Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: My Patrol Pickup thread...

Post by Peter Connan »

Russ, sorry for the late reply.

The Y60 chassis was "modified" to become the Y61 chassis by the addition of two tapering "crumple zones" that were welded into the front of the chassis legs. The welds attaching these can be clearly seen. The furthest forward cross members in these cars is a round one with a kink in it, placed just where the chassis leg starts curving to pass over the front axle.

On the 4.8, they changed these "crumple points" and added an extra cross-member made of square tube that bends down about 40-50mm right next to each chassis leg. This chassis member sits right behind the back edge of the standard bumper, and effectively right underneath the radiator. The edge of this is just visible in the top-right of SJC's picture.

Secondly, on the 4.8 there is a 3mm thick pressed steel guard under the radiator. It bolts onto the bottom of each chassis leg with two M14 bolts and under the additional cross-member with three M8 bolts. This is also visible in the photo. Usually, the recovery point is also fitted with the two M14 bolts on the driver's side, but is obviously not there in this case.

Pity I didn't see this when I was still at work, I have a drawing of it there. It's a piece of 32mm round bar bent into a half-loop and flattened where it bolts onto the chassis.
If your car has the 4.8-based chassis, then I am sure the 4.8 points would fit, but if it is based on the older chassis (and i know some pickups are because I looked at Christo Boegman's first one) then the mounting holes are not present.
As you know, I make recovery points for the older models. My recovery points are 16mm thick WA350 plate (with a working load of around 16 tonnes), and the 4.8 points are stronger than that according to my maths.

If you need more, Thinus was on his way through Moz once. Fully-loaded car with boat trailer behind. He takes a dirt road shortcut, with a river-crossing along the way. It had rained heavily, and Tinus was too lazy to walk the crossing. He hung the trailer's axle up on a submerged stump, and got stuck.

A passing 4x4 tried to snatch him, but no use. Then they got a local with a tractor to try. No luck, but pulled so hard they damaged one of the trailer's spring packs. Finally the unhitched the trailer and got the car out, and then lifted the trailer over the stump.

I would be happy to snatch with that point, and the great thing is that you don't need a shackle.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 4.2 GQ (TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Peter Connan wrote:You can buy them from Nissan for about R550 each, and I promise they are stronger than anything you can buy anywhere else.
Nissan d(st)ealership in Nelspruit quoted me R765.57

I also ended up getting the rollbar. Which I fitted this morning. Looks a lot better with it on and there is nice place for the kids to hold on when going on (slow) drives. Will post pic later.

Only thing is that I will have to create some space between the spare wheel carrier and the bin, as there is now not enough space for the spare wheel. (I will take some pics of this later to explain it better.)
Will have to get longer bolts, and then fit some square/rect. tubing between the carrier and the bin, or use spacers. Will probably have to put about 5cm between the carrier and the bin, must still measure it..

Russ where is your spare situated? also behind the cabin like mine?
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Pics of the rollbar.
(Sorry about the quality, bit dark for my phone).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (797.24 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (892.13 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (731.22 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
Dewald
Full Name: Dewald Johannes Maree
Nickname: Dewald
Home Town: Rustenburg
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol 3.0 DI GRX
2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dci Kingcab
2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 Grx
2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8 Grx

Post by Dewald »

Looks very nice and its got a nice place to hold on to.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Pete: Thanks so much for the explanation in regard to the chassis and differences,... i pride myself on knowing much about the Pickup but i had never ever in my readings come across that,... and it seems 100% spot on as my chassis is different. I will post up some pics when i can to illustrate. I cant remember what year model SJC's patrol is?... mine is a Late 2007. I did notice the pressed steel rounded part on all models since the Turbo intercooled models were released (2008 onwards),but i had always assumed it was just protection/mounting for a larger oil cooler, hahaha... so that could be when they changed i guess. I have never had a close look at the TD42ti in person, not many where i live, not many patrol bakkies at all.

SJC: The Roll Bar looks great. Its the same one like i have. Should give you a more comfortable ride now with a bit of weight on the back too. The Spare wheel on mine also buts up against the back like yours. But remember,.. depending on what size tyres you have and type of rim offset, will depend on how mush back spacing you need. I have had to change my spacers behind the mounting bracket 3 different time. Mostly due to my canopy addition (obviously no roll bar then).. I also had to cut the threaded T-Rod as it was too long once i had my chosen tyre rim combo and the canopy setup.

Its easy,.. just get longer bolts. Buy yourself a meter of round tube with an Inside diameter just wide enough to slip over the bolts. Cut 4 small identical sections, and there you have your spacers. I had some aluminium tubing lying in my garage (cheap stuff you can get even at Builders Warehouse), so i just used that. mild steel will also work. It looks better that adding a million washers in there.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Russ Kellermann wrote: I cant remember what year model SJC's patrol is?...

It's a 2008.
Russ Kellermann wrote: I have never had a close look at the TD42ti in person, not many where i live, not many patrol bakkies at all.
This is the beauty of driving a Patrol pickup.(and why we dont drive toyotas :clap: ). I drove up to cape town and back last week, returned 2 days ago, and did not see one patrol pickup.
Russ Kellermann wrote:Its easy,.. just get longer bolts. Buy yourself a meter of round tube with an Inside diameter just wide enough to slip over the bolts. Cut 4 small identical sections, and there you have your spacers. I had some aluminium tubing lying in my garage (cheap stuff you can get even at Builders Warehouse), so i just used that. mild steel will also work. It looks better that adding a million washers in there.
-
I will give this a try, i might have some tubing lying around.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

This is my hook. Pete, is the 4.8 similar or what?
Attachments
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2720 times
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Russ, that"s one of life's great mysteries: who Patrols don't sell in SA.

No, yours is the older style (in fact exactly the same as the factory fitment on my '96 Y60). The 4.8's is much stronger.

SJC, even at that price it's still worth it, but if you want you can phone around Kempton/Edenvale/Centurion and if you are not too hasty, Tinus or I could get it for you and I could bring it next time I come to Nelspruit (I have a buddy who farms nuts just outside of town).
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

4cm exstra was enough to make the spare fit..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (919.76 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Last edited by SJC on 01 Mar 2018 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Mine looks identical. The round tube worked well i see, did on mine too. Nice mate.

I have seriously good recovery points at the rear, as do you SJC, as you have the same rear bar as me. The front tho is a different story. I'm either going to go the 4.8 Route then, or perhaps aftermarket,..will have a look whats out there.

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”