dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Why I'm so happy with my decision to own a Patrol

Post by dieselfan »

Having recently returned from Moz I'm now happier than ever I own a Patrol. I've done a few trips with the Patrol each towing heavy loads etc. On my Kgalagadi trip in Feb I was able to compare to a Pathfinder. On the open road the Pathy kills me in fuel consumption, doing around 11-12km/l. Whilst there we hitched the trailer on the Pathfinder, it's consumption shot up to around 21-22l/100km. The Patrols consumption barely varied with or without the load. It averaged around 18l/100km open road and on the sand with the trailer. Our trailer takes 40l fuel and 120l water, 80l fridge. What stood out was that during the corrugated sections we were happy to cruise along at 40km/h. The pathfinder would come flying past at 80+ (yes I know illegally, but driver was getting really "upset"), interestingly I saw a park ranger in a hilux doing the same... We heard the corrugations but barely felt them. I was kinda happy with that in seeing that the Patrol when used for overlanding doesn't really stress at all. Still on the highway the Pathfinder blew the Patrol away consumption wise.

Witnessed 6 broken down vehicles in Lesotho (1 Disco Sani Pass, 3 Hilux, 1 Taxi, 1 LC200) all drivetrain related. In fact EVERY time I go I see drivetrain issues.

Enroute to Moz, I was convoy with a LC76 4.2 NA. Both cars were filled up at same station. I had a much heavier load but uphills had to slow down to 60-70km/h as the LC lacked torque. My right leg cramping from barely touching the pedal. When we stopped, the Patrol used about 1.5l less. Driving at night I noticed how the LC's lights would aim at the ground then sky, like a kid playing with a torch. The Patrol by comparison was more like the gradual motion experienced on a large cruise ship. My lights moved slowly. Overall I'm now happier than ever, after seeing around 4 broken vehicles in Moz due to weaker suspensions (all IFS, and all Toyota, Moz is a big Toy dealership ;) ), broken wishbones, cv's, side shafts etc. I'm convinced you NEED double solid axles. Above that I really wanted a LC76 and with respect I love them, but the fact that in this "class" LC / Patrol / Defender the petrol 4.8 patrol used LESS fuel than the diesel handled the dunes easier etc. Means I made the right decision. In this league we all get around 17l. Sealevel is addictive that Patrol um...goes bloody fast! Even my kids were smiling with the engine singing along at 5000 rpm - and SOOOO smooth. No temp issues, nothing.

Swaziland coming soon :blonde:

So VS the Pathy, it won't last (neither will any other IFS / IRS car but I believe the Pathy is physically stronger) doing these type of trips, VS LC I paid 60% the price and feel like I have so much more. Thats ex the sunroof, leather, electric mirrors, autobox, cc and cc, discs all round and 6 airbags and double the power. The Patrol is a 76 and LC200 mixed.

Put simply the Patrol feels the light bumps and irons out the bad ones.

Thanks again to this excellent forum and personally Peter Connan for entertaining me over the years :salute:

I'm one VERY happy Patrol owner. :thumbup:
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Why I'm so happy with my decision to own a Patrol

Post by Herrie »

I'm glad you have a Patrol and are nice about it - the Patrol is the best vehicle to have :thumbup:
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
BABELAAS
Full Name: LOWE
Nickname: MARC
Home Town: BRONKHORSTSPRUIT
Current 4x4: 2015 Navara 4X4
Home Language: ENGLISH

Post by BABELAAS »

Hi Herrie,
Nice honest article, it has made me think again.
I was considering buying a Pathy as I think they are the best of both worlds and 10 times more vehicle than a Fortuner, But your article has brought me back to ground, the 4.8 is absolutely awesome as an overland vehicle. I have had a few trips around Nam and Bots and never had so much as a flat tyre ( but saw a few Hiluxes and Landy's stuck at the side of the road with mechanical problems). I may pay a lot more at the pumps, but its worth the peace of mind of always getting back from a trip trouble free.
:thumbup:
BABELAAS

2015 Navara 4X4
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

It is much better to spend a bit extra money on fuel to have the Patrol then spend a lot of money just to think you will get a better vehicle that will use less fuel. :oldtimer:
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
MarkASmith
Full Name: Mark Anthony Smith
Nickname: Mistral
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Conqueror Commander
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Yamaha Tenerra 660

Post by MarkASmith »

Herrie, you are so right.
MarkASmith
Full Name: Mark Anthony Smith
Nickname: Mistral
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Conqueror Commander
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Yamaha Tenerra 660

Post by MarkASmith »

So back on the Patrol forum after many months and reading though some of the posts. Came upon this one and had to comment.

Sold my Ford ranger a few months back and bought a 2.5 Navara auto. Lovely vehicle to drive so decided when going away for the long weekend to try the Navara and see how it fared towing my Conqueror Commander verses the Patrol.

Well have to say I was shocked as it only average of 16.8 L/100 @ 110km/h. Should have taken my Patrol.

So the lesson once again is drive a Patrol as it may be heavy on fuel but firstly you know what your costs are going to be and secondly it will never let you down.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Welkom back Mark!

If you clean the PCV valve of the Patrol you will get better fuel consumption.
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”