Unichip and Freeflow

Engines and Engine Systems
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Re: Unichip and Freeflow

Post by G-MAN »

It's sad that most tuners always have a way of showing you awesome results! :thumbdown:
Very few honest ones out there... just hope and pray you get these ones. :pray:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
arnoldh
Full Name: Arnold Human
Nickname: Arnold
Home Town: Upington
Current 4x4: 2011 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by arnoldh »

Vaatjie wrote:This is only my experience. I run currently only a free flow with no chip on my 4.8GL. Get better fuel consumption and lots of extra torque at low refs.

The free flow will give you the best result. Don’t kill me now. Stay away from chipping. Kosie will only take your money. Had my 2.7i chipped (dry run on Patrol 4.8GL to install the chip) and watched the whole process. First dry run was done with lights and aircon on. Obviously got a bad kw figures because these items take away same of the kw. Installed the chip and did a lot of running and tuning. Final run was done without the lights and aircon on and the guy that was helping him, put on a glove and stopped the wiscus fan from running. The figures were great compared to the first run. Paid Kosie and off I went. I was very disappointed. My fuel consumption went done to 5.5km/l. No real deference in performance.
Plug out the chip and install the bridge plug and my fuel consumption went up to 6.9-7km/l. Took it back twice to rectify the tuning but just sent my blood pressure though the roof. Maybe if Frans do it, it might make a difference. Be warned, my brother in-law with his 4.5 EFI Toy had the same experience.
Thanks Vaatjie

this helps a lot. :helpsign: I am also not sure about the chipping?. It seems to work better on underperforming diesels and not on high performance petrols?
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

The chipping generally works well for forced injection car. The chip raises the factory boost or bleed-off (to full boost). Easy power. But very few owners keep their cars for 3-400 000km so no-one complains about the decreased engine life
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

After reading Tour de Frans's great recommendations for freeflows on the 4.5 and 4.8 I popped in by Roddy (Powerflow) in Bellville for a chat and quotation on a full freeflow system. I confronted him with questions about bottom end torque and the diameter of the front pipe. He asked me to put the 4.8 on the lift as he wants to check out the OE system on the car. His recommendation was to only replace the suitcase (big exhaust box) with a freeflow and keep the rest as is! Apparantly Nissan upgraded the header/downpipe section at some stage and he wouldn't change anything on the rest of the system as the pipe diameters etc. is already optimal and s/steel! :thumbup:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

Post by Chris Skinner »

David, sounds interesting, if you do the mod, let us know how it pans out.
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

For interest's sake, the 4.5's rear standard silencer box (the little one by the left hand rear wheel) is a free flow box already. I wonder if the 4.8 is the same? (I assume it is).
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

Yes on the 4.8 both small boxes on either side of the suitcase is also already freeflow :salute: I will keep everybody informed when I get around to do it :thumbup:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
vanhack
Full Name: Siddharth Patel
Nickname: Sid
Home Town: Dubai, UAE
Current 4x4: Y61 LWB Patrol TB48E, Auto

Post by vanhack »

David wrote:After reading Tour de Frans's great recommendations for freeflows on the 4.5 and 4.8 I popped in by Roddy (Powerflow) in Bellville for a chat and quotation on a full freeflow system. I confronted him with questions about bottom end torque and the diameter of the front pipe. He asked me to put the 4.8 on the lift as he wants to check out the OE system on the car. His recommendation was to only replace the suitcase (big exhaust box) with a freeflow and keep the rest as is! Apparantly Nissan upgraded the header/downpipe section at some stage and he wouldn't change anything on the rest of the system as the pipe diameters etc. is already optimal and s/steel! :thumbup:
Hi just bringing this back up, I am interested to bettering my fuel economy, as Unichip is not that great, but a freeflow is, I would like to compare the exhausts that we have here in the Middle East with the ones that you have. I would like to know this, so that I can find a middle section exhaust that is close to what is recommended by powerflow here, and not change the entire exhaust. I also don't want to increase any noise than what it is already....but I am not sure if that can be done to achieve better fuel economy or not.

Kindly let me know if your part numbers for the exhaust are the same for the following; part numbers taken from here;
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine ... uid=322732

1st section past Exhaust manifold 20020VC33B or 20020VC33A or 20020VC38B
Muffler, what I believe is the suitcase, 20100VC20D or 20100VC20B
Rear Section, what Nissan calls "post" 20350VC80A or 20350VC800
Y61 LWB Patrol TB48E, Auto
Distributor for www.quickpitchgcc.com in Middle East & India
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Hey over here we build 95% of the exhaust only standard over the counter.... :salute:
vanhack
Full Name: Siddharth Patel
Nickname: Sid
Home Town: Dubai, UAE
Current 4x4: Y61 LWB Patrol TB48E, Auto

Post by vanhack »

Tinus, so the custom exhaust is 95% of the oriGina in terms of sound??
Y61 LWB Patrol TB48E, Auto
Distributor for www.quickpitchgcc.com in Middle East & India

Return to “09. Engines”