Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Bullbar causes overheating?

Post by dieselfan »

Hi there

I was reading up on bullbars on some OZ forums and the guys hint and poorly designed bullbars from ARB, TJM etc as a potential cause for the hand grenade issue. Looking at the bullbars for the pathfinder I tend to agree with them - bad airflow design.

How many of the guys who have had issues with the 3.0 had an aftermarket bullbar?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Bullbar causes overheating?

Post by Peter Connan »

Dieselfan you certainly make a valid point, but remember that the handgrenade symdrome is not normally actually connected to engine water temperatures.

The piston crown is not directly cooled by the water cooling system, and the problem occurs without high water temperatures being present. If you have something disrupting airflow at the intercooler, this might contribute, but I doubt many bullbars really make much of a difference to airflow at the intercooler intake on the bonnet?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by dieselfan »

Hi Peter

Check this site www.nissan.com.au goto pathfinder - > accessories - > bullbar, see around the number plate, the grill? directly behind that is the intercooler. All the bars I've seen block off a large % of the intercooler, surely this would increase the charge temperatures.

A year or so ago we had a big 800kw engine, sadly it was only producing 380kw we increased the airflow to the intercooler by about 30% and built ducting to direct airflow, we tested the engine to over 1000kw. The initial inlet charge temp would cause the engine to cut out at 90C, now at 1000kw it sits at 70c and water temps around 81C.

So how many of the guys with the diesels have bullbars?
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

I agree with Peter. Yes, an aftermarket bullbar can surely contribute to reduced airflow, however I think it will be unfair to generalize. Only a proper test will determine to what extend a particular bullbar reduces airflow. Futhermore, if aftermarket bullbars are responsible for the 3.0Di grenade syndrome, why is it not responsible for the same problems in the 4.2, 4.5 and 4.8.....and for that matter in the Toyota Cruisers?
Patrol fan!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Dieselfan remember that the intercooler on the 3l Patrol sits on top of the engine and is fed air only through the bonnet scoop, it does not sit at the front of the car with the other radiators.

Cheers
Peter
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Maybe the top part of the bulbar deflect the air flow over the intercooler-scoop!
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

Maybe it is not just the bull bar but the winch and the extra spot lights also hampering air to the radiator.
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Hi All,

I would like to add my :mytwocents: as well.

For dieselfan's info I used to have a 3.0lt DI that also went boom!!!! I then did a 4.2 turbo diesel conversion - all factory specd. And yes I do have an aftermarket bullbar on my vehicle with two spotlights and a winchbox in between slap bang in front of the grill.

As you all will remember I also experienced an overheating problem after my conversion (dieselfan which I never ever had with the 3.0Lt diesel) - and I conducted several tests to investigate the cause and possible solutions to it. Well in the end I did all of the following alterations to improve the airflow to the extend where I have not yet experienced any overheating problems.

I started by moving the winch control box to the underside of the bumper. This already made a slight improvement but did not stop it completely.
I then removed the radiator and had it properly cleaned at Silverton radiators. Still not the required results I was looking for.
I then added an extra 25 row oilcooler which definately made a hug difference but still I was not satisfied that it completely overcame the problem.
I then moved my aircon condenser to the underside of my Patrol - this solved my issues completely with overheating and put a stop to it.

Dieselfan if you are interested you can read up on my alterations here http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=40

As a further enhancement for better hot airflow out of the engine bay I will be adding two air vents (Opel Astra type vents) on top of the bonnet soon - the vents have been ordered and will then be fitted more or less on the left and right sides of the intercooler. I will be doing this purely as a pro-active measure to prevent overheating as I am changing to an off road caravan which is standard a much heavier item to tow than the off road trailor.

I will post pic's once the job has been done.

For what its worth my :mytwocents: on dieselfan's statement.

Regards
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Pieter,en as ek kan bylas.Die waterpomp pully en ander fan blade wat n baie groot verskil op my 4.2 gemaak het.
Ek wil net noem vir wat dit werd is oor die thread.
The pully and fan made a huge diierance but did not slove the problem.Pieter has the same fan and pully on his engine,and he did all the other that fixed his overheating.Rather it's not overheating it's running hot.
Cheers
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
davejones
Full Name: David Jones
Nickname: David
Home Town: Lagos, Nigeria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.2D GL

Post by davejones »

On all my longer trips, when fully loaded and on a hot day, if i steam up to a hill, i will manage egt's below 600deg but inevitably engine temp will rise, even with egts of 500deg.

I think this is nature of the 4.2 diesel engine whether with bullbar and front end kit (which i have) or not, turbo or not. I think you go through steps like Pieter and you dont see changes then yes you can start to worry!

Interestingly through, i went to see Alpine Developments shortly before eater holidays. The owner (i always forget his name) did mention that on the land cruiser air restriction from a bullbar is a real problem (he did not say what series and i did not ask), although ive never seen reference to this on the landcruiserclub forum.
1998 Nissan Patrol GL (GU / Y61 - TD42, with turbo)
An ox, but with balls !!!

Return to “09. Engines”