not break . there are guys on this forum that can help like frans in the cape graham in pta and nissan all over .read the reply that hein put on def. vs patrol it sounds like u r looking for proper overlander in petrol or diesel? that you must decide just start with a spacious capable machine and keep it simple . the patrol does not change its engine every now and then because it works !and keeps on working . my 4.8 does ave of 5.4 kml and i will not change it for any other one !!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “09. Engines”