Full Name: Johan Buys
Nickname: Johan
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2D GL '99
Home Language: Afrikaans

Service 350 000Km '99 4.2d

Post by Johan B »

Hi All.

Some advice please. My '99 4.2D is on 349 000 Km. I would like to have a proper service done and maybe as preventative measure replace a few things.

I am not sure whether the injectors have been replaced or not but there are no issues with the vehicle at all. Fuel consumption in town is 7.7 km/l and open road about 7km/l.

Now, where do I take it for a decent service in JHB and what will need attention at this millage?

Bought it in 2009, replaced the fan, fan belts, and radiator pipes, cleaned the radiator (Silverton) and serviced the vehicle regularly (self, oil and filters, radiator fluids) and put in diesel (lots). Nothing els.

Johan
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Service 350 000Km '99 4.2d

Post by ricster »

Johan,

I have the same year and model as you, but with aftermarket turbo and intercooler.

Injectors are suposed to be changed ( recon'ed ) every 90 000 Km ( as per Bosch Diesel advice). Recon injectors cost about R450 each. Its a relatively easy thing to do yourself but lots of care to be taken with the diesel return rail ( pipe) as this can twist and crack. SAC in Centurion ( speak to Mynhard) does a lot of 4.2 diesel Patrols and if you tell him what oil you want he will use it. Grant and myself and quite a few others prefer Delo 400 oil instead of other manufacturers.

Thats all that a diesel requires..... oh and bleed the radiator fluid and replace with either Silverton Radiator's product ( they should know whats best for your radiator) or genuine Nissan antifreeze/coolant in the correct proportions.

Ensure that all your hoses are in good condition

Possibly drain and replace clutch fluid as well as brake fluid.

Grease up the universals on the prop shaft
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

What Cedric said! I paid <R300 per injector, and they were new (not reconditioned). YMMV.

You may also want to replace the glow plugs - They're generic items (the boxes reckoned "Suitable for Nissan/Isuzu/Toyota"), even cheaper than the injectors and much easier to replace!

What do the brake & clutch fluids look like? They're hygroscopic and must be replaced every few years to prevent rust....
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Mabe look at diffs oil and berings just new oil and a repack?
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

When last were the oils checked for the diffs, gearbox and transfer case? Those are worth checking out. When last did you flush the engine with engine flush? Stuff tends to build up in the sump over the years, so it might be worth the time to give the engine flush a go and clean out the old girl's guts. I don't know when you last had the tappets reset, I tend to get this done every 20,000km's. It makes the engine sound a hell of a lot more civilized.

Otherwise as the others said, get your injectors done. If they're a bit tired, you'll notice a nice extra bit of pull and maybe your fuel consumption will improve a bit too if they're a bit stuffed. I replaced my clutch around 365,000km's, but that was because I was about to install the Safari Turbo kit. Other than that, just give the it a thorough once over with a grease gun and you should be good. I'm on 373,000 km's now and all seems to be going swimmingly (touch wood). I do change the oil every 5000km's and do a decent service every 10,000kms.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”