Fuel for Patrol 4.8

Nissan Patrol Reference Library. Reference Information, both general and technical
NISMOnator
Full Name: Jacques Strauss
Nickname: NISMOnator
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Fuel for Patrol 4.8

Post by NISMOnator »

Hello,

What is the best fuel to use? As the 4.8 is a fairly modern engine, should you only stay with 95 unleaded or could you use 93 unleaded if you cant get the 95? :salute:
God follows me where I tread.....

2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX = GRIZZLY!!!
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Re: Fuel for Patrol 4.8

Post by Herrie »

At the moment I use 93 ULP from TOTAL and I get a much beter fuel consumption :oldtimer:
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Try it let's see didn't get a big dif so far
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

The 4.8 might be modern but it is also a relatively low compression engine (9:1) that allows it to consume fuel with lower octane levels. The ECU will also retard timing if it detects pinking. Most motor companies however recommend the use of the highest octane available for optimum performance. :thumbup:

Herrie : I hear what you say about Total but personally I'm a bit of a skeptic regarding the different brands of fuel as most stations get their fuel from the same refinery and only add their own additives. Here in the Western Cape everything comes from Caltex. :think:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

David, I usually used Caltex and Engen and ony day i filled up with Total and I got a better fuel consumption.

I nornally get 4.3 to 4.6 in town. With Total I get between 5.2 and 5.4 - tried it a couple of times and once put Engen in again and the consumption went down to 4.1!

I tried it with my Safari and the Sentra and also got better fuel comsumption with them on Total.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
David
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David »

Total is unfortunately on the other side of town otherwise I would have loved to give it a go. The 4.1 in town sounds about the same I get with BP :thumbup:
Last edited by David on 30 Apr 2012 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

NISMOnator
Full Name: Jacques Strauss
Nickname: NISMOnator
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by NISMOnator »

Thank you for the feedback! Good to know that the 4.8 motor is not full of nonsense when it comes to octane! But will use 95 where I can. :thumbup:

I dont want to spark something up here as everyone always have theyre own opinion on which fuel is the best.

Here is my :mytwocents: worth of advice. Whatever you do in my opinion stay away from ENGEN as they have the dirtiest fuel available. (You can search this online)

All fuel might come from the same place, but the different companies does do something special with those additives to make theyre fuel better or cleaner than others, CALTEX normally has a very clean fuel and on previous experiences would get better milage with it. Currently I use BP as it is the closest to me with 95, also my second bet when CALTEX is available. Good fuel consumption as well. On the 4.8 I can not comment as Ive had it for maybe 2 weeks.

All of the above worked for my previous vehicles accept for the Diesel one which it seems that SASOL has the best Diesel around. SASOL good all over I guess, but they are over expensive and should rather support the public as they are a local brand.

Like I said this is my finding and my opinion. :oldtimer:
God follows me where I tread.....

2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX = GRIZZLY!!!
David
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David »

Copied this from another forum as I think it is relevant & interesting...
We may be on to something here it looks like certain engines just run better with some fuel formulations.

Everybody uses the same base fuel from a local refinery but I understand each company adds their own additive package to the fuel when it goes into the delivery tanker truck.

For example my Merc loves Shell but the 540 hates it. This is quite understandable as the fuel companies have to formulate an "average" additive package for all cars and I think they all lean in one or another direction a bit due to marketing and the customer base they are trying to target. Just look at the advertising...

BP - Only ever adertise how clean their fuel is (Low additive package and low sulphur that won't dirty sensors?) I used to use only this with terrible mileage. Good for hi tech cars and probably closer to Euro III spec than the others.

Caltex with techron (target dirty engines with a heavy additive package?) My car doesn't seem to care but it helped my old 535i a few years back.

Shell ( Have always adertised a performance fuel, good burn additive package?) I definitly get a boost from this fuel especially if weather is hot. Mileage is average high rev power very good low rev power a bit flat.

Sasol (Used to often tout theirs as being a performance fuel, but not these days?) Car actually doesn't idle smooth with this.

Engen ( Advertise their unleaded as being "Dynamic" - maybe a balanced additive package?) My 540 goes super smooth with this and mileage increases, not more power but I can feel I'm pressing the acellerator less to maintain a set speed.

Now the thing with any engineering is you have to compromise - always you can't have a fuel burn perfectly AND clean perfectly AND leave the least deposits all at once, so you add more of one of the things it does, compromise on the rest and use it as an advertising stunt. You can have the cleanest burn for power but the fuel itself won't clean as well or you can have excellent detergent properties for cleaning and then it won't burn as well for power etc.

Diferent engine management systems and combustion chamber shapes will all prefer one or other of the formulations.

The only thing to do is try a few tanks of each till you find the one your exact car likes the most. With todays current insane fuel prices this could equal some significant savings, as it has in my case.

My particular car hates BP and loves Engen (the two extremes for it)

One more comment relevant to this. Modern engine management systems are typically designed to handle fuels from 87 to 100 ocatne and all they do when you throw a crappy fuel in is retard the timing and increase injector cycle for a richer mix that won't damage. throw a good fuel in and the adaptive EMS will try advance the timing and reduce injector cycle as far as it can go till it senses it's reached the limit of what the fuel allows.

Now to your average driver he would never know this is happening, the car would just feel a little flat and consumption would increase. So try the fuels and use the one that makes your car feel very responsive cruising on a light throttle (lean mix and advanced timing) because that is the fuel allowing the ECU to use the best settings. Only measure consumption 25Km after filling up with another brand and various driving conditions that allow the ECU to adapt.

Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »