Full Name: Alec Buggs
Nickname: Alec
Home Town: Napier
Current 4x4: Nil
Home Language: English

Patrol query.

Post by Buggsy »

Good day folks
I have +/- R1750000.00 to spend on a Patrol. I'm biased towards a diesel with automatic transmission. Is there any model that I should steer well clear of?
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Patrol query.

Post by ChristoSlang »

The early 3.0 diesels had some hiccups - you'll find a number of posts on this and other sites detailing them.

If you take proper precautions like servicing the motor regularly, ensuring that the diesel pump does not over-fuel (black smoke under acceleration) fitting an exhaust gas temperature monitor (should have placed this item at the very beginning!), etc. you should be fine, even with one of the early models...

Happy hunting!
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Post by KOOS BEST »

ChristoSlang wrote:The early 3.0 diesels had some hiccups - you'll find a number of posts on this and other sites detailing them.

If you take proper precautions like servicing the motor regularly, ensuring that the diesel pump does not over-fuel (black smoke under acceleration) fitting an exhaust gas temperature monitor (should have placed this item at the very beginning!), etc. you should be fine, even with one of the early models...

Happy hunting!
Hi Bugsby, what Christo have said is spot on.
The 2000 -2002 models were a bit suspect, by now they'll all be sorted out anyway, weel hopefully by agents and previous owners.
Try to get a post 2003 facelift model GRX spec if possible, all hiccups sorted out and go for Auto. Auto,s are just much superior off road.And it is a safety issue as well, ie. no stalling ect ect.
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Hi Bugsby,

I had a 2001 model 3.0Di auto. I must confirm everything that Koss & Christo said AND YES the auto is just magnifique..... on and off-road!

JG
Patrol fan!
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Hi Bugsby,

I have a 2002 3.0L Diesel GRX Auto - almost 145 000 km on the clock and enjoying my vehicle very much. Yes I currently have some hangs ups with my car but they are "man made" - not due the vehicle or manufacturer.

It is an awesome vehicle - and you will not regret buying one!!

In fact Koos Best on the forum here wants to sell his 2003 3.0L GRX model - but is a manual however and maybe a little bit outside your price range. If I remember correctly he wanted R180K - WHICH IS REALLY NOT A BAD BUY!! But talk to him - if I had the money and needed to buy such a vehicle now I will make an effort to get the extra cash to buy his - it is a magnificent vehicle. Check posting http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... =850#p7663

Daar is fotos van sy kar op die 2de bladsy van die post.
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

My 2c worth is this, if it makes any difference to your hunting;

I disagree with the comment that the Auto Box is better off road. In my opinion the only time it will be better is when you driving a petrol motor in deep sand, and i suppose, perhaps in bumper to bumper traffic.

The benefits of a manual box will always out weigh the auto:

Steep ascents and descents gear selection is judged by you
No runaway or kick-ups midway through something difficult
more fuel efficient
Far less expensive to repair if something goes bang (due to the simplicity in comparison to Auto box.)

I must however say though, that auto box's do limit how much one can damage a motor, particularly diesels, where it counts on the second hand market, as previous owner would not have been able to over-rev the motor (head gaskets,rings,etc) nor under-rev it (conrods etc).

Keep us posted
Russ
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Russ,

1. Kick-up's and down can be controlled by selecting a fixed gear.
2. The gear selection process of a good auto rig is flawless ito rev, power demand etc and therefor do not stall/let you down when you need it.
3. Less mechanical stuff at risk (clutch).
4. Less wheel slip, better traction.

In a nuttshell:

a. An Auto rig is not emotional, skillful, quite clever and do not make the tipical human mistakes. Yes its a challenge for some people to overcome it.
b. If they were not the better 4x4 option, the modern military world would not have gone that way. It facinating to talk to a Denel designer on this subject.
Patrol fan!
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Hi Russ,

I have always liked to drive manual cars - very much for the reason that I am in control of the power I want and the revs I want to use - but that's with normal road cars. Whewn it comes to 4x4 I have also had both but unfortunately must support JG 100% in his statements. I am already on my 2nd auto 4x4 and as far as 4x4 goes will never go back to a manual. If you know how to drive an auto in a 4x4 environment it will always outperform a manual when it comes to wheel slip, power demand, stalling etc etc - like JG said.

Yes you are 100% correct an auto is more expensive and will in most cases have a higher fuel comsumption than manual - but for the safety and less mechanical wear I am willing to "take the chance" and pay the price. There is also other downside factors like towing an auto vehicle - it is not good practise to tow an auto 4x4 for long distances unless you take your propshaft off. On a hill climp going over rocks through ditches etc the auto box will be superior - going down that same hill on a decent the manual will be superior due to ability of the engine & gear selection being able to be used as a braking system. Auto has a tendancy to "run" away on a decent - even with a fixed gear selection - you need to use your brake more. Then again a mistake with a manual car on a hill decent could also result in a runaway vehicle. And so we can carry on with the name, blame and shame of manual vs auto. On the vast number of 4x4 trips I have been on it was always the manual guys running into problems - and you always smell their clutches - don't tell me that is not a sign of excessive wear!!

So once again - like with most things in life - everything has it's pro's and con's - and I think it is difficult to say which outweighs which. Personally I think it comes to personal prefferance and likings!!

My :mytwocents:
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Post by KOOS BEST »

My experience with Auto vs Manual, well I never owned an Auto, but in all my years of off roading, and I am talking touring through difficult terrain etc. the Auto's were by FAR superior than than the manuals.
What JG and Pieter have said I support fully. Personally for me , this is what I have personally experienced , the only down side was the heat build up of Auto boxes during extremely difficult long stretches of sand with heavy loads and the other not be able to break or descent by compression.

Russ , you said steep ascents are judged by you on a manual, sorry I have only seen Auto's getting over long sand dunes , manual had no chance or no go.

The days of saying Auto's are for old men , are long past.
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

KOOS BEST wrote:Personally for me , this is what I have personally experienced , the only down side was the heat build up of Auto boxes during extremely difficult long stretches of sand with heavy loads and the other not be able to break or descent by compression. The days of saying Auto's are for old men , are long past.
100% spot on Koos :thumbup:
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”