Full Name: Richard lechmere-Oertel
Nickname: RichardL-O
Home Town: Pietermaritzburg
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2D 1996
Home Language: English

Sourcing parts for an Oz spec Patrol

Post by rlo »

Hi everyone
I have a 1996 Patrol 4.2D (GU) that was bought new by my father from an agent, but turns out to be a 'not-approved-by-Nissan grey' import from Oz by the agency. The VIN number (JN1WRGY60A0510475) does not appear on the Nissan SA parts system so they can't (won't?) sell me parts as they say the spec might be different.

Is there is such a big difference between the Oz spec patrols of that era and those made for SA? Seems a bit strange if so.

Anyway, can anyone advise me on how to get parts for such a situation. According to my mechanic I need the following:

Front swipe seal kits
Front knuckle bearings
Front drag link
Rear stabiliser bar "D" bushes
Engine mountings

Can one get generic parts for these?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Richard
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"

Re: Sourcing parts for an Oz spec Patrol

Post by Ross »

Hi rlo,

If your Patrol is a 1996, then it is a GQ, not a GU. The VIN number you have quoted (...Y60...) also indicates a GQ. GU`s are designated Y61, and were built from late 1997 onwards.

It is highly unlikely that there is any difference between the spec of your patrol, and any agent approved 4.2D GQ that was sold in SA....particularly in respect of the parts that you have listed.

Of the parts listed, I think you will need to get most of it from the agent. In my experience it is worth paying the agents premium for things like seals and engine mounts, as the quality of the after-market rubber based stuff seems to be inferior for some reason. Hopefully one of the GQ guys will chime in soon with some more specific info, but for drag link you can make up a custom one by threading the ends of some hollow bar and fitting a set of aftermarket GQ tie rod ends (the agent will hit you about R3500 for a drag link, so it pays to improvise!). Check the link below for more info on this mod:

http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/forum/forum_ ... PN=0&TPN=2

and here: http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=736

To get the parts you need from Nissan, maybe someone here with a GQ 4.2D will be kind enough to "lend" you their VIN.

Hope that helps somewhat!
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
rlo

Post by rlo »

Hi Ross
Thanks for really helpful response. I will have the drag link made up as suggested.

If there is anyone who can 'lend' me their VIN no. to match, I would much appreciate it.

Regards
Rich
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

rlo, there are a number of guys on this forum with 4.2 Petrol SGL's (including me), with VIN numbers starting with ADNC, but with a chassis plate that clearly says "Made in South Africa" that get the same grey import story from Nissan SA. Despite this I have bought parts from Nissan several times. The procedure is that you have to pay 100% non-refundable deposit for them to order the parts, and although this is always a worry, I have not yet ended up with the wrong part.

My suggestion would be to have a look at the "fish" to see how many different part numbers are listed, and if there is only one, you can be reasonably certain it is the right stuff.

In terms of the swipe seals and knuckle bearings, I will have to dismantle mine this weekend as the oil seal behind the swipe bearing in my car is currently leaking, if you are in the JHB area, you are welcome to drop in to see if they are the same. It is a 5min job to get the swipe seal off? However I would be very surprised if the swipe seals, drag link or knuckle bearings or sway-bar bushes are any different from the Petrol cars.

With regard to engine mounts, the engine you have is the same as the engine in Ross's car, and from my observations the chassis all seem to be the same in that area. Ross or SRXy (I cant remember who) has recently replaced his engine mounts, perhaps you can get the old ones to check if they are the same?

Grant also has an Aussy-spec 4.2 Diesel, perhaps he can also help.

With regard to the drag link, there is another option, though not quite as good as the mod already mentioned but much cheaper, and that is to have the ball joints silicon-filled.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
rlo

Post by rlo »

Hi Peter
Thanks for the advice. I live in PMB so will not be able to join you as offered, but thanks anyway.
I will try order the parts as suggested.
Cheerio
Rich
weskus_surfer

Post by weskus_surfer »

I feel your pain. My GQ VIN starts with WRGY60... no JN1 at the beginning or that other jazz.

They can do a search through their system by model but sometimes there are 2 different parts listed for the GQs. Best explanation I got was in Aus, where they categorize GQs from '88 to '91 and '91 to '98/'99 hence sometimes 2 different parts for the same component. The only part I can help out with is the engine mounts.

GQs either have 2 bolt or 4 bolt engine mounts. You can check which you have by just looking into the engine bay.

Otherwise try the Aus site: http://www.patrol4x4.com I'm sure someone will oblige with the Nissan part numbers.

Cheers
GQ Patrol, 4.2D
Nikolai B
Full Name: Nikolai Bouwman
Nickname: Nikolai.euro4x4parts
Home Town: Girona. Spain
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol GR y60
Home Language: Nederlands

Post by Nikolai B »

We might be able to help you and will check after my break :givemebeer: ...

Meanwhile you can have a look yourself at the website http://www.euro4x4parts.com/nissan_part ... _eng_td42/

You can always contact me at nikolai@euro4x4parts.com. Don't forget that I might be able to give you a discount being a member of this forum

Speak to you later!
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

RLO,

I have a Aussie spec GQ 4.2D ST and have not had any problems with getting parts.The troll was imported from Aus by IC nissan, and sold as a new car. Steering pump paked up early and Nissan declined the warranty. After some facts where placed at Nissan's disposal, thye accepted the warranty. Make sure your dealer has the latest soft ware. I also struggled to get parts, but as soon as the new software was loaded at the dealer, no problem. Major problem was that my vin had one less number.

Give me a call at zero eight three six double zero four zero two three and I will give you my vin.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Nikolai B
Full Name: Nikolai Bouwman
Nickname: Nikolai.euro4x4parts
Home Town: Girona. Spain
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol GR y60
Home Language: Nederlands

Post by Nikolai B »

Hello Richard,

Just in case you have problems finding the right parts for your patrol!!!!!

We can deliver the following parts:

Front swipe seal kits
Front knuckle bearings
These are available individually but best deal is to buy PKP1411 which includes the above plus the oil seals etc (OEM quality - in stock)
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/pkp14 ... t_kit.html

Front drag link
DRO1260 (in stock) http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/dro12 ... _link.html

Rear stabiliser bar "D" bushes
The D bushes are almost certainly SKS4026 (18mm- in stock) http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/sks40 ... h_kit.html
- but other sizes available - please check sway bar outside diametre - see SKS4025 to SKS4029

Engine mountings
MSM1067 = front (engine (just 2 left in stock) http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/msm10 ... mount.html
MSM1066 = gearbox (rear engine) only 1 in stock but new stock expected in next couple of weeks.http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/msm10 ... ssion.html

If you interested let me know please and I'll calculate everyting with the discount and the delivery costs.

Baie dankie en cheers!!

Nikolai

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”