Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: LAZARUS is DEAD!

Post by JG Shields »

Oom Mac, vir wat dit werd is...onthou dat jou gewone voertuig versekering waterskade via brandstof dek net soos water wat deur 'n lugfilter ingesuig was. Jy kan 'n eis teen jou gewone polis instel. As jy die skade kan bewys moet hulle jou dan betaal en hulle sal dan die geveg met Engen verder voer. Die probleem is wel dat die skade bewys moet word en dat die eis binne 'n sekere tyd ingestel moet wees. Hulle gaan ook nie die eis betaal as die enjin reeds toegemaak is nie. Hulle sal 'n assessor wil stuur om te ondersoek.
Patrol fan!
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

eisjjjjjj - dankie - Wys jou, mens raak'ie te oud om te leer nie. Dankie JG. Hoop nou net daar het nie te veel tyd verlore gegaan nie... :pray:
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Post by KOOS BEST »

JG Shields wrote: Ons gaan self einde van die week vir 10 dae Mapungupbe en Tuli toe. .
Ons verwag n trip report en baie kiekies, n VOLLEDIGE REPORT NIKS ANDERS NIE!!!!!!!!
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by dieselfan »

Hi JG

Just to comment on your opinion about the D3 lowering at 45 over sand...the D3 has IRS and IFS, looking at Patrol WHY is it the the front and rear diffs don't line up like a LC? Surely the Diff's are low too for a Patrol and would cause issues with Middle Mannetjies? The LC has the diffs neatly on the side.

Cheers
dieselfan

Post by dieselfan »

As for the engine fire, we had a Sani catch fire

- Tape deck stopped playing...
- +-5km later smoke through airvents
- I pulled over right outside Tembisa on the Olifants road
- I popped the bonnet flames shot up, told fam to back off (I was 20 at the time...)
- I grabbed the bottles of cooldrink we had as it was my boets Bday and started dowsing the flames

Electrics etc and fuel lines were melted all the way to fuel tank. Nissan took 4 months to rewire but in the end car was hopeless

Cause of fire? My dad had checked oil at a petrol station and they forgot to put oil cap back on. Oil splashed around shorted the battery, alternator cause more issues.

ALWAYS check oil cap,

I must say with my last 4 diesel vehicles I NEVER EVER check oil and the one is on 260k km since new. :salute: new cars have made me lazy.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

dieselfan wrote:Hi JG

Just to comment on your opinion about the D3 lowering at 45 over sand...the D3 has IRS and IFS, looking at Patrol WHY is it the the front and rear diffs don't line up like a LC? Surely the Diff's are low too for a Patrol and would cause issues with Middle Mannetjies? The LC has the diffs neatly on the side.
Dieselfan this is what those sandy roads look like:
Paaie 2 - Pumba byt stof.JPG
Paaie 2 - Pumba byt stof.JPG (68.29 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
The sand from the tracks pile up just next to the tracks, and there is actually a hollow in the middle.
Cars with both diffs on the side actually struggle more under these conditions.

The other thing you need to consider is that while ground clearance is only measured in one spot under a car, under conditions like this that is not the only place that may cause problems.

On paper a Pajero has more ground clearance than a Patrol, but anybody who has ever been on a rough trail where both these were present will tell you that the Pajero dragged everywhere while the Patrol almost never touched. This is because cars like the Pajero and D3/4 have virtually flat bottoms, but on the Patrol the diff pumkin is lowest, and every other part of the car has 75-100mm more ground clearance.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Dieselfan, I can not comment on the position of the diff pumpkin relative to the front and reas diffs of the Patrol vs LC. Only the design engineers will be able to answer that question. What I do know is that the solid diffs makes driving in deep sand (other than dunes where the "road" profile/surface remains fairly constant) tracks such as northern Botswana much easier than independent suspensions. As for the picture above of Jaco's Hilux, the problem with his IFS lies in the bulldozing effect of the IFS of the sand. Once a little bit of sand starts to accumilate in front of the suspension, your trouble is booked.

In my view a contributing factor to the problem lies in the fact that the entire middle portion of the suspension lowers (variable ground clearance of the suspension) under load and bumby conditions such as these sand tracks. A solid axle ground clearance remains constant. The D3/4 is the same than any other independent suspension vehicle although it has the option of a raised suspension to compensate for this problem. In fact it works very well since the suspension's ground clearance remains fairly high which makes driving in sand a pleasure. Unfortunately it is limited to a maximum speed before it lowers itself. The design is good but the practicality of the speed limit is stupid. We all know that the D3/4's "mommy goes shopping" mode/profile is very low. When the D3/4 is used in the "mgs" mode in sand, the belly becomes a road grader.
Patrol fan!
dieselfan

Post by dieselfan »

Thanks for the replies, has the patrol had any issues with middle mannetjie - honestly tho? Talking stock heights ie normal profile tyres.
JoseM
Full Name: Jose Mendez
Nickname: JAM
Home Town: Panama
Current 4x4: 200 GU TB45
Home Language: Spanish

Post by JoseM »

dieselfan wrote:Thanks for the replies, has the patrol had any issues with middle mannetjie - honestly tho? Talking stock heights ie normal profile tyres.
I dont remember that far back (stock tires and height) :rolling: Sorry, just joking :biggrin:

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”