My Patrol Warranty.....I'm nervous, please advise me.

Showcase your baby
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

My Patrol Warranty.....I'm nervous, please advise me.

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Hi guys

Let me run something by you, and let me know your thoughts.

I recenlty bought my 2007 patrol pick up 4.2D with 85 000km on the clock :woo: . The vehicle was an ex demo and was sold by nissan (Bethlehem FS) to the owner before me at 30 000km. He continued to service the vehicle as per warranty conditions and servicing instructions ie:7500km intervals, and the book was stamped as such. :salute:

This continued up till 60 000k. from that date on he was advised by his dealer (Dicky Roux) that he need only service the vehicle every 15 000km, on the grounds that they had all received a stating that NSA had extended the service intervals on there diesel models except the 2.7D and that the 7 500 km "intermediate" service was only for severe conditions , and that owners could just purchase the filters and do the service himself, as they were not major.

The 67 500km service is subsequently not stamped. the 75 000k is stamped. then the 82 500 not.

I purchased the vehicle at this stage (unaware of such goings on in the book) as was assured by the dealership he was dealing with that the vehicle had a Full service history, and, an extended warranty till 18th oct 2012.

on receiving my book i was horrified to see missing stamps and got in touch with all parties concerned. The dealership chap said its definately every 15000km and i have that in an email from him!

I showed concern so he said to send my book and he'll just stamp it for me? i was confused but did so, knowing that the job cards are obviously digital and on a computer network.?

I recieved a call from the dealership two days later from a chap (Willie Ries) who has replaced my contact there (apparently my contact person there has left the company!!!). I was relieved that he had received my books though and he asked what the problem was. i told him and he said he'd get back to me.

I got a call from him a day or so later and he said the service intervals for my truck were definately 15000km. ???

I asked both these chaps over the course of this time to send me some literature on a Nissan Letter head but they always say they waiting for something from NSA. ???

I booked my Patrol in for its 90 000km service in Port Elizabeth (the terrible details of which can be found elsewhere on this forum) , and collected the vehicle the same day. On collection i requested to talk to someone who could shed some light on the service interval situation and the state of my warranty now. I spoke to the Service Manager Colin D Sanderson (a very nice chap actually and incredibly helpfull) , and he said: The service intervals are 15000km apart unless under severe driving conditions. My invoice stated: "Next service due 105 000km."

I had a problem with this and we took it to his office for a sit- down.

i took my laptop in with me and showed him that, yes, the bulletin i downloaded says 15000 km for YD and ZD models (which includes Patrols) , but only the 3L TD not so???

He looked stunned and got on the speaker phone and spoke to all the big boys, still alot of unsure results.

He finally found some spreadsheet which seemed pretty recent ,that matched that of my warranty book and service book "every 7500km" . Yet he would never had looked at this if i had not pushed so hard for the information. His own service dept had instructed me to service my vehicle as per invoice 15000km later???

He quickly told his secretary to change my invoice to "next service due 97500km" . But, i kept my original invoice as proof that no one actually knows that the interval is 7500km and have all been advising owners to service every 15000km.

So....What happens now, when my gearbox packs up or something, and i need to claim on my warranty, is it still valid? Are they to blame for the two missing services? how will this affect my extended warranty through nissan but underwritten by "innovations group" ? Will nissan replace my gearbox or diff or motor should something fail.

I asked him and his answer was this: The two services defaulted are small filter changes, and, that the gearbox etc would not have been checked anyway , so he sees no reason why they wouldnt honour the warranty. but he also said. Nissan only ask to see the service records 50% of the time, so you'll probably be fine. (this is not good enough for me as i dont gamble on anything)

He went on to say that he would certainly fight my case if need be as he has understood now how the previous owner has been ill advised, and how i was too, untill i brought it to his attention.

I'm really worried about this. :think:

whats your thoughts on the matter?

Russ
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
weskus_surfer

Re: My Patrol Warranty.....I'm nervous, please advise me.

Post by weskus_surfer »

The dealership chap said its definately every 15000km and i have that in an email from him!
Thats your CYA... And if you get the following from him in writing you should be fine:
asked him and his answer was this: The two services defaulted are small filter changes, and, that the gearbox etc would not have been checked anyway , so he sees no reason why they wouldnt honour the warranty. but he also said. Nissan only ask to see the service records 50% of the time, so you'll probably be fine. (this is not good enough for me as i dont gamble on anything)

He went on to say that he would certainly fight my case if need be as he has understood now how the previous owner has been ill advised, and how i was too, untill i brought it to his attention.
My experience of warranty claims is that they are handled by a call centre operator who wants to check if the car has been serviced and not the exact details of the service. In other words send the invoices and they're happy with that.

Consolation though is that the TD42 is known as a 'bulletproof' old tech engine.

The Aussies have debated the service interval extensively on Patrol4x4.com. General consensus is that 5000km - 7500km is a good service interval to replace oil and oil filters.
GQ Patrol, 4.2D
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

I agree re the 7500km interval, even 5000km intervals are encouraged , no doubt. Both my hilux 4x4's (2.4D & 2.8D) and isuzu 4x4 (280DT) serviced every 5000km religiously by yours truly! never had issues, best way to keep that motor running like a sewing machine.

Its more my g-box i am worried about as i have a small reverberation noise at low rpm, as you pull away or as i am putting along. My Last ptrol (a 2006 Pickup with 103 000km on clock) had the same noise but i only had that for 4 days and it was stolen. :rolleyes: , so i kinda thought it was a patrol thing, but i'm scared it may get worse over time and i want to remedy the problem on Nissan's account before i reach 100 000km, as these extended warranty claims seem to be nightmare's to execute in your benefit.

Keep the thoughts and opinions rolling in chaps.

Russ
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by JG Shields »

Hi Russ,

I have not seen your "warrenty" to verify the type warrenty you have. However, an extended warrenty is usually nothing else than a insurance policy. The conditions is the same as any other insurance policy namely:

1. As soon as the policy is incepted and issued the underwriter accepts the risk that passed to him in exchange for the premium. He can not cancel the cover after this point.
2. The risks he is prepared to cover are the risks stipulated in the policy wording. In a mechanical warrenty policy it is normally set out in a table of covered items.
3. The insured values are limited to the values stated in the above mentioned table or the incoice value for the repairs should it be less that the max limit.
4. The insured values is also detemined by the particular vehicles kilometers on the clock.

The history of the car (ownership, service history etc) flies out the window as soon as the policy incepts. However, if you want to renew the policy on expiry date of the insured period, you have to give proof of maintenance according to make & model standards and dealer requirements for the expired insured period.

Therefore, a mechanical warranty has got nothing to do with the dealer as such. The dealers act as insurance agents at the point of vehicle & policy sales.

Question? With less than 100k km on your clock, why do you not have your original Nissan guarantee on the vehicle? Is the vehicle older than the guarantee period for the make & model?
Patrol fan!
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

My Vehicle Is NOT 3 years old yet, and the milage is only 89 000km, so yes, i am, on paper, under warranty. But its the part of my story where i mention that the previous owner was advised by His Nissan Dealership to only service it every 15k , hence the two missing service stamps, that worries me, as it clearly states in the book that the book must be complete and in full for my warranty to be valid. I'm shitting myself as i dont want to be told that i'm not covered by a nissan warranty, or an extended warranty, just because some dealership gave the previoius owner incorrect advice! Surly i will have some recourse on this and that they will be held accountable for their actions and ill advice?

I'm worried .

Russ

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”