Full Name: Mark S Bennett
Nickname: Mark B
Home Town: Windhoek
Current 4x4: Toyota Prado
Home Language: english

Returning to SA with a Patrol - Customs Commodity Code

Post by Mark B »

Hi

I need some assistance - I am returning to the SA after a couple of years in Namibia. I now have to get all the documentation for the car together. First an import permit from South Africa's International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC). One of the things that the application form stipulates is what is the Customs Tariff Heading under which the vehicle would fall. My vehicle is a Patrol Y61, 3.0l, diesel. It would appear I have two options:

1. Heading: “Motor cars and other motor vehicles principally designed for the transport of persons, including station wagons and racing cars”
Sub-Heading: “Other vehicles, with compression-ignition internal combustion piston engine (diesel or semi-diesel)”
Sub-Sub-Heading: “Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 2 500 cm³”
Which would be HS 8703.33.90

2. Heading: “HS 87.04 - Motor vehicles for the transport of goods”
Sub-Heading: “HS8704.2 - Other vehicles, with compression-ignition internal combustion piston engine (diesel or semi-diesel)”
Sub-Sub-Heading: “G.V.M. not exceeding 5 t: Other, double-cab, of a vehicle mass not exceeding 2 000 kg or a G.V.M. not exceeding 3 500 kg, or of a mass not exceeding 1 600 kg or a G.V.M. not exceeding 3 500 kg per chassis fitted with a cab”
Which would be HS 8704.21.81

I think it should be classified according to 1 (above); but when the car was imported into Namibia they used option 2 (above). What code should I use?

The after this is the NRCS - and sigh - I have found that some of the safety belts, and both back light sets, are "Jap Domestic Specs". I must say however that the NISSAN SA have been extremely helpful thus far - I think fixing the above could be an expensive exercise!
Mark B
Windhoek
Zantus
Full Name: Barto de Koning
Nickname: Zantus
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: '01 4.5 GU & '91 4.2D GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Returning to SA with a Patrol - Customs Commodity Code

Post by Zantus »

Contact the guy from www.springbokimports.co.za , he helps people like yourself to bring vehicles into SA on your return to SA.

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”