Patrol advice / info needed

Nissan Patrol Reference Library. Reference Information, both general and technical
NTennant
Full Name: Nicholas
Nickname: Nick
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 patrol
Home Language: Englinsh

Patrol advice / info needed

Post by NTennant »

Good morning everone,

Thanks for the warm welcome - I need to bug you pro's for some info on Y60 Trols.

I heard a while ago that the Y60's were imported from a host of different countries (not too sure if thats accurate) but there seems to be subtle differnces in anycase in the Y60 models.

If this is true - how does one tell where it was from and which originating country has provided the best units?

On a less specific note, what are the top things one needs to look out for when buying a patrol second hand? Has anyone had offroad experience with the Y60 Auto? - not keen on it been auto, but may end up going with the auto...
Drive fast and take chances.
Life's not about how long you live... It's about how much you live.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Patrol advice / info needed

Post by ricster »

I'm not a fan of auto's either.... You say you are looking for a Y60..... but here is a Y61, that i must say if I had a few bob spare, I would buy this without blinking an eye. Especially for the price !!

I went all the way to Howick to get my Patrol... :doh: .... but worth every Km. See attached link on that Patrol.... and its Manual

http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/forum/forum_ ... PN=0&TPN=1

Then why not join us in your chevtrol on the 9th Jan at Groenkloof 4x4 track..... or... ok, ok even then with the disco..... :lol: :lol: .... If you want to, join the Nissan 4x4 Club ( R200 for the year ), and enjoy some great fun with us.

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3368
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
NTennant

Post by NTennant »

Keen, very keen.

The reason for the Y60 I think is paternal - my father has had his (with the chev V8) since I was around 9 or so (stock at the time). It's been a tow car for the racing, it's taken us to many great places - good fun. At the moment my old man is on his 3rd motor (long story) nothing wrong with the second motor but I think my old ballie has a tinkering fetish. The conversion was originally done by a gentlemen in PTA (Arrie De Beer) and he stuffed the car up to the point that it was basically FUBAR. My race engineer Craig Kinch is chucking the new 6.0 V8 in at the moment (all be it since the begining of 2012)... So will see you gents in the Disco.

I have a fetish for the Y60 - Think it's the business.

Will bring the Fam with though:)
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

For sure with the family.... its a family club !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Neil, personally I am a bit unsure as to the origin of the "run of the mill" SA Y60. I have one, and many of the forum members have almost exactly the same car. These are generally manual transmission cars with petrol engines, (although I have seen a couple of similar diesels) and are badged SGL. The chassis numbers start with ADNC35xxxxx, and the VIN plate (found on the engine bulkhead just in front of the driver) says "made in South Africa", but when presented with these numbers, Nissan SA says these cars are grey imports (although they now have a new program which can track these VIN numbers). Legend has it these were imported as CKD kits and assembled in the local Mercedes factory.

However I have never seen one of these with an auto box. There are two occasional forum members (Bogeyman and MVColler) I know of who own 4.2 petrol Autos. Both of these are also fuel injected (the only such cars I have seen), and both are known imports (often badged GR). Bogeyman's is a UNTAG relic, while MVC's was driven here from the UK. Bogeyman is very happy with his auto box, and at 610k Miles he replaced the engine with a 4.5 due to a faulty oil pressure sender (he thought the motor was kaput). MVC, however was not happy with his auto box and has now replaced both engine and box with a Lexus. This auto box is a three speed with overdrive, and to me that seems a bit two few, since I am often left wishing for a sixth gear in mine...

I also know of one or two cars that are of Auzzie birth, notably Grant's, but these are often turbo diesels (although often with aftermarket turbos). Generally, the standard VIN code should contain the country of manufacture. In this forum, there is a link to download the Y60's factory workshop manual, and the standard VIN code's makeup is explained in this document. The abovementioned ADNC35 codes do not follow this document though, leading credence to the CKD story.

Hope this helps?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
NTennant

Post by NTennant »

WOW!! Thanks Peter,
That was a great read - exactly what I was looking for.

My fathers is also badged as a SGL (Manual 4.2 carburetted). Of the patrols Y60's I've seen so far one was badged SGL but was an auto 4.2 injected with very different interior triming to my fathers and the other two Y60's I've seen. The vin of this car is JN10WGY60A0510027 which seems to be manufactured in Japan?

Thanks for the info Peter!!!!!

Return to “07. Reference Library”