Bullbar causes overheating?

Engines and Engine Systems
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Re: Bullbar causes overheating?

Post by IanT »

You mean like this??
IMG_0556.JPG
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Bullbar causes overheating?

Post by ricster »

The objective of all the mats etc is to create as much negative pressure inside the engine bay as possible. On my Patrol before I fitted Peter Connans bash plate, there was a plastic deflector that sat basically under the radiator and it acted like an aerofoil of a planes wing. this extra negative pressure helps to "suck" outside air in through the radiator and all the stuff in front of it, allowing the viscous fan to ensure higher volumes of air is moved trough and out the engine bay. In other words the hot air moves to the firewall and then drops down and under the car chassis.

I had to remove the plastic deflector plate when I fitted Peter's bash plate. However, on mine it does a similar function even though there are slits in it. Due to the size of the bash plate it still creates the same effect as the plastic deflector plate.
I have even considered blocking some of the slits to create more wind resistance to create even more negative pressure in the engine bay, but I need to replace the side "mats" on my engine bay too, so it would be pointless on mine at the moment.

However having said this, I wonder if the guys having water overheating problems have looked at this as a solution. Bearing in mind the positioning of the deflector (or Peter's bash plate) needs to be fitted in such a way as to multi task both protecting the necessary, and being able to defect sufficient air
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “09. Engines”