Anyone here turbo'ed a TD42?

Engines and Engine Systems
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Re: Anyone here turbo'ed a TD42?

Post by tour de frans »

Ratau,Sorry ek het so lank gevat om te antwoord.Ek gaan ook engels try vir die manne oor die water.
After I have posted a thread about my homemade turbo,I have ran into some trouble.I have done research about it ,built it and fit it.The manifold is a sqare tubbing with short steampipe headers and lose 20mm flanges.The stud holes is bigger to allow for expantion.There is no intercooler for now,I can not make up my mind if it must go on top off the enjine or in the front.I have built a bigger radiator that is the width off the car,from headlight to headlight.The steering cooler and aircon sits on the std place.(I will post photos when I learn how to)The turbo is KKK k27 and the fuel pump's std only fitted with a actuator.The car pull very strong,and that is where my trouble started.The clutch can not keep up,ones on the boost the clutch brake away.So I was suppose to dyno at Kosie Swanepoel Tuesday,to see the power for the first time.I have pulled the box and is building a stronger clutch.With input from Dennis Maytom I am building a doubble diafram pressure plate and solid centre clutch plate.Dennis has done it and worn the t-shirt.(thanks Dennis)
The boost some may say it is high,is 1.5 bar and the EGT sits at 600deg.Anyway my english is up now,I will post as soon when my Patrol is running.Should be after the weekend.
Rdgs
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Ratau
Full Name: Danie Terblanche
Nickname: Danie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel / DIY Turbo Conversion.
1982 Chevrolet K5 Blazer 6.2 V8-Diesel
485 Nm@1300Rpm NA
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Ratau »

Frans

It sounds great. Do you have the KKK turbo’s turbine and compressor sizes” The turbo from the new Ford F250 should also work fine in this application as the engines are the same size and this turbo is small, boost is 6-7 psi at ± 1500 rpm. Boost should not exeed10 psi.
Danie

Live while you’re alive!
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

Hi Weskus_surfer,

My 96 ST4.2 has a Safari Turbo & Intercooler fitted. This was done at 30 000km, and at 335 000 km the trol is still going like a dream. The Aus site quotes figures of 145 KW and 450 Nm. The coversion was done by SAC's and all we have done to the motor scince is fit two sets of injectors and recon the turbo once.

On the last dyno run at SAC's we got 82kW and 334 Nm on the wheels. Driving at 100 km/hr to 110 km/hr I get 7.8 km/lt. Towing my Safari trailer I get 6.5 to 6.8 Km/l. The boost is set at .7 bar and their is losts of oompf when needed.

Regards

Grant

96 ST4.2D Turbo Intercooled.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
weskus_surfer

Post by weskus_surfer »

Grant you've definitely put your fair share of km's on that Patrol of yours. I intend doing the same for a long time to come.
GQ Patrol, 4.2D
Ratau
Full Name: Danie Terblanche
Nickname: Danie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel / DIY Turbo Conversion.
1982 Chevrolet K5 Blazer 6.2 V8-Diesel
485 Nm@1300Rpm NA
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Ratau »

Grant

I got a dyno report that was done by SAC early 2008 on my Patrol by the previous owner showing 57 Kw on the wheels. I phoned SAC end I was told that is standard.

Is the air cleaner still the stock version?

Could you please post some :gotpics: of the setup?
Danie

Live while you’re alive!
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

I'm going to be turbo-ing The Wee Beasty (350,000km's) in the near future. I managed to pick up a Safari Turbo Kit (front mounted intercooler and Garret GT35 tubo), but it's missing the manifold (because the guy who sold it didn't want to strip it off his vehicle). He basically melted his pistons because he was running 0.9 bar boost on a 1999 TD42, which I think should serve as a lesson for the rest of us. He said he suffered from over-heating issues (when a turboed TD42 gets so hot it starts increasing the block temperature you know you're in trouble). Usually the damage is done way before that happens...so an EGT is a must!! Especially for when it's heavily loaded of towing.

As Ross said, it seems to make no diff to fuel consumption if it's mildly turboed like his is (0.3 to 0.4 bar boost)

I'm glad to see Dennis finally found someone who was willing to give him money for that pump he had....lol...he had been trying to flog it of for a while! It was a very good pump though...just too pricey for me.

Where are you based WesKus?
weskus_surfer

Post by weskus_surfer »

Howzit SRXy,

Wee Beasty is looking good since you bought it. I stay in Sea Point but I spend roughly 2 weeks a month elsewhere. I was offered a 2nd hand turbo a while back, also sans manifold. Did you have the turbo checked out before buying it?
GQ Patrol, 4.2D
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

weskus_surfer wrote:Howzit SRXy,

Wee Beasty is looking good since you bought it. I stay in Sea Point but I spend roughly 2 weeks a month elsewhere. I was offered a 2nd hand turbo a while back, also sans manifold. Did you have the turbo checked out before buying it?
Hey man,

Thanks! I've spent quite a few bob on The Wee Beasty to get him into proper Overlanding condition. Not really much besides turbo (and maybe far in the future a front locker).

Yeah I think it was from the same dude upcountry....he clearly overboosted his poor truck and killed it. I made a deal with him to send it down to me to be checked out before I give him any cash. I took it to Turbo Exchange and had them give it a good once over. The bearing was knackered and there was some wear on the turbine. The owner of Turbo Exchange raved about how awesome and rare these GT35's are....so I paid the seller R1500 for the turbo,the intercooler and various pipes and got them to replace the turbine and bearings (they also dressed the turbine that was in there so I have a workable spare). Total cost for the work was R3500...not bad for a R15k turbo...lol.
Last edited by SRXy on 15 Jun 2009 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

Grant

I got a dyno report that was done by SAC early 2008 on my Patrol by the previous owner showing 57 Kw on the wheels. I phoned SAC end I was told that is standard.

Is the air cleaner still the stock version?

Hi Ratau,

Yes, air cleaner is stock. I will take some pics of the trol tomorow and post then. I will include pics of the turbo & intercooler.

Regards

Grant
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+