OB1
Full Name: Obus Venter
Nickname: OB1
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Looking at the 4.5 maths for fuel vs Tdi

Post by OB1 »

So it boils down to who are you going to give yout money. In the case of the Diesel it goes to the manufacturer of the parts, making a profit and looking after families. Or to the earth quake victims.

Or are you going to give it to some oil magnate sheik or something that will probably buy another SLR AMG and have it plated with white gold, just because he can

:think:
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

OB1 wrote:So it boils down to who are you going to give yout money. In the case of the Diesel it goes to the manufacturer of the parts, making a profit and looking after families. Or to the earth quake victims.

Or are you going to give it to some oil magnate sheik or something that will probably buy another SLR AMG and have it plated with white gold, just because he can

:think:
What parts for the TD42 diesel?? The TD42 is pretty bulletproof unless it's heavily turboed and driven too hard....the "handgrenade" is a whole other kettle of fish though.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

It would have been very nice to have fuel as only cost driving any vehicle. Unfortunately driving per kilometer costs a bucket full of money as we know. I am aware of costing excersises between petrol- and diesel vehicles of the same brand that shows the break-even point for a 3.0D compared to their heavier petrol brothers is only reached at 200k kilos...with no major breakdowns along the way AND services done with the dealers.

Therefore, DIY maintenace can have a positive effect in favour of the diesel BUT a major breakdown can ruin the mathematics again...severerly. If any person can take complete control over these two factors, diesel should be cheaper than petrol. My experience tells me that, does not matter how well I maintained all my pervious turbo diesels, very few of the seven turbo diesel vehicles I owned reached high milage without a major breakdown.

Going into Africa is another story as far as poor diesel quality is concerned...and at that point I made my choice.
Patrol fan!
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by dieselfan »

JG if I understand correctly by < 200k diesel is cheaper >200k petrol? Must say I tried just as hard to find a clean 80/100 lc. :rolleyes: rare.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Sitting on my hands :rolleyes:
OB1

Post by OB1 »

SRXy wrote: What parts for the TD42 diesel?? The TD42 is pretty bulletproof unless it's heavily turboed and driven too hard....the "handgrenade" is a whole other kettle of fish though.

Sure but what is the consumption on the 4.2? and the NA motor's service interval is not far, filling that block with oil is a thirsty buisness.

My comment was made with a small Tdiesel in mind, I would love to know what the math is on a TD42 N/A

There are few on the market, one with like 400k km on it for R120k. Finding myself thinking why not buy and save so long for the replacement motor. Sure to overhaul an N/A diesel is cheaper that a small Tdiesel?
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Stefan wrote:Sitting on my hands :rolleyes:

Just a discussion please dont sit on your hands :biggrin:
SRXy

Post by SRXy »

OB1 wrote:
SRXy wrote: What parts for the TD42 diesel?? The TD42 is pretty bulletproof unless it's heavily turboed and driven too hard....the "handgrenade" is a whole other kettle of fish though.

Sure but what is the consumption on the 4.2? and the NA motor's service interval is not far, filling that block with oil is a thirsty buisness.

My comment was made with a small Tdiesel in mind, I would love to know what the math is on a TD42 N/A

There are few on the market, one with like 400k km on it for R120k. Finding myself thinking why not buy and save so long for the replacement motor. Sure to overhaul an N/A diesel is cheaper that a small Tdiesel?
Ahh...seems we had a bit of a disconnect....All my posts in this thread have been about the N/A TD42...not the turbo. The service interval is 10,000km's for the 4.2 diesel patrol (TD42 engine)with a 10L oil change and as I mentioned has gear driven cams. I change at 5000km's because it sits for long periods between drives. With two long range tanks and the standard tank you are looking at a range of 1,400km's or so fully loaded (for a month or so away from home) . That's plenty far at a stretch and something none of the petrol vehicles have a hope of achieving.

Around town I average ~7.7km/l (13l/100km's) with my 33' M/T's on and 8-ishkm/l (~12l/100km's) with my 32' A/T's. On the open road fully loaded and 33' M/T's I get ~7km/l (14l/100km's) .....I don't think that's bad for such a huge vehicle!Ross gets something similar with his TD42 mildly Turbo-ed engine too...

In N/A form the TD42's seem capable of clocking over 800,000km's if the patrol's on the Aussie site are anything to go by. If a stock TD42 has been turboed, it's another story and reliability seems to be quite erratic and dependent on the right foot of the previous owner/competency of the person who did the conversion and tune.

OB1

Post by OB1 »

Thanks SRXy

Any indication on how much the oil cost for each change?

Thanks
SRXy

Post by SRXy »

That depends entirely on what oil you use....I use Delo-400 and GUD filters and my last oil change was R480. If you use Castrol GTX (Diesel) and FRAM filters it will probably be R100 cheaper.

Return to “09. Engines”