Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Re: Who is doing what to their patrols ?

Post by hugejp »

I heard there was an event at Goerapan, what was happening?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Forest
Full Name: Neil Crause
Nickname: Forest
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i (sold)
Home Language: English

Post by Forest »

Good day Gents

So my Fiancé and I have decided to do a little overland trip for our honeymoon next year May. So over the next few months I'll be preping our patrol for the overland trip.

We plan to do the Namakwa 4x4 eco trail and a few days in the /Ai / Ais- Richtersveld TF park. So there is quite abit of off the grid camping.

So this past weekend I finished my duel battery system and compressor. Now to find suitable batteries.

Yesterday got a set of Terrain Tamer coils. The excitement got to me and so I fitted them yesterday afternoon. Thanks to Marinus and his team for getting the coils to me. I maintained the 2 inch lift option as was previously installed and did a 100kg constant weight infront and 300kg constant for the rear.

Results of before and after measurements. Measured from bottom edge of rim to bottom edge of the fender flare. A side by side photo of the old and new.

Before

RHR = 775mm, LHR = 795mm, RHF = 805, LHF = 815

After

RHR = 815mm, LHR = 830mm, RHF = 840mm, LHF = 835

I'll post updates as I go along.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

izakjbrt
Full Name: Izak Joubert
Nickname: Izak
Home Town: Ramsgate
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4,8 GRX (PA-trol)
2012 Patrol 4.8 GRX (MA-trol)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by izakjbrt »

hugejp wrote: 17 Oct 2020 15:36 I heard there was an event at Goerapan, what was happening?
Just some lekka dune driving, and me and the missus deciding we are moving there NOW!
2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
BaasWiets
Full Name: Wietsche Swanepoel
Nickname: Wiets
Home Town: Delmas
Current 4x4: Nissan Hardbody
Nissan Patrol

Post by BaasWiets »

Forest wrote: 28 Oct 2020 09:52 Good day Gents

So my Fiancé and I have decided to do a little overland trip for our honeymoon next year May. So over the next few months I'll be preping our patrol for the overland trip.

We plan to do the Namakwa 4x4 eco trail and a few days in the /Ai / Ais- Richtersveld TF park. So there is quite abit of off the grid camping.

So this past weekend I finished my duel battery system and compressor. Now to find suitable batteries.

Yesterday got a set of Terrain Tamer coils. The excitement got to me and so I fitted them yesterday afternoon. Thanks to Marinus and his team for getting the coils to me. I maintained the 2 inch lift option as was previously installed and did a 100kg constant weight infront and 300kg constant for the rear.

Results of before and after measurements. Measured from bottom edge of rim to bottom edge of the fender flare. A side by side photo of the old and new.

Before

RHR = 775mm, LHR = 795mm, RHF = 805, LHF = 815

After

RHR = 815mm, LHR = 830mm, RHF = 840mm, LHF = 835

I'll post updates as I go along.

Cheers

Hallo ek het ook 300kg constant load coils agter in my patrol gehad jy moet net pasop as jy begin goed vasbout en insit dan is daai 300kg coils te lig in die broek ek moes toe na n 600kg constant coils gaan en n tower brace of jy kan met airbags sukkel. Ek het ook drawers agter in met 2 yskaste en n roofrack met n awning en solar op die dak daai goed raak baie vinnig swaar. En die tower brace was 6mm plaat wat soos n L gebuig is wat ons vasgebout het maar dit was nie lekker job gewees nie sal dit nooit weer doen daar is te veel goed ini pad allerhande pype. Dit is seker beter as n coil tower wat breek.
Forest

Post by Forest »

Dungbeetle wrote:Gents

I don't have time to show the calcs now, but in short : (pun intended)

Assume you have a fully charged very large main battery and a infinitely big alternator and very thick cables

If you now connect one flat (11.9V) 105Ah aux battery directly to that, the current flow from the charged system to the flat battery will very very unlikely be higher than 32A

Take my word for it....

NOW, using both parallel batteries simultaneously to start an engine is looking for trouble.....That can easily jump to 250A between the batteries, from aux to main
@Dungbeetle

You previously commented on a post relating to cable size on a dual battery system. So I was wondering if you could help here.

So ive used 5m of 95mm2 cable (largest diameter i could find sold per meter) which is about 14mm in diameter connecting the front and rear mounted auxiliary battery through a switchable solenoid. Which can connect the batteries in parallel for some extra power when winching, or if needed to Jump start the main battery

I want to fuse the power cable using a 300amp circuit breaker. Would the 300amp be sufficient or would I need to look for 400 or 500 amp?

Thanks

Dungbeetle
Full Name: Rudolf
Nickname: Dungbeetle
Home Town: Ellisras
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.2GL Wagon old and wise at 880 000 km
2014 Patrol 3.0GL CRD reaching puberty at 150 000 km
Home Language: Afr

Post by Dungbeetle »

Forest wrote: 28 Oct 2020 20:35

Assume you have a fully charged very large main battery and a infinitely big alternator and very thick cables

If you now connect one flat (11.9V) 105Ah aux battery directly to that, the current flow from the charged system to the flat battery will very very unlikely be higher than 32A

Take my word for it....

NOW, using both parallel batteries simultaneously to start an engine is looking for trouble.....That can easily jump to 250A between the batteries, from aux to main
@Dungbeetle

You previously commented on a post relating to cable size on a dual battery system. So I was wondering if you could help here.

So ive used 5m of 95mm2 cable (largest diameter i could find sold per meter) which is about 14mm in diameter connecting the front and rear mounted auxiliary battery through a switchable solenoid. Which can connect the batteries in parallel for some extra power when winching, or if needed to Jump start the main battery

I want to fuse the power cable using a 300amp circuit breaker. Would the 300amp be sufficient or would I need to look for 400 or 500 amp?

Thanks

95mm2 is huge...also be very careful with installing ensuring zero chance of that shorting somewhere. If that shorts and you do not have instant fuse/trip = fire

Very few starters draw more than 200 Amp at max load....
2000 Patrol GL 4.2D - Still strong just short of 900 THOUSAND KILOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEETERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS - Daily Tractor
2014 CRD at 170k km - Sunday Tractor
2012 NP300 DC - platkar
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Not to hijack the topic but the smartpass on the c teck specify 95mm cable for normal battery 16 sould do it
Forest

Post by Forest »

Dungbeetle wrote:
Forest wrote: 28 Oct 2020 20:35

Take my word for it....

@Dungbeetle

Thanks

95mm2 is huge...also be very careful with installing ensuring zero chance of that shorting somewhere. If that shorts and you do not have instant fuse/trip = fire

Very few starters draw more than 200 Amp at max load....
Thanks Dungbeetle

I contacted the cable supplier and his specs on the cable states 232amp continuous rating. So ill put in a 200amp ANL fuse.

Cheers

izakjbrt
Full Name: Izak Joubert
Nickname: Izak
Home Town: Ramsgate
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4,8 GRX (PA-trol)
2012 Patrol 4.8 GRX (MA-trol)

Post by izakjbrt »

My plan vir die volgende naweek of twee, om die yskas tussen die voorste sitplekke in te sit

IMG_5382.jpg
IMG_5382.jpg (588.1 KiB) Viewed 6511 times
2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Sjoe, netjies, waar het jy die yskas opgespoor? Ek kyk met groot belangstelling, dankie.
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”